“A fantastic stay for a short business trip or pleasure” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Golf Package
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Great Midwest
“A fantastic stay for a short business trip or pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on June 4, 2014 for a short business trip while visiting a customer in Birmingham. This is a golf resort and really a very nice resort hotel for business or pleasure. It is also the official hotel for the Porche Driving School. The hotel is excellent for swimming and golfing during the day and pool side drinks and food service is available. The location of this resort is out in the suburbs of Birmingham and about a 25 minute drive from downtown but let me tell you it is well worth the drive. The area is very clean and upscale located in the Ross Bridge Resort area.Even though the resort has a Birmingham address it is really located in a suburb called Hoover. They also have car rental on sight.

CHECK IN:
Check in was a breeze and our room was ready earlier than expected and they even gave me a free upgrade on the 5th floor pool view.

ROOM/LOCATION:
Our room was clean, neat, and tidy upon check in and had plenty of towels. The linens were good and the queen beds were very comfortable. Our room was on the 5th floor pool view and also had a partial view of the golf course.

RESTAURANTS:
Had a buffet breakfast at Brocks and it was outstanding. They had a great selection of anything you wanted from omelettes to biscuits and gravy and everything was excellent. I highly recommend the breakfast and it cost $20.00 per person.

CONCLUSION:
I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. If you are a golfer you will love it and so will the family because they can sit by the pool all day while you are out golfing. The pool also has a water slide for the kids and a hot tub. I did check out the spa facilities but didn't use it but I can tell you it was very clean and if I had more time I would have taken advantage of the spa. They do have a gift shop store and coffee shop in the lobby and it does come in handy for drinks and snacks. The resort also has an outdoor terrace and fire pit which is very nice to sit outside in the evening and watch the sun set and smoke a nice cigar. They do sell cigars on property in the lounge. My only real disappointment was there was not complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. All fine hotels serve complimentary coffee in the morning and they may want to take this into consideration. The only other minor problem was the elevators are slow during the day at peak times.

Room Tip: A room facing the pool on a high floor is the best view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We had stayed at this hotel last summer and had a wonderful stay so when I was looking for a place to celebrate my daughters 19th birthday I thought this would be the perfect place. I called to arrange spa appointments 10 days to two weeks in advance and left a message on the spa voicemail - they never returned my call. When I called back a few days later they said they could not accommodate us and that they were booked. When my husband called back they worked out two nail appointments but that was all they could work out and they made me feel badly for asking. I also called Brock's to arrange for a cake for her birthday - I spoke to a young man who took down all my information, said he would talk with the chef and call me back - he never did. When I called back to confirm the cake no one had any record of my original request. I went through the whole order again and this time was able to confirm my order. Our room did not have any of my preferences there nor did they ever deliver them. Lunch in the Clubhouse Restaurant was wonderful and Breakfast was also very good, but the dinner we had at Brock's was awful. I order a steak at $42.00 and received a steak full of gristle and fat. When I spoke to the waitress about it she told me that strip steaks have marbling. I know the difference between marbling and gristle. She did not offer to do anything about it. My daughter's pasta carbonara was bland and tasteless....I felt terrible - it was her 19th birthday. I have had better dinners at Applebee's and/or Ruby Tuesday's - this was supposed to be a nice dinner/birthday celebration. The cake was there and it was the best part of the meal. When we went to check out the next day I called ahead for help with the luggage and our car. From our room we saw the car be pulled up but 20 minutes later no one had come for our luggage. I called again and the woman said she was sorry and she would send someone right up...no one had come 15 minutes later so we struggled to carry it all down by ourselves. When we got down to the valet there were 5 bellman standing around talking to each other and watching us struggle. When they asked if they could help I told them we had called for help twice and no one ever came. They said the woman had never called them....this is supposed to be one of Marriott's resorts...we have stayed at several and this was the worst customer service we have ever experienced! We are Marriott Silver level members and they treated us very poorly. I will not return to this resort nor will I book it for any business conferences for my husband. Beautiful property - such a shame! I stopped and asked for the manager at the front desk after asking my daughter to wait in the car - I felt so badly about how her birthday celebration went and I didn't want to make it worse by complaining in front of her. I shared all of my concerns with the woman at the desk as she said the manager had stepped away and I asked her to convey my concerns to the manager...he never followed up with me. The staff at the Courtyard Marriott in Tuscaloosa understand customer service better than the staff at this resort. When I looked at the reviews on the Marriott Insider I found that many others had poor experiences and that the hotel had seemed to go down hill over the past year or so.

