“Great time at Cobb St.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast

You added Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1309 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35205   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Birmingham B&B and Inns
“Great time at Cobb St.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a night and we loved it. It is walking distance to restaurants and had a good breakfast. The neighborhood is ok but there is some riff raff near the food district, luckily the BB is right across from the police station. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Let me start by saying that the owners of Cobb Lane B&B are so kind and polite. They were excellent hosts. This is a cute little Victorian style home in the 5-points area of Birmingham. It was very central to many places, so the location is good from that aspect. I will admit, when we got off of the exit, we were in a not some great part of town. But, as we drove about a mile, the area improved. The B&B is actually directly across the street from the police department. My boyfriend , my 7 year old son and myself were staying. So, when I made the online reservations, I booked a downstairs room that also had a sofa in the room. The owner called me the next day, and suggested that I upgrade to the upstairs suite. The suite included 2 bedroom. The owner stated that when they have visitors with children, they often make this recommendation. The difference was only $10.00, so I willingly accepted.

The house is very pretty inside, and has lots of memorabilia. The suite was a great size. However, the one room with the smaller bed (for my son) had a mannequin and some baby dolls that frightened him. Frankly, they frightened me a bit. Which is no big deal. It's just that I can't imagine that if other younger children have stayed there, that it was a little scary for them. We had some drain issues with the bathroom shower and sink. It was late when we arrived, so we didn't bother the owners. Some molding and floor boards were in need of replacement around the doors. But again, this was a much older building and it was very beautiful in a lot of ways.

Breakfast in the morning was much better. The owner told us that he had a culinary graduate interning with them, and she cooked us a lovely breakfast. My son is picky, and without even having to ask, the owner offered him some cereal instead. Great move!! It was so nice chatting with the other guests around the breakfast table. Everyone was from a different state, so we had a great discussion.

Minus a few little issues, this was a nice stay. I would recommend.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. The suite has two bedrooms for more people.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Cobb Lane B&B appears charming, and the reviews are good. But when we made our reservation, space was only available in their newly acquired, but not-ready-for-retail building a few blocks away: The Hassinger Daniels Mansion B&B. I accepted the assignment and assumed the establishment would live up to the quality and charm of Cobb Lane. Odd I thought, that I could find no details of this building on the Cobb Lane website. But even after I was alerted to the ongoing construction and renovations, I hoped for the best. When we arrived, we just felt they were not ready for business. Door framing incomplete; walls, woodwork, and staircases unpainted; a half-sheet hangs in the bathroom in place of a curtain. And many of the normal B&B amenities that were promised at Cobb Lane were no where to be found. To their credit, the owner listened to my concerns, addressed them, and offered to help us relocate. Because of that personal and professional response and offer-- which we accepted--I would give Cobb Lane another try when back in Birmingham. But I don't believe it is a good business plan to open before really ready to give people a quality B&B experience. It can sully what should be a solid reputation.

Room Tip: Don't stay at their Hassinger Daniels Mansion building unless you find evidence on their website...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here overnight while visiting friends who live here. They had never been here either and when I gave them a look at my room, the dining area and sitting area they were impressed with how nice it was.

It was a really cute place to stay in. The rooms and whole interior give it a very historic feel which gives it character. The bed was comfortable and I had my own bathroom which was across the hall. I was in the Camilla room.

Breakfast was served at 7am. So if you dont like having breakfast with other guests or at a particular time this may not be the place for you. I was there on a weekday, and 7am was a little early in my view for breakfast considering i was out late with my friends. I would have preferred even an 8am start just to get a little sleep in. But i was heading out early as it was so it suited me enough. But it is something some people may have a problem with. Standard fare of eggs, fruit, muffin etc. It was enough for me as i am a light eater especially in the mornings.

All in all for the rate I paid, it was excellent value in an expensive city. The exterior and interior were just lovely and made for a nice stay, especially sitting on the porch or in the sitting room looking out onto the street. It was a nice alternative to expensive hotels.

