“Wonderful hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #30 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Decatur, Georgia
“Wonderful hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I just held a business meeting and the accomodations were wonderful. They were able to put together a package for me at the last minute and met all of our needs. The location is great and many places within walking distance. High praises to Mary, Jean, Jessica and Chris for a great experience.

D.Clark
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Good Morning Donna C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. I will pass along your kind words to the team members that you listed. We all look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Opp, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our stay was due to medical tests & a doctor visit at Kirkland Clinic. Being anxious and nervous about the medical appointments, it was so very comforting to be greeted by such very kind staff at the hotel. Our room was the absolute cleanest hotel room we have ever stayed in. This is saying a lot as we travel frequently. The bistro area, featuring Starbucks, is a nice plus. It was very clean as well. The staff working the bistro were beyond cheerful and nice. Our experience was a wonderful one here and we would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. We were able to leave our vehicle in the hotel parking garage and walk to the Kirkland Clinic without getting outdoors. Take our recommendations and stay here!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Julie B, thank you for the kind words about your stay and the service the team here provided. We hope to see you again soon,
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

For a hotel convenient to the north pavilion of UAB, this is perfectly located. Aside from location though, I found it subpar to other Courtyards I've stayed in.

This property is adjacent to the 4th Ave. Parking Deck. As a guest you'll park in this deck, and your parking is validated. The process however is somewhat inconvenient as each time you plan on leaving the deck, you have to get a pass for the exit gate from the hotel's front desk. The Sky Lobby for the hospital is located at this deck, which offers you quick walking access to the majority of the UAB complex without ever having to step outdoors (aside from a ~20 yd walk to deck from lobby).

We stayed here while a family member was a patient at UAB, and this let us go from hotel to hospital room in mere moments. Location was perfect.

Beyond location, much was left to be desired:

Elevators were comically slow. Not necessarily the wait, but their speed. By far the slowest I've ever been on.

Toilet ran every few minutes. Loud and often enough housekeeping had to have noticed it, but evidently never reported it to maintenance.

Air conditioner was not working when we got to room. Again, why is housekeeping not reporting problems they find? Maintenance personnel came promptly, but had a poor attitude. He lingered for a tip. Sorry, I'm not tipping a maintenance man for repairing something that should have been working before I checked in.

Like most courtyards, it showed some wear, but it wasn't an issue. It is a value brand, not a Ritz-Carlton, so my expectations are realistic. Aside from these issues the room was fine.

I do want to say we arrived early and inquired about an early checkin, as we were going to be at the hospital that afternoon. They were kind and handled it without issue.

I hope our bad room was an anomaly. Based on my good experiences with other Courtyards and Marriott properties in general, I would stay here again if I had the need. The location is the main factor in this decision.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Patriot33,
I appreciate you taking the time to share with the community the positives and negatives about your stay in June. We are very close to the Medical Center and many people agree with you that is one of our biggest positives. As well as doing our best to accomodate the wishes of our guests with early check ins when available. I do apologize for the issues that you found with your room and bringing these to our attention will allow us to improve for future guests. I hope that you have a health filled holiday season.
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is my second time staying at this great hotel. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. It was quiet and I had a relaxing night's sleep. I enjoy the Bistro snack area downstairs and the public areas are clean and well-kept.

This hotel has convenient parking and you can also get a free pass to the fantastic UAB gym and swimming pool. That is super. The employees all seem very caring and made sure we had everything we needed during our stay. Best of all it was close to family who live downtown.

Room Tip: A room facing the back of the hotel would be quieter than one in the front. Our room faced the UAB...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Scoobytrips,
Thank you for the great review of the hotel. I very much appreciate the comments about the team and will be passing your review on to them. We look forward to your next visit.
Tupelo, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Friendly staff at the front desk and in the bistro. Rooms were nicely appointed and clean. Food in the bistro somewhat limited but what they have is prepared well and tasty. If you have business at UAB this is the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Alexander
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I have shared your comments with the front office team and the bistro team and they appreciate them a great deal. Look forward to taking care of your needs the next time you are in Birmingham.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I checked in, went to my room, and checked out.

I got to the elevator and let two of them go by because a guy who looked like he belong in hospiced filled up the first one with wheelchair and care crew and then the another guy who was coughing a storm was ahead of me.

This is in front of the emergency room and I could hear the siren from my room as soon as I stepped in.

I thought to myself how many sick people have been in this room. I felt like I was in the hospital. It's not for me.

Also, parking was a big pain.

If you're staying at the hospital you'll love it. If you're a Golden Girl you'll love it, too. Otherwise, avoid it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear U of L Traveler,

Thank you for adding your comments about my hotel on Trip Advisor. The majority of our guests are staying with us for the use of the Medical facility. We are easy to access the facility via the skybridge. I do understand the feelings that you may have felt as you arrived at the hotel. I want to assure you that we go to great lengths to keep our rooms not only clean but sanitized. Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to see on your review that you rated us high for staff service. Safe travels,
Enterprise, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family and I were staying at the UAB downtown location to visit someone in the adjacent hospital. We were all stressed and exhausted. After obtaining our room, I went down to the Bistro to relax and gather my thoughts. A young man there (his name tag said "Cam") was very pleasant and attentive. I sat in a booth and watched as he interacted with the other guests. He was professional, cheerfully pleasant and provided excellent customer service to each and every indivual he encounted. The next morning I went down for coffee and Cam was still hard at work. I enjoyed my interaction and brief conversation with him. His customer service skills were excellent, he is a prime example to what quality customer service is all about. He was a blessing in a stressful situation and I greatly appreciated his service. Thank you Cam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Mrs. Borders, thank you for taking the time to write this message about Cam. We are very fortunate to have Cam in the Bistro. With so many of our guests coming for the hospital, we feel it very important to have positive personalities working in all areas of the hotel. I hope your friend is on to a speedy recovery.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB? Share your experiences!