“Not what I expected for a brand new hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Birmingham

You added The Westin Birmingham to your Saves list
The Westin Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2221 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N., Birmingham, AL 35203   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Meridian, Mississippi
“Not what I expected for a brand new hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My family and I wanted a hotel we had not been to before when visiting Birmingham last December. We chose the Westin hotel in Birmingham. It's supposed to be an upscale contemporary hotel but did not live up to my expectation. It is nice and about average but the room we stayed in was not as clean. My sons brought along their toys and as soon as my 3 year old got down to play, he had hairs all over him. I called the front desk and told them about it. They apologized and said it would be taken care of but they never did. After the room was cleaned the next day, it seemed there were even more hairs to be found; not accepted at all.

Also, for the nightly rate charged, parking should be included but you have to pay for parking in the attached garage. There are no pay-per-view options for TV/entertainment and the channel line-up is a joke. Almost certain that we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed for two nights for the BBVA compass bowl. Check in did not go smoothly as they had lost my reservation.... despite the fact I had the reservation code. And I couldn't help but feel I was inconveniencing them based off the reception I had, not the other way around. From there, we got put into an average size/style room. They were very clean and modern, but I just had less of a luxury vibe compared to other Westins I had stayed in. The shower (only a shower in king rooms) was a "rain" shower and was very nice. We were on the 8th floor (I think there were only 10?) so that was nice to be a bit higher up.

The Todd English PUB was jumping (perhaps due to all the football fans) and had a fabulous selection of beer and ambiance- we loved it!! Speaking of, they handle the room service for the hotel. The first night we ordered an omlette on the late night menu, just save yourself the $25. However, after a long next day, we ordered room service for dinner and it was amazing. The mac & cheese, to die for!

All and all, I'd stay again if I went back and wanted to be in that area since it the newer hotel. The area is getting built out a bit and should have future places to eat and visit around it in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a brand new hotel and overall is a top flight business hotel. The rooms are spacious with top flight HD tvs, plenty of plugs and great beddings. The workout room is another story. there are only 6 fitness machines, and only one weight machine. At 630 am there was a line and likewise at 730. Given the number of rooms and the expected number of guests for business meetings, the workout room is woefully inadequate and under equipped. Business travelers are usually on a tight schedule and having to come back later to fit a work out in just does not work. This workout room would have been small for a hotel half this size. Hopefully management will find another spot and get more equipment to finish off what is otherwise a wonderful property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently stayed one night at The Westin Birmingham. It is a lovely hotel. Room was very clean and beds slept great. Front desk staff was exceptionally friendly. We had a late arrival and they were so helpful once we got there. It is also easy to find and in a great location near the civic center and not too far from the airport. Highly recommend this hotel when visiting Birmingham.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Nice stay, big clean rooms. I had two rooms here for 2 nights. One thing that threw us was the minibar -- it was empty. So I called up to tell them to come fill it and the person on the phone was confused that I was confused about it being empty. It dawned on me later -- the minibar at this place is different than the other Westin I had just stayed at in Memphis -- it is more like room service where you call down, say you want a soda and then they bring the item up to you. Weird. I guess they have been having trouble with minibar management or something.

Also I called down to have dessert one night which was clearly listed as vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips in the room service menu, but the person I talked to didn't know what I was talking about, which was also weird. Ended up with plain vanilla since she couldn't find on the menu where it said "vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips". They should have the same menu & descriptions in front of them that I am looking at.

But other than those minor misunderstandings I enjoyed my stay there.

Indy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Westin Birmingham. Great amenities and I can frankly state that I have never met nicer people. Everyone I encountered was so incredibly nice and helpful. Loved my stay even though I was there for business. Will definintely be back and would recommend to anyone visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Thank you Westin for a wonderful experience in Birmingham! I stayed one night in Birmingham Alabama after my cousins wedding. I called a couple of times to make sure I would be in a nice room so my elderly mother would have what she needed. Being lifetime Platinum, I expected a nice welcome but had no idea they were going to give me the Penthouse Suite! It was an apartment and had 2 bedrooms that were as nice as they come. Modern in style, wonderful fresh robes all over the rooms, nice products, wonderful wonderful heavenly bed, great lighting and most of all, PERFECT service! We loved our stay from the beginning to the end. I've stayed in many hotels and this one is right up there with the best of them. (including, St. Regis in Rome, New York, Atlanta, Miami) They honored our 4:00 check out and gave us the best service ever! Thank you Westin!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There was nothing I can say to get a good room because we got the best room ever without asking.