“Scary Neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Scary Neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When I told locals that I was staying here, they all shook their head and talked about how bad the area is, and they were not wrong. But there's a big fence around the parking lot and a security guard on hand after dark.

To give you an idea of how rough the area is the liquor store next door has all the bottles behind the counter with glass to stop you touching them. The drinks are passed through a hole in the glass.

Nearby gas station workers talk to you through think bullet proof glass.

However, in fairness to the hotel they have done about all they can to make you feel safe. And within the confines of the hotel and grounds, I experienced no security issues, and actually thought the security guard was polite and professional.

The room was unremarkable, he Internet slow to medium. The TV channel selection was low definition and extremely limited. The staff were pleasant and professional.

So it was okay, average, meh. No wow factor and nothing to write home about. But nothing especially offensive either, unless you count the location. The bed was hard and squeaky.

Room Tip: The top two floors are labeled Ambassador and Executive. Despite my platinum status and upgrade, I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Front desk very nice and fast with check in. Hotel itself is in dire need of renovation. Although I expected much worse based on recent reviews. My room was clean and bed comfortable. Great water pressure during my shower as I prepared for my early flight out. I will agree the area is a bit shady but only a mile from the airport. The Clarion down the street is a true dive.
If I had to stay here extended nights that might be a different story. I stayed on the 5th floor. I average 15 nights a month as a business traveler so for me it was very adequate. Some people over exaggerate, if you have to catch a morning flight this is very smart choice especially for the price point. It is amazing if you are a nice person when you check in you might just get a nicer room. Some people are just rude and demanding upon check in and guess what happens to them? They write a bad review imagine that.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Weston, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night to be close to the airport for an early departure. The front desk help wasn't very accommodating and because our company was paying the bill, the front desk claimed the manager doesn't allow Priority Club points to anyone other than the credit card holder. Funny how the other 53 nights with IHG properties I never had that problem. Then when we checked out, the front desk couldn't give me a finalized bill due to "computer issues" right at the prime time for check out he said he needed 30 minutes to reboot. If you are a light sleeper forget about sleeping as it sounds as the highway is in your room. The bar was a welcome surprise and the food was great (the reason for two stars instead of one). Otherwise I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We needed a hotel convenient to the airport for a group we were assembling for a tour of civil rights sites. This was a clear first choice last year and again last week. We plan to use it again next year. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are pleasant and very adequate. Breakfast and dinner are available in the restaurant, and we found the dinner offerings (currently mostly Mexican) quite good and varied. Lunch can be purchased at the Kebab House just across the street. If you are visiting downtown Birmingham sites, access is very easy by car on either the interstate or via regular streets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greeensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our plane lost an engine on the way from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Charlotte and had to divert to Birmingham. After a short delay at the air port while American got their act together, we were issued vouchers for this hotel. Didn't really know what to expect but there wasn't much of an alternative so we boarded the shuttle.

I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. While there was a bit of a musty odor in the hall, the room was clean and spacious. The bed slept very well, the bathroom was clean and the towels were not worn out. The staff could not have been more friendly! And the hotel restaurant was a plus (Mexican and I had food that rivaled what I'd eaten in Mexico City two weeks earlier!).

Should we be back in Birmingham for whatever reason, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
AERM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Close to the airport, friendly front desk and staff. The place is clean everywhere we go from our room, lobby, pool, and parking lot. The pool is small though, still it is a place to relax or fun for my kid. They where out of towel in the pool and exercise room but the staff came soon to provide. There is a gas station and convenient store across the street that is if your really need to go. The place is a ghetto area but I notice they have plain clothes security and the facility is fenced. (An added tip to road travelers: gas price is cheaper in Alabama and Mississippi than other State we traveled like IL, IN, LA, TX). Do not expect to have a free breakfast as other hotels do but they do have a restaurant (we ate out though). Also we came to visited and tour EWTN which is 10 min drive to Irondale. If you tell them you are a pilgrim to EWTN they will give you a good discount. For a change I choose this hotel and for me it is 3.5 rating :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I choose this hotel because I needed some place close to the airport that had a shuttle service and I am glad that I did. The front desk was extremely helpful and they made sure I had everything I needed. The room was very clean and comfortable. I especially liked how the beds had both soft and firm pillows available. The only thing I didn't like was the restaurant in the hotel. I felt it was too expensive for what you got. Other than that, it is a great hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!