“Older, But Still Nice Embassy Suites” 4 of 5 stars

Embassy Suites Birmingham
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Woodcrest Place, Birmingham, AL 35209   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Lowest rates of the year!
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Knoxville, TN
“Older, But Still Nice Embassy Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband, adult daughter and I traveled to Birmingham to see "Wicked" at the BJCC Concert Hall so we wanted a downtown hotel. We also wanted a 2-bedroom suite so my daughter could have her own bed and bathroom, so that narrowed our hotel choices significantly. This is probably the oldest Embassy Suites we have ever stayed in, but for the most part, well kept. Our room was very spacious, but had a large conference table in the living room area with 8 large chairs around it. We kept thinking we should hold a meeting. We love the manager's free cocktail reception and hot breakfast that Embassy Suites are famous for and except for a lack of staff keeping items stocked at the breakfast, it was very good. Check-in was a breeze although the hotel appeared full or at least almost full. Everything worked in the room except one of the beside lamps had no outlet to plug it into.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Key West
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Usually with Embassy Suites you know what to expect. This one did not live up to standards. The front desk staff was very nice, but that does not make up for the condition of the hotel or the rooms. The bed in my room was one of the worse I have had in a long time. So soft, you sink into the mattress. Even worse, the pillowcases and sheets had stains on them! I am sure they were laundered, but if you can not get a stain out, you throw the bedding away! It was gross. The living area had a couch and chair that were so threadbare and tatty, they belonged in a thrift shop, not in a hotel. The plaster on the ceiling in the shower was peeling and rain down on my head while I was showering! Totally unacceptable in an Embassy Suites. My room also faced the busy highway so I was treated to loud trucks and traffic all night long.

The hotel has a Ruth's Chris restaurant. This might be a nice option if you want a steakhouse meal, but it also means that most of the items on the room service menu are Ruth's Chris' prices! There were a few reasonable choices, but most were priced very high. In addition, on a busy Friday, it was almost impossible to park. They offer valet parking, but only for restaurant patrons! I guess the hotel guests are just second class here.

Even breakfast was not good. The clever management has chosen to put the hot buffet items in the same line as the fresh omelets. This means even if you just want the hot buffet items you are stuck in the very long, slow omelet line. Meanwhile, there was another empty buffet to the right of the line! Here's an idea... How about putting the hot items in that area so you do not have everyone packed into a single line? Even worse, the plates and silverware were not clean.

Unlike other Embassy Suites I have stayed at, I did not see a manager once during breakfast. Maybe they should check out the dirty plates, poor flow, and stale fruit. This place needs to close for renovations or change their flag. They are hurting the Embassy Suites name. The only reason I gave it a second star was the convenient location and very friendly front desk staff. However, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We just returned from a 2-day weekend stay for a family wedding event in Birmingham. This hotel and location was chosen for convenience to the many events and because of the great service and amenities of typical Embassy Suites. The bride-to-be didn't get her room until 4 pm on the day of check-in. My husband and I didn't get our room until the same time but one of our rooms was ready at 1 pm. Many other out of town guests had similar problems at check-in. Then came the onslaught of unsupervised kids. Someone must have been packing 8-10 kids per room. They were running in the halls at night, filling up their plates and wasting food at breakfast, wearing pjs to breakfast (including some of the adults...come on - at least wear some underwear under those pjs!), and getting the tile wet in the elevator and in front of the elevator from all the trips to/from the pool. These kids were obviously unsupervised, and complaints to the management were ignored. The breakfast staff couldn't keep up at with keeping clean dishes and utensils available but they did their best to stay friendly. Sunday there was no butter and they ran out of fresh fruit. I don't generally mind dogs being present, but there were several owners who let their dog bark uncontrollably much too long.

The rooms were clean enough & updated but the lighting in the bathroom could have been brighter. The front desk staff was nice and friendly at check-in and we used the shuttle.

We won't stay at this particular property again, and I also plan to let Hilton know about the experience we had here. We have eaten at this Ruth's Chris on a previous occasion and it was delicious and had great service. But I probably won't return.

Room Tip: Get something away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with our kids. Number one on the list was the swimming pool. When we arrived, the water was cold. I had called ahead of time and was told the pool was heated and warm. We were very disappointed to say the least after driving 4 hours. It seemed like the hotel was the local daycare. People were coming in and dropping off lots of kids. One woman was the central drop off point, however she wasn't watching any of the kids. The managers reception was very crowded. My husband waited in line approx. 45 minutes each time. After waiting in line twice, it was over. The kids were out of control in the pool area. I reported it to management, but nothing was ever done. On day two, we were hoping for a better experience. Breakfast was good. The hotel was beautiful. The hot tub was closed for cleaning on the second day. We were told it would be open later in the day. However, it was never opened back up. This was a big problem since the pool water was so cold. On the second night, the pool daycare seemed to open back up. People would come in and drop 3 or 4 kids off each to this one woman. There was one adult to about 30 kids. We once again reported it to management. Nothing ever happened again. The noise level was so loud it would give you a headache. The hot tub was not reopened after asking several times. Managers reception was the same as the night before. Horribly long lines. We finally just gave up and went to our room. The hotel was nice, but it was absolutely a waste of money for our weekend get away with our family. I would never go back to this hotel again. I wish I would have chose a different location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Had a problem with my reservation at a different property. The front desk took care of it and followed up to let me know it was done.

• Stayed January 2012
Coffee Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I really enjoyed staying here, it was only for one night, but that was enough to see that it was a nice hotel. I was expecting your average stay at any hotel, but was quite surprised once we checked in. The inside of this place is amazing. There is a large koi pond woven throughout part of the lobby. There are tons of plants and large trees throughout and a waterfall as well. It's a really great atmosphere. My 2 year old son would have stayed and watched the fish the whole time.
We stayed in a king suite, with a comfy bed and a separate living room area with a tv. It was nice that the room had 2 tvs, one in the bedroom and another in the living room area. I didn't notice anything in particular about the room that was nasty in any way. My husband said the carpet had hair and things on it in the living room but it was more like the vaccum cleaner just couldn't or didn't pick it up.
All in all, we would stay there again just for the nice atmosphere in the lobby for my son. We didn't have to stay cooped up on the hotel room and could enjoy just relaxing in the lobby area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
DOUGLASVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

great hotel with Ruth's Chris in house - too expensive for "normal" dining but great for special events. Managers reception and breakfast was very good. WiFi a problem in that web site said $1 a day but logging on said $10 and even though we were Hilton Honors we were not the right level so we skipped it and probably won't be back. $10 a day to check email is too much.

Room Tip: some rooms are smokey so beware
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Birmingham? Share your experiences!