“As expected and nice.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
Chapel Hill, NC
“As expected and nice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

This newly opened Courtyard fully achieves the corporate standard -- clean, efficient and fast service. Free wi-fi that actually works, and a small but nice business center well suited for printing airline boarding passes (printer works too). The hotel is in a location that will appeal to visitors to UAB medical center (adjacent) and downtown Birmingham, rather than tourists. It has an exceptionally friendly and efficient front-desk. There is a reasonable charge for the breakfast buffet, which is middle quality, nicely located, and as fast (or slow) as you want it to be.

Stayed March 2007

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

I'm a travel agent, but was at this hotel because a family member was/is at the hospital accross the street. I want to commend this hotel for being the best Courtyard i've ever stayed at. It was a stressfull time and we booked 3 rooms...all were immaculate, from the decor to the great bathroom amenities. Everytime we passed an employee, we got a smile and salutation.

I'll unfortunately be going to Birmingham a number of times in the next few months, but feel very comfortable in knowing that the Courtyard is very accomodating & will do as my home away from home.

• Liked — location to hospital & very comfortable linens/pillows
  • Disliked — a/c could have been colder...
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

All in all this was a good choice for my first visit to Birmingham. However, if you plan to be entertained in the immediate area, find another place to stay. This hotel is there for the hospital. The hotel was clean and so were the rooms. I did however have a question about the sheets upon checkin. The pillow cases were all wrinkled up. I think that since they are a nicer quality cotton bedding, which they are (actually one of the best hotel beds that I have slept in a long time), they just weren't taken out of the dryer in time. SO, they looked wrinkled. My other comment is on the front desk staff. They seem friendly enough, but not very happy to be there. I question the management with this issue though. I don't think that this hotel gets many regular tourists, so they have a hard time giving directions in their own town. Kinda sad really. But all in all, when I go back, I will probably stay here again since it was close to the places that I wanted to go.

Stayed January 2007
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

This is one of the best (if not the best) hotel we've stayed in a longggggggggggg time. Everything from the foyer when you first walk in to the rooms were warm and welcoming. Everything was clean, the beds and pillows were soft, but not too soft and extremely comfortable. Will definitely stay again. The only dislike we had was the doors slammed extremely hard as people walked in and out of their rooms and woke us a few times during the night.

• Liked — the beds, the cleanliness, access to UAB, eateries in walking distance, friendly staff
  • Disliked — slamming doors
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights in January while interviewing for a medical residency at UAB. Its a brand new hotel and is directly across the street from UAB hospital and is connected by a catwalk. There is parking in a garage next to the hotel ($6/day), and there are several restaurants and delis within 1-2blocks of the hotel.

The room was very clean and well appointed. The bed was probably the softest I've ever seen at a hotel. The AC worked well to cool the room but did not circulate the air. Also, the AC unit had mold growing on the vent and had a stale smell to it (obviously since there was mold on it). I told the front desk about it, and they said they'd look into it. But when I came back to my room that night it was still there, and it still smelled musty in the room. So, I bought some lysol disinfectant spray and sprayed the vent (something a guest really shouldnt have to be doing). After that I didnt notice as strong of a smell. Overall though, the room was nice. The AC probably needed to be serviced but no other complaints.

Other hotel ammenities included breakfast in the morning starting at 6:30. I left each morning before this, so I never got to try the breakfast. They have coffee from 6am-10am. It would be nice if they had expanded coffee hours. The lobby was nice, new-looking, and clean.

When I made my reservation I was supposed to get a $99/night rate for people interviewing with UAB. When I made my reservation I was first told they could only give me $139, then they said $119. They denied that a $99 rate existed. When I showed up, several of the other applicants had $99/night, but some were forced to pay $169/night. I guess I should feel lucky they gave me $119/night. But why all the confusion for the same group of people? And when I kindly explained the situation they still refused to correct my bill. It took 2 calls by the department at UAB before they fixed the rate. When I came to check out, they were very rude. I felt this was not necessary since I had been professional and respectful to them but just wanted the rate I had been promised.

Overall, I would stay here again. But if you go here be aware that the people at the front desk and the people you make reservations with really dont know what they're doing. Some other people also interviewing with us the same day stayed at the Doubletree (about 2 blocks away but an equal distance from the hospital, I think its just on the other side of the hospital) and they really liked it. I think its older though.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — AC unit and Front desk service
  • Tips/Secrets — get your quoted rate in writing before arriving at the hotel
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

While on a recent trip to Alabama, my husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, UAB. We could have not asked for a better stay. The hotel is new and very centrally located. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. The price was very reasonable, as well. The hotel staff was very courteous and was eager to help with any requests. During the stay, I left some clothes hanging in the closet. That night when I returned home, I called the hotel to see about having my items sent to me. The housekeeping manager could not have been nicer. The day after speaking with him, my clothes arrived to my home by FedEx, and he was nice enough to cover the costs as well. If I am ever in Birmingham again, I will be sure to stay at the Courtyard UAB!!!

• Liked — Friendly & Courteous Staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
flowery branch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

I stayed at the Courtyard Downtown during the Mercedes marathon. The rooms were great. This is one of the finest hotels that I have ever stayed at. Be sure you try this one.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB? Share your experiences!