“Restaurant Service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tarheel
“Restaurant Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to write this letter on behalf of Carolyn Todd. I was really impressed with the excellent service she provide at dinner. on 6 Dec.2012. The food was out standing. If am every in Birmingham for any reason I will stay at the Sheraton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Edward S,

Thank you so much for your review. It’s always a pleasure reading wonderful comments about the team at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. Carolyn will receive the credit she deserves.

Thank you.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I always stay at the Sheraton when in Birmingham, because they allow pets up to 80 pounds and I travel with my dogs. It is an average Sheraton, however, as a result of the design, the rooms overlooking the atrium are VERY loud. I have also had many issues with getting a room at check-in as they are always "sold out" every time I have stayed. I find this annoying, especially at a Platinum SPG member. This last stay, one out of two of my rooms was not available until after 6:00PM, although I arrived at the hotel at 1:00PM to check-in! Also, I was told I would receive a call when my rooms became available, and after 3 hours still had not received a call although I was told it should be no longer than an hour.

In general, the Sheraton is a great location if you have an event at the convention center, but I can't wait for the Westin to open next door!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear jaitraveling,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. The popularity of our frequent traveler program was not demonstrated during your check in process and we certainly apologize that you encountered this delay. I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a loyal traveler. I will make certain to address your concerns with the Department Leaders to improve our check in processes.

Thank you for your review, and we anticipate your return (as well as your wonderful dogs) to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff at the Sheraton is what makes this hotel. The shuttle driver, front desk, gift shop and restaurant servers are all awesome. Jasmine in the Sports bar is a GEM!

I had to give this hotel an average rating, however, because my room really was just "average". It was a double and seemed very cramped. The one bed was right up against the window with no room to get around it. Bathroom is very small with no vanity space. Shower temperature was very temperamental as it was either too hot or too cold. I couldn't get that "just right" temperature using the handle, and it also varied on its own. I love the make-up mirror in the bathroom, but it was loose and wouldn't stay in position on its own. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Flatscreen TV and single cup coffee maker with Starbucks brand coffee.

There is wired internet in the room for a charge, but no wireless. Wireless is only available in the lobby. I travel with my IPad and Iphone so this is not a positive for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear theokitty916,

Thank you for connecting with us!

With regards to the Internet access, it’s a pleasure to inform you that the hotel will have WIFI in the near future. While you may categorize the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel as average, I am happy to read that our exceptional commitment to customer service exceeded your expectations; Jasmine will be recognized and congratulated for her efforts.

Thank you again.
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a typical unkept, convention center hotel. Kept alive by the continuous inflow of convention attendees, it would die a quicker death if it had more competition. Hallways are littered with leftover room service trays, carpet stained and soiled throughout. The sports bar in the atrium filled with so much smoke from an apparent broken grease ventilator, that you really can't stay in there to eat. The rooms have a tiny bathroom with virtually no vanity, even though our room was an upgrade.
But the best part is the greedy manner in which they rip you off in their parking fees. It's $20 which might seem a little much for a medium sized town in the south, but that's apparently not enough profit for them. If you leave your car after 4pm, they won't give it back to you without paying another $10! So even though our car was parked for only about 20 hours, the charge is in reality $30.

Room Tip: Better to drive in daily from a nice clean and reasonably priced suburban hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear janjanllc,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel, and I apologize for the inconveniences. From my understanding, you’ve had a chance to speak with someone from our hotel about the issues you've addressed in your review. Our priority is to make sure that you leave happy; we failed this time. Yet, I hope that our efforts to correct your situation will give us an opportunity to have you with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any questions or additional concerns.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great customer service at the breakfast buffet from Carolyn Todd! She was very friendly and took good care of our family. Thanks Carolyn for your excellent service. We thought you did a great job and the food was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear SMS186,

Thank you so much for the great feedback about Carolyn Todd! I've forwarded this information to the Hotel Management Staff so that Carolyn is recognized accordingly.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Hotel around Thanksgiving with my family. I'm from Birmingham, Al but, its been 5 years since my last visit. My first night staying at the Hotel, I was having trouble with my family so, I walked to get some fresh air. That's when I saw Rodre at the desk. I went over to ask where is the bathroom and ended up talking about sports, the place I live now, women, and a lot of different personal stuff. That young man took my mind off my family problems and he treated me as if he knew me for years. I'm going to say it, he treated me like family. I just wanna say Thanks, to Woodrow Wilson as his name tag says. I called him that for a while until he told me his real name and why he had that name tag. Thanks, for the welcome home Sheraton, I miss Birmingham now. But, my overall stay was nice, My wife did complain about the atruim side not having any benches with the back rest for her back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear James L,

When you stay at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, You Are Family. Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful comment. I've forwarded your comment to management so our employee is recognized for exceeded your expectations.

Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a lovely stay as a stop over on our thanksgiving holiday. We love the rooms and the breakfast! The beds are so comfortable and the staff is kind and helpful. For the past two years our favorite bell attendant has been Carey Pettway. He always takes great care of us and gives the hotel great warmth with his friendly service and kind smile. Ask for him! When in Birmingham this is where we will stay!

• Stayed November 2012
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear maslinsmom,

We are so lucky to have exceptional individuals, like Carey Pettway, working at our hotel. I will make sure to pass along your comment to management.

Thank you!

Been to Sheraton Birmingham? Share your experiences!