Room Tip: If we had received better service and dinner had been good then the value would have been much bette...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
We are thrilled to be your resort of choice for yours daughters birthday celebration! However, I am appalled at the service you received throughout your stay and completely understand your frustration. In my research to ensure this does not happen in the future, I will be in contact to get more specific details. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to inform me of this situation and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Dallas TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We drive from Texas to stay at this fantastic resort. The hotel is beautiful and luxurious. The pool, golf and food is fantastic. You never have to leave. I must say the service before had always been about 3-4 stars but something significantly has changed because it's 5 stars. Thank you!!! You can find so many places to sit outside and have a cocktail. This is the best golf on the trail. Love it!!

Stayed May 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Before I get into the full review, let me put out there that this is definitely a hotel for those with higher incomes or money to burn. Having never been part of the upper income class of society I've become used to the lower class brands of hotel and the amenities that are included. For example, having to pay $10/day for internet was an unexpected detour from the mainstream "internet is a basic complimentary amenity". Would have been nice if they had a free internet option at a lower connection speed to choose from but they didn't. I took my wife there as an unexpected Birthday surprise so it was disappointing to her as she propped open her laptop full of glee and excitement expecting to be able to brag to her friends and family how her husband had picked her up from work and without any warning took her straight to a resort hotel. Being lower income, I couldn't afford to get her the internet for the day, but she made the best of it.

After this slight bump I decided to do something I've never experienced in my life (nor has my wife)...room service. The phone was majorly glitchy. It would only work as long as I held the receiver up and pressed down on the button to hang up while dialing for room service. Everyone with room service was incredibly cheerful and helpful during dinner.

Perhaps the best aspect of the room for us was the ability to checkout via the tv, control the tv with our phones, and most importantly, the balcony. The stay probably woulda been a total bust without the awesome balcony overlooking all the trees. It was by far my wife's favorite aspect of the room.

The only real fault I held against the hotel was its breakfast staff. They weren't particularly cheerful and almost seemed annoyed that we had ordered breakfast as room service. It made me wonder if maybe most people don't use room service for breakfast. Additionally they brought up the wrong food, but after how annoyed they seemed I didn't want to make a fuss about it so we just enjoyed what we ended up with.

Over all, the stay was incredible and I am planning to bring my wife back this month for our anniversary. This time I'll have the money saved up for internet and we'll skip breakfast altogether...maybe we'll pack some bread and PB&J to make our own breakfast. It's a great hotel, but if you aren't used to upper income resorts don't expect anything to be complimentary and definitely save up for it.

Room Tip: Go with the 6th floor facing the back. Fewer cars in the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is my second time here. The property is well maintained and in good shape. The rooms are nice. Bed is comfortable. What I loved was the service from the front desk I have sleep apnea which a lot of people have. The sleep machines use Distilled Water. I asked if they had some at the hotel and they did not. It is nothing if I have a rent a car but on business trips I never have a car. When I came to my room after dinner there was a jug of Distilled water in my room. I was not expecting it but they went out of their way to accommodate me. Things like this in my opinion really mean a lot to maintain loyalty.
I was also impressed with the fitness area. The have Hoist Machines and was able to get a pretty good workout in.
I would recommend the Ross Bridge and their staff to anyone going into the Birmingham Alabama area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
We are thrilled to have been able to assist in making your stay relaxing and enjoyable. Thank you very much for taking the time to compliment our front office staff and for sharing your experience at Ross Bridge. We look forward to having you back in the near future!
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I booked rooms for myself and family who were traveling across country to attend my Nieces Gradutation from University of Alabama. 24 Hrs prior to my flights, I received an email from Jason Henderson, Front Desk Manager, who advisedof a "computer glitch" and that they could not honor my reservation that I booked and paid for 5 months earlier. I was ulitaly passed off to the General Manager, Richard Lee, a Graduate of Alabama himself, who basically apologized but again the only solution he had was to move me to a low end business Marritott in Birmingham. What a joke. I wish I could draft a review and tell you how wonderful the hotel, the spa and the golf was, but unfortuately I cancelled all of the above based on a Computer Glitch that was discovered 24 hourd prior to my arrival. I hope the rooms you stole from me were well recieved by your friends you accommodated at the last minute.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Rick S, General Manager at Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Please accept my apologies for this unfortunate mistake on our end. I completely understand your frustration and am regretful for the inconvenience it caused you and your family. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to restore your trust and confidence in the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The best hotel in the area, hands down. Great golf course right on the property. Also other great public courses in the area such as Ballantrae if you dont want to splurge on Ross Bridge. The breakfast buffet was great. Not your typical buffet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!