“Nasty and stinky” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Starkville, Ms
“Nasty and stinky”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We booked a room at the Holiday Inn airport b/c my daughter had an early morning flight, and after checking reviews and prices for other area hotels, we chose Holiday Inn primarily b/c of its name and reputation. However, it was very disappointing. The halls and room were stinky (smelled sour and dirty), the decor was unkempt and outdated, and there were many visible signs of decay. The wall in my room had a bulge b/c of obvious water damage.
I wanted a snack, so I went to the hotel restaurant and ordered chips and salsa. It took about 45 minutes to get the order. The snack was good, but not worth a 45 minute wait. The restaurant, like the rest of the hotel is not kept well. It, too, stinks, is dirty, and is outdated.
The television was constantly going out as was the Internet connection. I ended up using my hotspot b/c the hotel wi-fi kept failing. We called the desk and asked if this was typical, and she said it was....that it was Direct TV, and they have trouble everywhere. Hmmm.
The toilet had trouble flushing. We kept having to jiggle the handle in order for it to flush correctly.
I will never stay here again! I cannot imagine why people are posting positive comments about this place. It is not nice, and I don't recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. As with all of our guests we value your feedback. It is our mission to provide the highest level of service to our guest, so needless to say we deeply regret that your stay was not a enjoyable one. We welcome the opportunity to make good on our promise of making sure every guest has a great experience at our hotel. Please contact the hotel at your convenience at 205-591-6900. We would love to hear from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

As far as the property goes - the hotel is nice especially for the area. My only gripe with my actual stay was that I was told that I could request turkey breakfast items for the included breakfast - but that didn't exist so there goes that- as my family does not eat pork. On another note - their level of customer service - and their accounting practices suck!!! I booked this hotel through a third party vendor and paid in full prior to checking in. I asked the clerk for a connecting room. She checked me in to multiple rooms in search of a connecting room, charging my cc multiple times. I spoke with the Manager and Accounting manager multiple times in the following weeks but they could have cared less and just kept passing me back and forth to each other promising a resolution with no delivery. After multiple unmet request to remove the charges - I finally had to file a dispute through my bank to get it resolved. Iv'e never met a hotel care so less about resolving such issues.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
We regret to hear that your experience with us was not a pleasant one. Your concerns and complaints have been addressed with accounting as well as our F&B staff. We hope that you will give us another chance if you should ever return to the Birmingham area, so that you may experience the level of service that you have come to expect when selecting to stay at Holiday Inn.
Selma, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

When my friend and I walked in we thought we were in the wrong room. It was so big and open with plenty of space. The room was very clean to my likely there were no need to look for anything that was out of place because it was just how I like a room...I was very well pleased well we were very well pleased

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that everything was perfect with your stay. It is our hope that when you return to the Birmingham area that you will do us the honor of being our guest again. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Alabaster, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Can't believe how nice this place has become. It had been awhile since I'd been to this Holiday Inn and had just written it off over time. But I came here last week for a meeting and was blown away about what the place has become. New management took over about a year ago and has done an incredible job in turning this place around. With it being so close to the airport I will be sure to continue to use this hotel. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We hope that whenever you are in the Birmingham area we will continue to be your #1 choice in lodging.
Dothan, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Wow, what a busy weekend here! The hotel was full to capacity which meant things like the elevator or housekeeping duties were slow. Come to think of it, housekeeping didn’t make it to my room. Overall the hotel was in pretty good condition. I detected what appeared to be a moldy smell in the hallways but other than that, ok. The banquet hall met our needs, but the sound system is in need of an upgrade. There is a nice watering hole (bar) on location. All employees were nice and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. We value your feedback and your concerns have been addressed with the appropriate departments. We hope to see you as our guest again when returning to the Birmingham area.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was a one night stay before leaving for Florida. I had traveled by bus to Birmingham to join my daughter for our scheduled vacation. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was very efficient. The room was very nice and clean... bed was super comfortable and I slept like a baby. By late night the room was very warm, even though the thermostat was set at 65 when I checked in, it didn't cool off much.

I got down to breakfast as they were clearing the buffet and asked if there was anything I could get to go from the menu. The response was far less that polite. The front desk had told me to ask and that I could possibly get coffee and toast to go. I don't blame the hotel for this persons rudeness. I left hungry... but I lived. (smiles)

My one other minor concern was the cleaning residue in the bathtub which made it very slippery. The tub did have have a slip resistant bottom, but whatever was on the surface (I assume from cleaning) made even that textured bottom very slippery. Perhaps a better rinsing would have solved that problem. I know I will rinse a tub out before showering in any other hotel I stay in,.

Though brief, I'm not deterred, I would stay at this Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Please rinse your bathtub before stepping in it. Unless you want a VERY warm room in late spring or...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, we are pleased to hear that the check in process was seamless and that your room was clean and comfortable. Your concerns have been addressed with the F&B department and we hope that you will return as our guest and experience the level of service and quality food that we are capable of extending to all of our guests.
Milton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Nothing really amazed me about this hotel. I work in hotels and I noticed a lot of things that could be done better. The check in process didn't go so well. Donna over authorized my debit card after I told her to cancel my more expensive reservation and keep my two employee reservations instead. She didn't listen and that caused my money to be tied up on hold for 3 days. Luckily i had enough to cover my trip that it didn't put me in a bind but when working in hotels you have to be very careful about things like this and you could tell she was just trying to breeze through the checkin process. She wasn't rude however she didn't make me feel welcome either. The hotel room was okay the bathrooms could use some updating. Housekeepers you could tell don't take their time on the room I was in. There was lots of dust and an old cup mark where a previous guest had set a cup and the soda had dripped off and was sticky as well in the bathroom on the shelf that is under the sink. Overall i wouldn't say this is a horrible hotel but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Taylor T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to check in experience and housekeeping services. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced at the front desk. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!