“Good value and good location” 5 of 5 stars

Embassy Suites Birmingham
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Woodcrest Place, Birmingham, AL 35209   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Lowest rates of the year!
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Highlands, United States
“Good value and good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

good location if you are in the city for appointments at the UAB Medical Center. Also excellent shopping near by. Clean, wonderful bed and linens and the breakfast and reception is delightful. Better than staying closer to the medical center where parking is tight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments!! We appreciate your business.

Heather Strauss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The room smelled of cigarette some. The sofa was soiled. The sink light in the bedroom kept going off and on. The evening cocktail event was very lacking in cuisine. Only had potato chips, tostito chips, sausa and spinich dip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that during your stay, the freshness of your hotel was of concern to you and that there was an unpleasant odor of smoke. We do have a few designated smoking suites in the hotel. Unfortunately, as much as we try to monitor this, we sometimes cannot control if a guest chooses to smoke in their room without our knowledge. However, I can very much empathize with your dissatisfaction and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This review is long overdue, but I honestly have been very busy and just drove by the hotel today and it reminded me that I never wrote a review. Normally, I write reviews so that people can make an informed decision based on pros and cons from my personal experience. This time is different. I've never dealt with a more disappointing business and I truly hope this review discourages anybody who is in the market for a decent hotel stay from even considering the Embassy Suites in Birmingham. Thanks for reading:

On April 20th of 2013 I got married to the most amazing woman that I've ever met. We had an amazing wedding and reception at the Gas Lighthouse in Pelham and were thrilled about our roadtrip/ honeymoon that started in the morning. We planned to be at the reception until late, so my parents graciously booked a hotel room at the Embassy Suites for us months in advance. We were planning on going right after the reception and sleeping in and then leaving mid morning. My parents called and confirmed the reservation the day before the wedding and let me know that it was still a go. Fast forward to after the reception: We arrived at the Embassy Suites at 1030PM (in full tux and wedding dress still spilling birdseed everywhere) and walked up to the front desk. I gave my name and as I was waiting to ask that we get a room on the top floor the clerk told me "im sorry but we are completely full". I went on to explain that we had reservations for the past 2 months and that this was our wedding night and got the same response. I asked him how on earth can you be full if you already have a paid reservation for a room that far in advance. No rational answer. There was not even an attempt to let me know how this happened! Instead, I get sent to the doubletree downtown with a voucher for a free room. If I were on a business trip or even just on vacation, this would be annoying but I could get over it. This was my wedding night and instead of getting to enjoy a drink at Ruth's Chris, we got overpriced beers (which we even had to pay for) at the cheap lobby bar with a group of loud construction workers staying in the hotel. The doubletree would have been a fun location, but it was literally right next door to my apartment and we didnt want to go out and see all our friends and would have much preferred to be in a different part of town than we actually lived in.

Anyway, I'd like to say that the hotel management fixed the situation but it gets worse. The shift manager of the embassy suites called the room at 1130 to apologize and let us know that we would get a free room and dinner at ruth's chris whenever we wanted. I thanked her and, again, asked for an explanation but there was none. I asked her to forward the gift certificates and vouchers to my parents since we were not moved in to our new place and wouldnt be for another month. Because of our schedules we were not able to pick up the vouchers for 2 months and last minute we both got some time off and decided to make the trip to birmingham and use our free night. Because we had not picked up the vouchers from my parents and this was last minute, I called the hotel and explained the situation and they said that because the restaurant was separate, they couldnt do dinner but they could do the hotel room for free. Once again, very annoying but I guess i could understand that. So we packed our bags and made the hour and a half trip to birmingham. Once again we walked up to the front desk, gave our reservation and this time we were told they have our room, Great! The manager was dealing with us directly and asked for our voucher. I told her that we made the reservation and were told that we didnt need it. They knew our situation and knew who we were. She told us that we wouldnt be able to check in and that whoever told us this was confused. I reminded her who we were and what the hotel did to us and how we were treated and she still told us that she couldnt do anything for us and that was when the security guard stepped out behind us. I was very polite the whole time. Obviously frustrated, but polite. As soon as I saw that somebody had alerted security and that people were beginning to stare, we once again left. This time we didnt even have another room. I tried contacting the general manager but we played phone tag and I could never get a solid response and it ended up being a huge waste of time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel the day after your wedding. I realize how special this moment was for you and your wife and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you went through. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us and can assure you that it’s contrary to what our customers typically see from us. However, I can very much empathize with your situation and sincerely apologize.

Your business is very important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me. We are always listening to our guests!

