“Good Food and Good People” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Savings on Bkfast + WiFi
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Califon
“Good Food and Good People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff was very friendly and very courteous. Made recommendations for nearby attractions. The restaurant in the Hotel was outstanding. It was nice to get free drinks at the reception before dinner. The breakfast was convenient and quite good. I would stay here again if I am in town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
I am glad you were able to enjoy our food and beverage and our staff. I hope we can serve you again soon!

Heather Strauss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at this facility as sort of a captive audience in that we were family of a wedding party. If I had had my druthers, I would have gone somewhere a little less costly than $139.95+TAX per night.

Checking in went fine. The front desk person was as nice as could be. Then, at first glance, the room looked pretty nice. Basically, that is where the "smoothness" ended. The first thing I found wrong with our room was a broken cabinet door (falling off the upper hinge making it precarious to open). Not a big deal but seemingly an easy thing for maintenance to fix. Next, my wife noticed stains on the sheets. I initially dismissed it as no big deal. Later on when she found the dirty fingernail in the bed, I changed my mind. Had the sheets even been changed?? There was no blanket for the sofa sleeper on which my daughter had to sleep so she ended up being cold all night. We requested an additional blanket for the second night, several times, but never received it. We ended up borrowing some sort of blanket from my father-in-laws room next door.

On our first morning, the breakfast staff were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off (that is totally useless). They had five people bussing tables and hardly anyone restocking the actual food. As a result, they were out of a lot of things including coffee.

When they FINALLY cleaned our room on the first day (at 5:00pm), they did not change the bed sheets as we had requested (don't forget the stains and the fingernail) and they restocked us with two bath towels, washcloths, etc. even though they knew we had three people.

In a nutshell, I believe the staff of this facility was totally overwhelmed by being at or near full occupancy. Of course that does not excuse the bad service we received and I believe is a reflection of the current management that is in place. Based on this experience, I would steer clear of this location for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I have shared your experience with my team to ensure the items are addressed. We obviously failed during your visit and hope you would give us another chance in the future.

SIncerely,
Columbus, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Traveling on July 5th was our own fault, but my wife and I wanted to stay in a hotel where we had some space after a long car ride, so we picked an Embassy Suites. We chose the one closer to downtown based on the better rate. The hotel was lovely, and the staff was friendly, but you could tell right off the bat that they were overwhelmed. Small requests for pool towels (there were none in the pool) & a blanket for the sofa bed (none in the room) ended up being an hour plus event with several follow-ups. The evening reception was nice, but the line was down the hall for the drinks. For breakfast the next morning we had a similar issue, but thankfully they opened a half-hour early on a Saturday, and we were able to take advantage of the early time. Any other normal day, I am sure this would be a nice stay, however on a holiday weekend I would not recommend this particular Embassy Suites. The room was descent, however the air conditioner would make a squeeling noise whenever it started up (which made for a tough night's sleep). I assume that this was only our room that had this issue.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your understanding during our July 4th weekend. We are a prime location for fireworks and extremely busy over the Holiday weekend. I hope you will have the opportunity to return to the hotel during a slower season.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have stayed at numerous Embassy Suites. This one was just okay. The room was clean. The bathroom was a little dingy and the shower curtain was dirty. (they did replace this the following day) The breakfast was just okay. The reception did not even have a snack one night. Usually we enjoy that part of the evening...but not this time. Overall, it was okay.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I apologize your stay was just average. I have reviewed your comments with the Evening Reception team as we require several items for snacks in the evening to offer a variety. I am not sure what happened during your stay and hope to see you in the future!

boaz, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The room had a very heavy cigarette smoke smell, the AC would not get cool. The reception was good , breakfast was also good. The hotel seemed to have a smoke smell through out, which I thought very unusual. Would have been a great stay if not for the A/C and smoke smell

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

HeatherStrauss, General Manager at Embassy Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Please come visit and see the many changes we have completed this year!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We did have a problem with the room above us making way too much noise but other than that we loved our stay. We always take advantage of the managers reception and the wonderful breakfast. We usually visit every Anniversary and Birthdays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I am glad you enjoyed your stay! Please come back for another get a way!

Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Birmingham and it was nice. The breakfast was not up to Embassy standards but still did have freshly cooked omlets. They ran out of food early on and did not replenish. Overall it is a good place to stay which accords privacy with the suite concept. The 2 bedroom 2 bath set up is well worth the money as the living area is very large. We booked over 30 rooms and everyone was pleased.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I am glad you enjoyed the large two bedroom suite and had an enjoyable weekend celebrating a wedding. Thank you for your feedback and business.

Heather Strauss

Been to Embassy Suites Birmingham? Share your experiences!