I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Camilla room is great for singles or couples. Decent sized and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Cobb Lane is a very cute B&B in an ideal location in Birmingham, close to a number of bars and excellent restaurants, about a mile from the more economically devastated downtown in the university neighborhood.

Be careful what room you end up with. We stayed downstairs in the "Camilla" room, and it was a little too close to the kitchen for comfort, with the bathroom across the hall.

The B&B was very clean, no complaints - the decor was almost oppressively chintzy, but it is a B&B after all, and that is part of the charm.

Breakfast was pretty standard, eggs and bacon with some fruit. We got hungry again about an hour later - it would have been nice to have a slightly larger helping of eggs for my fiance who is vegetarian. It was also served early, 8 am on Saturday and 9 am on Sunday.

The owner was very hospitable, and the front porch was a lovely place to sit after a walk through the neighborhood. There are complementary drinks (water, soda) and cookies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Killen, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I the Inn keeper was a lovely lady. My husband and I enjoyed our stay in the room periwinkle (with private bathroom). It was clean and spaceous. We will be back agian the next time we are in Birmingham. I can not wait the see the new B&B they are remodeling and stay in that one. I highly recommed this B&B thats looking for a nice place to stay in Birmingham.

Room Tip: i think i would prefer to sleep upstairs, we stayed in periwinkle and I had its own private bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, ak
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had lived in B'ham for 10 years in that particular neighborhood so we were excited to find this B&B. We are avid B&B stayers and have run one briefly in the past. We arrived in the afternoon around 3-4 PM...Several keys to house were taped to the door...Considering the area, and yes, there is a police precinct directly across the street, I arched my eyebrows a bit. There were attached directions to the rooms and a note telling us what time breakfast would be served. 7 AM..no other options...this we knew well ahead of time from another reviewer. The house was an old style beautiful Southside residence which reflected the grander days of a past time. Lots of antiques, lots of doll collections spread throughout. But no one was there. We wandered around checking out the place and our room was beautiful. However, there were containers with somebody's leftover food on the mantle and my husband dropped his hairband behind the bed so he had to crawl under it to get it and came up covered in dust bunnies. I don't think it had been dusted in a long, long time. Not good for a B&B. The bed linens which I would have expected to be excellent...were not. There was not even a fitted sheet for a bottom sheet. Although there were lots of beautiful pillows on the bed, when you took them out of the shams, it was obvious they were not meant to be used as pillows. They had no pillow cases on them. The pillows provided were one small one apiece. The quality of the linens were not excellent either. I expected to hear other people in the house as I lived in one a few blocks away for 10 years. Same style, same vintage. However, this would be a good use for a carpet in the upstairs bedroom. They tromped around until 3 AM...Not good...The bathroom was a 50's style pink bathroom and some of the base board was missing....The window had a shade that allowed for no privacy in the bathroom. Anyone in the alley might have had a good view...:)....Also, there was no lock on the door to our room. It had pocket doors, and there was a good 1 inch gap between the drawers. There was a heavy drape one could pull across the doors but we had some very expensive electronics and the lack of security really bothered us....Keys taped to the outside door, no lock on a room....Next morning we arrived at breakfast...I usually love B&B breakfasts...It is one of the highlights. Ira was there as were the other few guests Introductions were made...and breakfast was brought to us. It consisted of approximately one scrambled egg...dry...one small slice of sausage, one overly sweet (to me) store bought pastry, 3 grapes, 1 strawberry and a few blueberries....Breakfast in a B&B should be the highlight of the day...Cookbooks have been written by B&B owners...They should be spectacular...This wasn't...not good...Granted, Ira seems to have a busy life. He/They are remodeling another house for another B&B. They should finish this one perfectly, hire the help they need to keep it sparkling, and buy a B&B breakfast cookbook. Now, this place wasn't bad and it wasn't good and he seemed like a very nice man but that is not what I expect from a B&B...We were sorely disappointed. It would be an excellent place for people connected to the University or the medical complex...It is an exciting part of town to be in, the restaurants in the area are fantastic...I just wish it had lived up to everything else that is available on Southside.

Room Tip: pick a room on the top floor so you arn't kept awake till 3 AM..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cobb Lane Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!