Heather.Strauss@Hilton.com
Destin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

1. All of the ES (Embassy Suites) staff understood that we were stationed outside of the US and we were on reverse cycle for sleep. The first day, the room service staff told us that there was no credit card on file and we had to go to the front desk and “fix the problem”, or pay cash for food. We told them that the polite front desk clerk did in fact swipe our credit card and that he should double check. We paid cash and instructed him to figure out the problem. On the 3rd or 4th day the ES staff rang our room at 9.13PM but we were asleep and did not answer. At 9.15PM an ES staff began banging on our door and would not stop. We thought there was an Emergency. She stated that she needed a credit card for our room. We replied: “really… at 9.15PM, you need a credit card”. She said it could wait until morning. WHY would an ES staff member treat anyone in this manner? 2. The rooms have extremely outdated furniture with holes in the fabric. The walls and cabinets and base board are scratched, and damaged. 3. Look at the furniture in your lobby – it has holes in the fabric. We were embarrassed for you because we normally love all ES. 4. We reported that the TV remote control was not in the room and someone came to give us one. Then the TV’s did not work. So we waited for a maintenance guy, but after some time, we unplugged all the TV’s and replugged them ourselves and worked on them until they functioned properly. By the time the maint guy arrived, we had resolved the ES problem. 5. The toilet in the master suite ran all night. We reported it and your manager took one nights charge off our room; however, note that the toilet was never (never) repaired.. You have to sleep with the door closed and the fan running to drown out the sound of water leaking. 6. Traffic and road noise is very disturbing. 7. The front desk staff is extremely polite and nice. The breakfast staff also need to be commended for their politeness.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Lisa S, Manager at Embassy Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
I am saddened to see your disappointment with your stay at our property. I assure you this is not the norm for this property and we have addressed your concerns with our staff. Since your stay we have started a deep clean program and have begun to start the renovation process such as hallway carpets and lobby furniture. I hope you would be willing to give us another chance if you are ever in Birmingham.

Front Office Manager
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

First we only stayed because of the indoor pool! We got there got checked in And pool had a sign that said closed, I saw a guy cleaning it asked him when it would be open he said a couple of hours, so I was like ok I can deal with that or else I was checking out! We brought our 4 years old along for a Florida trip so she needed play time out of the car.. Well two hours passed and pool was still closed and guy said it would be closed all night, but said it would be working in the morning, so we went to bed early and got up... Still no pool, I was upset so I talked to front desk about a discount toy surprise they took care of everything, so I was happy, grand daughter on other hand was not! Room was great bathroom had mold spots on ceiling and vent in room was blowing out dirt all over ceiling so I am thankful I didn't pay full price! But breakfast and manager reception was awesome very friendly employees and good food! Not sure if I'd stay again or not I'd check out bathroom again first if we do...

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your granddaughter was unable to go swimming, but I am happy the stay was able to Make it Right. Since your stay with us we have implemented a deep cleaning program in all of our suites. Thank you for your kind words regarding our breakfast staff. If you are ever in Birmingham again please give us a chance to prove that is not the typical standards at our property.

Front Officce Manager
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The staff at this hotel are really pleasant and helpful. I have now stayed there on business 4-5 times. Every time I am welcomed back.
I will especially highlight Webster. He is the host and barman at the daily happy hour. What a really nice guy.
The rooms are typically "Embassy Suites" good!
The interior of the hotel is really nice.
But, the staff are excellent!

Room Tip: Second floor has an extra staircase down to the Atrium, but avoid the rooms over the kitchen because...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mr. Grascott,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our property and staff. I am glad to hear that Webster is especially nice at the bar. We are lucky to have him here with us! I hope that you continue to stay with us.

Front Office Manager
Hixson, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The inside of the hotel looked a bit rundown and old. That wasn't too bad, but our room and the non-response to it were unacceptable.

The overhead light was rickety-looking and didn't work.

As soon as we entered the room, I smelled the soured shower curtain. I asked for a clean curtain but never got one. I finally had to drive to Target to buy Clorox Cleanup to spray it with. For about $150 a night, I don't expect to have to clean my own shower curtain before I even use it.

The air conditioner was very noisy in the bedroom. It kicked on every few minutes, often for just a few seconds at a time. By morning, I desperately needed a nap but couldn't sleep because construction noise was then added to the air conditioner noise.

The mattress seemed worn out and saggy. It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable.

The free breakfast was OK for steam-table food. The lady who served our food was very nice.

Internet service was not included in the price of the room and was nearly $10 a day (we passed on that deal).

The only reason I didn't give it one star is because I have seen worse places, though not at that price.

We stayed at a different hotel the second night and had a much better experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry that you are disappointed with your stay. We strive for every guest to leave satisfied and sincerely apologize that we were not able to provide you with a satisfying stay. I am so sorry that you found our hotel to be rundown and that the curtain in your bathroom was not clean however, I especially apologize if our staff was not responsive and that they did not follow-up with your request. I assure you that this is very rare to occur as our customers’ satisfaction is paramount to us. Please know that I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments and assure you that this will not happen again.

We will definitely use your comments to share with our departments to learn from and look for ways to improve our overall guest experience.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and I do hope we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you again to our beautiful hotel.

Heather Strauss

Been to Embassy Suites Birmingham? Share your experiences!