“Horrible Customer Service!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Horrible Customer Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at the Days Inn Birmingham on highway 280. I was promised a no smoking room. They contintued to tell me that it was a no smoking room and yet there were ash trays in the toom. Why would there be ash trays in the room if it was no smoking? They charge extra for everything. The customer service was the worst that I ever experienced. From the front desk to the housekeeping! Even the manager was RUDE! No one would help me with my luggage even though they have nothing to do. I would never go back to that hotel! I do not recommend that anyone go there either!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

None of the rooms connect to the lobby, unlike in many hotels when a hallway connects at least one building. So to get to the free breakfast or fitness center, you had to go outside first. The fitness center has one treadmill, one elliptical, one stationary bike and one universal station, not a bad selection I thought. But the only machine I wanted to use was the treadmill, and it didn't work. The room was disappointing at their price point. The toilet worked intermittently, and when it wasn't in use, it often made sounds as if it was. The bathroom was large, but all the components were of very low quality (plastic, etc.). The toilet paper was 1-ply, but seemingly even more brittle than you would expect even from 1-ply. The carpet was a low commercial grade, and a dark grey color, so I couldn't tell one way or the other whether it was clean or not. The refrigerator had what looked like condensation drops on the inside back, but when I tried them wipe it off, I discovered that whatever it was, it was solid and wouldn't come off. Some of our neighbors were pretty loud and raucous outside their room at night, and since all the rooms face the parking lot, and the walls are apparently pretty thin, you're going to hear pretty much everything anyway. The main thing I liked about the room was the temperature control. The heat worked really well, and was quiet. I found out that there are lots of other hotels nearby (Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn, Wingate, etc.), and any one of them would likely be much nicer. Next time I am in this area, I will be selecting one of those hotels, not this one.

Room Tip: Test the toilet before moving your stuff in.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Please, by all means, DO NOT STAY HERE! We were treated HORRIBLY by both of the "ladies" at the front desk from the moment we walked in to the moment that we left. While checking in, I asked if I could change to a king-size bed, and the lady informed me that it would cost an extra $10 a night, and that I would HAVE to pay it in cash, because it was too "complicated" (????) to charge it to my debit card. So I had to drive in Friday rush hour traffic on HWY 280 (no small feat) to an ATM to procure the $20 in cash (with $6 in bank fees). I have a suspicious feeling that she was pocketing that cash and that Days Inn never saw it. THEN, we got assigned a room with a broken air conditioner and spent the evening tossing and turning. When we asked the NEW horrible front desk lady if we could change rooms, she treated us like two low-lifes trying to get something for free, and grilled us about what we might have been doing wrong to cause it not to work. (All we wanted was a cool, comfortable place to sleep.) Finally, she stomped over to our room, waved her hand in front of the A/C, declared that it "worked" and that she was NOT moving us, even though the hotel was mostly empty. Suffice to say, we are never, EVER going back to this place again. I would recommend going here ONLY if you and yours don't mind being treated like low-life scum.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
detroit, mich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

First this place is popular with contractors in the area. So at 6 am they are leaving. The rooms are well furnished and somewhat clean. Bathrooms clean, carpeting is not. i paid 63 a nite and I would not spend anymore. The continental breakfast, well cereal is ok. The biscuits were like a brick and dry. No OJ one morning, Computer not working in lobby. Beds were Very comfy! Pillows Very good. TV worked- lots of channels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Ellijay, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The only complaint is the pool was not as big or as clean as we would have liked. Other than that you get a place to stay that is decent for a decent price!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I expected no frills and just basic comfort at the Days Inn. While it was inexpensive, at 53 dollars a night, it wasn't worth the money. The carpet turns your socks and anything that touches it black, which is great because it matches their bathtub. This hotel needs to invest in bleach and new carpets. There were no fitted sheet, just a thin pad that didn't cover the bed well and the sheets had stains all over them, with various colors. This is by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever been in!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We came in for a volleyball tournament one weekend and absolutely loved it there. The staff was great, anything we asked for they went out of their way to make sure that we had it...from recommendations on places to eat .... to ...needing special items for our room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know when traveling through the Birmingham area!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn Birmingham/Summit Mall? Share your experiences!