“I probably won't be back.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #45 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Houston, Texas
“I probably won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I’ve stayed in the Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport several times in the past, but this is probably my last time.

Before I go into detail, first I would like to compliment the staff. Every person I encountered was exceptional. Employees at the front desk, housekeepers, bar staff – all were excellent at their jobs, friendly, and professional. They are to be commended.

This hotel is only 5 minutes from the airport, and in spite of the proximity was sufficiently quiet for sleeping. (This was probably due to the constant fan and loudness of the AC unit.) The property is in a location that isn’t the best part of town, and there are no nearby restaurants. Even if there were nearby establishments I don’t think I would venture out of the hotel to walk in the area. I believe there is a shuttle to uptown restaurants, but I didn’t use it and chose to dine at the hotel bar. The food was pretty good, and the bar area was crowded with others making the same choice as me.

Now for the reasons I will most likely stay elsewhere. Unfortunately I find the property over all to be quite tired. My room was clean enough, but the furnishings were worn, the bed sagged, bathroom tiles were coming loose, and the wallpaper was stained. I must have been in a room right over the kitchen or near a kitchen vent, because all evening the room smelled like someone was grilling steaks next door. A brief whiff of this might smell enticing, but to smell it for hours was almost overwhelming. I think it was coming in through the air conditioning unit – which, by the way didn’t seem to work properly. It never did cool the room completely.

Even though the location is convenient for business guests, the room set up isn’t necessarily traveler friendly. There are no electrical outlets next to the bed for charging phones, etc. Of the two outlets in the desk lamp, one didn’t work and the other was loose and wouldn’t hold a plug. The internet was so slow I gave up, and the TV was analog with a limited selection of channels. I was thankful for the movies downloaded to my laptop.

In my experience, the prime location isn’t a strong enough sell to overcome the issues. It’s a shame, because it could be a real gem.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My dad, brother in law, and myself stayed during Talladega weekend. Shuttles to and from the track was a big plus. Wonderful people working the front desk and very helpful. Our room was very clean and good sized. Got drinks and food at the bar both nights. The bartenders were awesome especially when the young lady remembered what I drank the night before. I have learned traveling this normally does not happen.

I did notice both nights that there was only one server that was actually working hard though. I seen a lady wait almost 20 minutes for her check Friday night (she ended up leaving her room number with the bartender since she had a fussy child) and the same waitress had a lady wait over 30 minutes tonight for her check. This place really needs to get rid of the 2 servers that want to sit around not doing anything especially how unprofessional they are about their jobs. Management, how can a server come behind the bar, fuss at a bartender for taking care of her table of people after she disappeared for probably almost a hour? If you actually want your restaurant to keep getting business you need to get rid of the unprofessional servers you have and keep the ones that have a little class.

The area is not the best but they have a shuttle to Uptown and security at night. We are not much to go out and watching their wait staff would keep me from ever coming back since I stay at the hotel for everything when I travel. Hopefully when I come back in a few weeks I won't see the same problems in the restaurant area.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location worked for me and where I needed to be for business. I arrived late at night and had no problem getting a room. The wifi was terrible as other people have mentioned. I had to hold my phone and computer in specific places to ensure that I was connected. It made working very tough. The area surrounding was a little interesting and there was nothing near by. You need a car to be in this location.

Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Awful for a business traveler. Train and airport noise mentioned in previous reviews was not as bad as expected. Noise for the hood surrounding the location was though. Wifi is TERRIBLE! Hardly ever worked. I had to try and do business with my smart phone which was not effective. Mentioned the problem to the front desk and she said she would have "maintenance reboot it". Only a short term solution as it was out again within a few hours. And the TV system failed as well. No internet, no tv to watch and an unknown neighborhood meant lots of time spent just staring at the walls. Bathroom needs some maint. work (refinish tub, painting, caulking, etc.) but room was nice. In house eating location was good though. Worst Holiday Inn property I have ever stayed in. I won't be back anytime soon.

Room Tip: Don't expect wifi to work. It you need reliable internet access look elsewhere.
winston salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First time at this Hotel. VERY convenient to Airport! Hotel could use some renovation and I was told that it would begin in June 2015. Room was nice and on the ninth floor which was quiet. Food was decent and Buffet reasonably Priced. Manager's Welcome Meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday 5-7 PM was nice treat. Pool was closed,but is located outside. The biggest asset of the Hotel were it's people. Extremely Nice and very accommodating!

Room Tip: Ninth Floor
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The lobby was quite good. However, the room was disappointing: old furniture, poor maintenance, dirty, and small bathroom. TV channels were few and full of static. Adequate water temperature and pressure in shower. Buffet-style breakfast was quite good, except it was not free.

Room Tip: Stay in upper floors
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear watsonk,

I appreciate that you took the time to leave us a review. I am pleased that you were impressed with the condition of our lobby. However, I am sincerely sorry if the room that you were allocated did not suit your expectations. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve on what we can offer.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The staff upon arrival very friendly. We were in room 708. This room is a handicap room, not sure why bathroom very small.the bed was comfortable pillows ok, the covers were too light and no extra blankets or pillows in the room. The room was clean and nicely decorated. There bathroom was clean just no space to put your stuff. Good hot water and pressure.This room is on the interstate side of the building and also by the railroad tracks!! Lots of noise all night and the train goes at 2am and 4 am for sure!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear sanvanoak,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment about our staff, cleanliness and shower.

However, we’re sorry about the noise caused by the railroad tracks. We will look into this concern. I assure you that the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!