“Nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“Nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I got this hotel through Priceline for a very good deal. It was a little hard to find and to figure out parking which did cost. Room was nice, with king size bed and couch. Front desk staff was very friendly and helped me figure out where to go to dinner and see a movie. Hotel did not include a continental breakfast but did have a small restaurant where I had a mocha and yogurt, which was nice and light for a great start to my day.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Good afternoon

Thank you for the positive posting about your stay at our hotel. I am glad we were able to assit in making your stay and enjoyable one. If we can assist in the future please do not hesitate to call us directly.

Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a nice hotel with comfortable rooms and a pleasant lobby. Very easy to get to UAB hospital by going in the parking garage door, going up one floor and walking through the skybridge into one of the main areas of the hospital. The staff here is cordial. We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for the great comments. We appreciate your stay with us and are pleased that we met your needs. If we can be of service in the future please do not hesitate to call us directly.

Have a great day!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our stay started off a bit strange, since parking garage is shared with the hospital. We had no cart to help with luggage, so be sure and tote the minimal amount. However, if you have someone in the hospital, this would be the ideal situation. clean rooms and restaurants within walking distance. When leaving, the machine wouldn't take our ticket and we had to reverse, go back and get another ticket-- a bit inconvenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at my hotel. We appreciate all of the feedback we receive. I will be speaking with the gargage manager to see about a better way to transfer luggage through the two buildings.

Have a great day.
Gulf Shores, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice hotel. Everything looked new. Have a restaurant inside that stays open later than most food places around the area. Walking distance to area hospitals.
Parking garage great location to hotel & hospitals. Garage is $6 per day the cheapest of any other. The service was outstanding. Especially the front desk staff. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for the kind words about our property. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you very soon,

Chris Townsley
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown at UAB
Palm Harbor, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Nice, clean and great location if you are visiting the UAB hospital (I was) as it is across the street with a walkway to the hospital about 30 feet from the front door. Close to restaurants and about 20 minutes from the airport by cab. The hotel has two issues which seem to be standard things in all the hotels I have stayed at lately: One, a REALLY slow elevator which is a minor inconvienience, but two, exactly 1/2 of the exercise room machines were broken which is a big deal for me. The staff was courteous and efficient. They discontinued coffee for free in the lobby while I was there which wouldn't be such a big deal if they restocked the coffee in my room for the in room coffee maker. I had to have my key "re-keyed" 5 times in a six day stay and every time they asked me if I had extended my stay. No I hadn't.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you can as ambulances arrive with sirens blaring about every 30 minutes, but w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Good Morning,
Thanking you for taking the time to deliver this posting about the hotel. I am the new General Manager for the hotel and have looked into both of the issues that you stated, as much as I would like to speed up the elevators I have been told that is not possible. I did go ahead and have the fitness center equipment company come out and review the machines and make certain they are in working order.
I appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.
Starkville, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a basic hotel, but we enjoyed our stay for several reasons. Here are pluses:
- we were able to go to a UAB gym, which is a very good one (you need to pay parking though)
- cafe was open late and it was convenient since we could get tea
- cafe staff was really sweet and the lady brought us an extra banana when she saw we have a hungry munchkin with us. It was a sweet gesture!
- breakfast was really good (we got a hotel+parking+breakfast package)
- clean
- good location (although I did not feel I could safely walk in this neighborhood)

We would come back again if we need to stay in downtown Birmingham!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I should have known something was up when I was initially quoted a UAB patient rate of $214 a night! My mother-in-law had stayed here the week before and had no complaints. It is very convenient to UAB and Kirklin Clinic. We chose it because of this. My husband is oxygen dependent and cannot walk long distance. Jessica who checked us in was very helpful. The room was comfortable and after checking the in room information booklet and seeing that breakfast was served until 10 a.m. we decided to sleep in after an exhausting day. No issues that night but when I went into the bathroom the next morning to take my bath there was a HUGE cockroach in the bathtub! No fond of sharing my spaces with critters especially at $!50 a night. We went down stairs to get breakfast at 0930 and were told that is the time they stopped serving. The sad thing is we will probably stay here again because of it's proximity to the hospital an clinic and my husband's inability to walk any distance. Worst Courtyard experience ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB? Share your experiences!