“Great Location for Hospital Visitors” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Great Location for Hospital Visitors”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Nice, clean and great location if you are visiting the UAB hospital (I was) as it is across the street with a walkway to the hospital about 30 feet from the front door. Close to restaurants and about 20 minutes from the airport by cab. The hotel has two issues which seem to be standard things in all the hotels I have stayed at lately: One, a REALLY slow elevator which is a minor inconvienience, but two, exactly 1/2 of the exercise room machines were broken which is a big deal for me. The staff was courteous and efficient. They discontinued coffee for free in the lobby while I was there which wouldn't be such a big deal if they restocked the coffee in my room for the in room coffee maker. I had to have my key "re-keyed" 5 times in a six day stay and every time they asked me if I had extended my stay. No I hadn't.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you can as ambulances arrive with sirens blaring about every 30 minutes, but w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chris T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Good Morning,
Thanking you for taking the time to deliver this posting about the hotel. I am the new General Manager for the hotel and have looked into both of the issues that you stated, as much as I would like to speed up the elevators I have been told that is not possible. I did go ahead and have the fitness center equipment company come out and review the machines and make certain they are in working order.
I appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Starkville, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a basic hotel, but we enjoyed our stay for several reasons. Here are pluses:
- we were able to go to a UAB gym, which is a very good one (you need to pay parking though)
- cafe was open late and it was convenient since we could get tea
- cafe staff was really sweet and the lady brought us an extra banana when she saw we have a hungry munchkin with us. It was a sweet gesture!
- breakfast was really good (we got a hotel+parking+breakfast package)
- clean
- good location (although I did not feel I could safely walk in this neighborhood)

We would come back again if we need to stay in downtown Birmingham!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I should have known something was up when I was initially quoted a UAB patient rate of $214 a night! My mother-in-law had stayed here the week before and had no complaints. It is very convenient to UAB and Kirklin Clinic. We chose it because of this. My husband is oxygen dependent and cannot walk long distance. Jessica who checked us in was very helpful. The room was comfortable and after checking the in room information booklet and seeing that breakfast was served until 10 a.m. we decided to sleep in after an exhausting day. No issues that night but when I went into the bathroom the next morning to take my bath there was a HUGE cockroach in the bathtub! No fond of sharing my spaces with critters especially at $!50 a night. We went down stairs to get breakfast at 0930 and were told that is the time they stopped serving. The sad thing is we will probably stay here again because of it's proximity to the hospital an clinic and my husband's inability to walk any distance. Worst Courtyard experience ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

So I had the opportunity to help our extended family with their stay while they attended their daughter at UAB Hospital. I called the hotel and spoke with Jessica. She went the extra mile in helping me complete the transaction. I think that all the staff are as courteous as Jessica.

• Stayed October 2012
Montgomery Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice Hotel. I have stayed here several times for appointments at UAB, and the night before a flight. The hotel is off of the interstate and fairly easy to get back on interstate and to the airport. The hotel is connected to UAB, which makes it very nice. Between the parking garage, the hotel, and the hospital one never has to go outside. NOW- the STAFF!!!! The staff was PERFECT, friendly, and more than helpful. Tammy has checked me in the past 3 times. She is awesome!
The rooms were nice, clean, spacious, and the beds were comfortable.THis is a great choice!

Room Tip: request a room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I spent a few days at this hotel and overall it is not a bad hotel. The room I stayed in was very nice.
One of the main things to consider parking....you can not park near your room.
There are some restaurants right down the street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is connected to the hospital which makes it very convenient. Between the parking garage, the hotel, and the hospital one never has to go outside. The rate was high ($143/night) for a courtyard, but the convenience was worth it to us. The staff was wonderful, friendly, and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. There is a Bistro near the lobby which had good food, friendly staff, and nice atmosphere. I was expecting a free breakfast, but apparently the Bistro replaced it! The surrounding area isn't the greatest, but we never felt threatened but we never ventured out much after dark. There are a variety of places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Downtown UAB? Share your experiences!