“Not the best HIE, but not terrible” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #40 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama
“Not the best HIE, but not terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hotel was in so-so shape. Our first room has broken toilet, but staff moved its quickly. Needed better cleaning staff in general. Some walls were poorly patched. A few bugs from window but nothing "nasty". Would stay again if price is right, but would probably prefer another area hotel in this class. Breakfast was decent and staff was friendly and helpful. I stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels quite often, and this one left something to be desired.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I know how frustrating travel can be and I am sorry yours wasn't as smooth as you expected. Please accept my apology.

Hope to see you in the future,

Mike Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Norcross, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I plan many meetings in my role all the time and working with this hotel has been the worst experience yet. I should have ran the other way when I found out they had absolutely no catering, no amenities and was in need of an update but I needed something in that area.
Initially I was working with Karen Regula. Karen was friendly but was extremely slow to respond. If I requested something I didn’t get a response for at LEAST a week. In addition there was always an error with a contract document or she’d forget to attach the file completely. This happens to the best of us, but every time! We reserved this hotel a few months before our event. About 2 weeks prior to the event expecting to hear from the hotel but didn’t I reached out to Karen. I received a response from Mike Johnson saying Karen was no longer with the company and he would be assisting me. I didn’t mind because Karen made me nervous. Well Mike was worse! At least I would get (friendly) responses from Karen. Mike would ignore me all together or respond condescendingly.
One of the attendees of my meeting called the hotel with some questions and found out that Karen had booked us on the wrong day. This was one of the many errors I had already corrected her on, she “acknowledges and fixed” (yeah right). Not only did they have us on the wrong day but they had someone else on the day and time we needed. Obviously I was concerned. This was my meeting and any messes would reflex on me. I emailed Mike asking for a confirmation that we would have the meeting room on the days we contracted. This dude never responded. I emailed him a few days later again wanting to make sure all our needs were passed on by Karen. I was skeptical since neither Karen nor Mike ever sent me a BEO. His response was “I have this”.
The day of our meeting came and by this time I was ASSUMING that if we didn’t have the room he would have let me know, right? Thank you Jesus that had some experience with rude non-communicators! We had our meeting room. All charges were to be applied to our master account. At the end of our stay, a few of our guest were charged on their personal cards and 7 business days later still nothing from Mike and his team. No email thanking us for our stay and business. No invoice of charges. I also won’t be holding my breath on getting the reward points applied to my account.
I know I am not crazy because I had another meeting (at a different Holiday Inn) that I planned happen the week after my Inverness meeting. They were perfect! After this two day meeting I received an email for the Sales & Catering Coordinator. She thanked us for our business and let me know that the invoice of charges would be forthcoming. I received that invoice the next day.
Whether business or pleasure I would NOT EVER use this hotel again. It’s just not worth the headache.

Event planners, Administrative Assistance beware!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Sullivan L,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you endured during the recent meeting and all activities leading up to your event. As you noted, Karen is no longer with our hotel and her position has not yet been filled. I truly apologize I was not as respondent as I was trying to manage through the details left behind to ensure your commitment was honored as booked with our hotel. I honestly did not intend to come across as being condescending at any time – I was hoping to assure you that everything would be fine.

Regardless of the turnover and the numerous errors that occurred previous to that, it was my job to ensure that you and your guests had a good experience at our hotel. On the day of your meeting, prior to any guests checking out, I was made aware of the rooms that were charged to the individuals. We corrected this immediately. Upon conclusion of your meeting, an associate of yours stopped by the front desk and requested the bill. I did not send an invoice to you since it was hand-delivered to this gentleman.

I am going to follow up with you directly to ensure you receive your planner points and ensure you receive anything else needed to wrap up this event. Please know we are at your service and when we speak I will extend an exclusive offer for another event to encourage you to give us a second chance.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

My stay here was more than we expected to get. We had a wonderful time in Birmingham and our hotel was the icing on the cake. Our room was nice and clean and the frontdesk staff was great. We were impressed with how professional and courteous your overnight girl was....especially since it was 4 am. the desk staff alone will make me stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Alittlethisandthat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We know your time is valuable. I will share your glowing comments with all team members. I am very happy we went above your expectations. I hope to see you in the future.

Warm Regards,

Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel needs some attention. Rooms was not very clean. A/c didn't work very well. All in all just a bad stay. I would not recommend staying here to anyone. The area the hotel is in is close to the events we were there to do. Other than that, I would stay away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring this concern to my attention. I will seek to see what the reason was at the time that you occupied the hotel, was not up to your standards as a valued guest. This is not typical of our establishment and I will see what happened.

Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I bit off of I459, but it was the only IHG property in the area that would allow me to have five people in a room. Another average HIE property. Breakfast area was dark at opening time. Front desk told me to go on in and I located the light switch and turned on the lights. Kids were looking forward to pancakes, but the machine wouldn't work. The breakfast staff reset it two times and it still wouldn't work. Apparently it does this often, but hasn't been repaired.

No road noise to speak of as it is far from the interstate and is set back from the main road (hidden). No complaints about the beds. Room was average, nothing fancy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for the comments. I know frustrating it can be when kids are looking forward to pancakes and there some reason they can't get them. I have had the same issue too. I am sorry the machine was malfunctioning at the time of your stay. The machine has been look at and is working presently. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback.

Chelsea, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Reserved a Double Queen Suite a week in advance. walked in at 11:00AM and asked to be called when the room was ready. I received a call at 2:00PM and was told that there were rooms ready, but there would not be a double queen suite available. I chose a King Suite with disappointment as it was for a family of four. The room appeared nice, were turned down the AC because it was very warm. we went to the pool, they were out of towels, the clerk walked by said he would bring towels, but never did. When we returned to the room it was still very warm. I called and asked for a fan, the clerk said they were not supposed to place fans in the room but he would look for one and bring it to the room, never happened. We sweat threw the night, and were repeatedly wakened by the load not cooling ac. Breakfast was good. I am sure the soccer players who asked for all the Double Queen suites enjoyed the room we were supposed to get. We did not have a vacation because of time and expense moving to the area, so I thought this would be a nice break for the kids before school. Oh as to the earlier response to another review, to the pull out sofa, very dated and uncomfortable. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Try the Hyatt.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Eric P,

Thank you for your comments. I will research the reason the room type was switched. I will also speak with the young man who didn't follow thru. I have taken the charges off of your credit card. I understand how frustrating it can be with a family to try to get away and feel empty.

I hope you have a nice rest of the summer.

Indiana, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night and I have not stayed at an HI for sometime. The front desk staff was nice but I was not happy to see so many stains on the furniture. Every single chair in breakfast area had some type of stain. The toilet seat in the room was clean but it had stains as well the housekeeping staff should have reported that this toilet seat be replaced. Because of appearances that was a real deal breaker for us. When we were leaving there were 2 housekeepers in one room talking one was sitting in a chair comfortably looking at her cell phone. I thought if they spent more time cleaning and reporting things the hotel would look much better. I will say the beds were comfortable and the towels were thick!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mike J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you taking a moment to share your comments with us. We have corrected some of the downfalls from your stay. The breakfast chairs are being cleaned as we speak. The team member that was on the phone no longer works for the hotel. Thank you again for staying and hope to see you in the future.

Mike Johnson

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness? Share your experiences!