“Great Location, But Very Noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Starkville, Mississippi
“Great Location, But Very Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here because of airport parking option. I was not impressed. The room was a corner room and our suite case would hardly fit through the door. I expected some noise because of the location of the airport but also had very busy interstates and made the room loud. At check in the priority club gift was a bag of plain chips and a bottle of water. (very let down compared to other Holiday Inns I have stayed at). At 4:30 a.m. the smoke alarm in the room went off for about 30 seconds and scared the living day lights out of us. I called the front desk after seeing that it was not a building wide alarm and was only told it was a false alarm. I was not impressed with this hotel and will not be returning!

Room Tip: Request a room that maybe away from highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you had at our hotel. I am not pleased to hear that you had such a negative experience. We are an airport hotel that has a lot of activity at all times of the day and night., as some of our airport guest or distressed passengers are flying in at different times. We have double insulated windows, but we will do a check to make sure there is not another issue that would be causing some sound penetration. The fire alarm that went off in the night is for your safety. In this case it was an overcooked bag of microwave popcorn. I know that being awakened is not pleasant. But we hope you agree with us that better safe than sorry. I have addressed the staff regarding the fire alarm system, and batteries were replaced. I hope that you would give us another chance and visit HIBHM again. As our historic city grows every day, we are growing as well; we want to give our guest the best experience possible!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here to attend my company's conference. What a great place. The room was amazing. Very comfortable and clean. The staff were all happy and very helpful. The food was very tasteful and the breakfast buffet suited any dietary needs..... Loved my stay.

Room Tip: Just beware when a large number of you in cars are leaving the hotel car park the you can only go as...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for posting your recent experience regarding our hotel, We are absolutely thrilled to know that our team was pleasant and went out of their way to make you happy! We really appreciate you recognizing our hard work, and know that we will continue to make our guest stays enjoyable for years to come!! We appreciate your comment!!
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

It's an older hotel, but the rooms have been updated. We chose this hotel for our second stay because the restaurant serves great Mexican food. Yes, the deadbolts are a problem. They don't automatically retract - the front desk had to explain that you need to strongly turn the door handle down, and then they'll retract. Who knew? We reserved a room with a roll-in shower as my husband cannot step into a tub. The first room had a tub. So, back to the desk for a different room. Lo and behold it was just like the first one but on the 8th floor. Back to the desk, leaving my husband with the luggage on the 8th floor. Finally, a roll-in shower. That should not have taken three tries. Then, about the service dog. I was told I needed certification. That is against Federal law. But, the desk clerk had to call Shane and then post five different notices. This was not an easy check-in. Please, Priority Club, your chain needs to know the basics - what rooms have roll-in showers and Federal law on Service Animals. Even the posted notification said Service Pet. They are service animals - not pets.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First and Foremost, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate positive feedback, as well as the negative. We have taken action regarding the concerns and issues that you displayed in your comment and will work hard for those type of Inconveniences to not happen again. I appreciate your honesty and hope to see you soon in our beautiful city and hotel!!!
Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have to say that it is different. My room was outdated but cozy. I really didn't like the fact that there is a very limited array of channels to choose from that is why i was so happy they had a bar! Very stylish and kinda changed my thought of the hotel. I ordered a salad although they had Mexican food..it was good but i wanted something more. so I got the cheesedip with beef and wow!! it was really delicious and an awsome campanion to my drink. very friendly and helpful staff at the restaurant I think every employee checked on me to make sure I didnt need anything! getting a good nights rest is another story, i guess i must have been to close to the hwy or something because you could hear all the traffic...anyway if you do come here hit the bar and bring some ear plugs!

Room Tip: away from hwys
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear rosemary g,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for our staff. On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for the condition of the room and for the noise that you have experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last 2 years. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The service is very good.

They do have issues with the door locks. One time I was locked out as they tried to get the door open with a special device. It took several attempts and calls to the General Manager to get me in to get my stuff at 2 am. I have had the keys not work and the deadbolts tend to remain out (for security when you close the door) but it is a real hassle to be able to shut the door on the outside of the room!

About half of the time the heaters don't work properly - controls won't regulate the heat properly.

Although they have moved me to different rooms each time I have had an issue, I would think they would invest some money to fix the hotel.

Do not go to breakfast. It is not free (no problem) but the food is just room temperature even with Sterno cans under them (I think they bring the food out cold and let the Sterno heat it?) The coffee is also just luke warm. After a couple of meals like this, I now drive to get breakfast (nothing really near by).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I am deeply sorry about the issues that you faced while visiting our hotel. These problems concerned me and were immediately brought to the attention of our maintenance department. We know that positive feedback is good, as well as the negative. This lock problem has been corrected and I have confidence in my team to stay on top of these issues in the future. We hope that when you visit beautiful Birmingham in the future, you will think of our hotel as we make positive moves for the future!!!
Branchport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I booked this hotel on Priceline sorta last minute and needed a hotel near the Interstate. The hotel itself isn't that bad and the room is okay if you overlook the window that has large gaps around the frame. The window let in all the road traffic plus the room never got warm. And this was on the eighth floor. Typical Priceline room so I accepted it. Two major problems with this hotel: the neighborhood and no place to eat . The neighborhood is worse than a slum. I drove around looking for a place to eat(in daylight) and I couldn't believe how bad the residences looked. I got gas at the gas station/24 hour liquor/drug dealer hangout, and the customers all looked rough(except me) I did not see any security guards at the hotel either inside or out, and there were numerous signs posted around the parking lot saying the hotel wasn't responsible for what happened to your car. Anyone could drive into the parking lot so I'm not sure why these other reviewer thought their vehicle was safe. No, nothing happened to my car, but to say I wasn't worried would be an understatement. Customer service was okay; you would never mistake this hotel for a Hyatt. If I were to go through Birmingham again, I'd look at the hotels off I259 near the restaurant where I ended up eating dinner. There's a big mall with lots of eating options and newer hotels

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear oldgoat1,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. I am deeply sorry to hear that your experience with us was negatively affected by our hotel location. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was here for one night waiting for a early morning flight. I didn't have a reservation and was happy they had a room available. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and modern. I read the other reviews about the neighborhood but I didn't have a need to be walking around outside so it wasn't a problem plus there was a guard on duty. I had a very early flight and the free hotel airport shuttle took me with no problem. Free wireless, a bar for drinkers... Warm and friendly place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Leo J, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport!!! I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant!! We work hard to ensure that our guest are happy and treated with the best customer service. Thanks for your comment

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!