“Luxurious & Comfortable w/Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Birmingham

You added The Westin Birmingham to your Saves list
The Westin Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2221 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N., Birmingham, AL 35203   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Luxurious & Comfortable w/Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the hospitality of The Westin Birmingham staff. Everyone my family came in contact with during our stay was courteous and cordial. Our bellhop, Bryan, was very helpful, informative, and made a concerted effort to ensure our stay was enjoyable.

My family and I stayed in two rooms on the 5th floor, two of us in a king, and three in a double. Both rooms were quiet, beds were comfortable, bathrooms clean, and large flat screen worked well. Rain shower-head in the spacious tiled bath is a nice touch of luxury.

The 2nd floor outdoor pool was slightly heated, making for a brisk and brief swim. Hot tub was soothing, and the water in both pool and spa looked clear and clean. The only downside is the pool area closes early, so my relaxing late night dip was cut short.

The Todd English Pub has friendly and attentive staff, serving good comfort food and tasty drinks, albeit a bit pricy. The beer selection is quite extensive, with great Belgian varieties available in 3 different sizes. The lively Friday night atmosphere provided an appropriate blend for people watching and casual conversation.

My family's next stay in Birmingham will definitely have The Westin at the top of our list for accomodations.

Parking tip: we were able to park two cars for free on the street, just a short (1-2 block) walk from the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Rooms 522 (2-doubles) & 526 (1-king) were both quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Meiguoren1,

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer attentive, friendly and efficient service; I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was hesitant to give this hotel a 5/5. When I was checked in, the front desk agent seemed a little detached. Nevertheless, check-in was smooth and swift, until I got up to my room, which wasn't exactly clean. I know mistakes happen, so I was not furious or anything. When I walked back down, ofcourse, it was all of a sudden busier than when I left. One of the agents was with small group of people, and I got the same one that checked me in. He did not really address my concerns and problems, rather simply said, "Okay." Very little eye contact was made. I was moved tto a new, clean room; however, the process took an almost unreasonable amount of time. Later that day, when I returned to the front desk to address what I thought was still unfinished business, there was only one front desk agent at the desk, and it seemed empty again. I talked to him for a while, and he seemed upset for me. He apologized repeatedly. I told him there was nothing he could really do to fix my problem, but he was relentless. He genuinely was remorseful for my inconvenience. It almost made me feel bad for complaining! Finally, I agreed to be fed at the hotel restaurant at a discounted price. By the time I got back to my room, there was an apologetic note, signed, "Anas, the front desk." All this attention really made me feel that the hotel could relate to me and wanted to make amends. I know that it wasn't a life-threatening problem, but it is not something I expected from a Westin. Upon check-out, Anas asked me if I felt that everything was adressed properly and what the thing that stood out the most to me was. I thought for a second, as he handed me a card promoting this website, asking me to tell the hotel about my experience. My answer was that he stood out the most to me. I was going to rate this hotel badly because of its many housekeeping and front desk issues that need to be adressed, but I could not let Anas's efforts be wasted. Something peculiar I noticed was that I never saw any management at or near the front desk. My problem could have been resolved much quicker had there been a manager to assist me when I walked down from the room. Just a sidebar, valet was friendlyand welcoming, Todd English P.U.B was exciting and just awesome, and people around the hotel are really friendly! I wish I could have experenced this without any issues.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my first time writing a review like this. I looked at some of the past reviews to get an idea of how it should look, and I was truly shocked at what some people have written about the hotel. It leads me to believe that it is just false. I own a couple Holiday Inns and I was tempted to steal some of the lovely staff away from this hotel and offer them double! Out of the 100+ hotels that I have stayed at, this was the most memorable experience I have had. I am a strong believer in hotel guest-friendly atmosphere. What I mean by this can simply be seen at the Westin;however, it all begins with the front desk staff. They are the face of the hotel. When I walked in, I could feel the energizing, fun, and all around welcoming atmosphere being radiated from the front desk. I was beamed with smiles the entire time. I had the pleasure to be checked in by Anas. His personality, gentle voice, and constant smiling really lifted my spirits. We had a fun conversation about Pharmacy and Neuropharmacology; I was shocked to find out that a front desk agent had so much medical knowledge. The few times I had issues with my stay, Anas was thrilled to not only restore my stay to how great it was before, but make it better. He even walked up with me to make sure I liked the new view of my room ater I complained about the first one so that I would not have to walk back down. I had the pleasure to check-out with the wonderful young man that I checked in with. BUT, I did not just get to check out with Anas; Karishma, the manager, was working next to him. Associate-Associate interaction and chemistry is just as important as Associate-Guest interaction, in my humble opinion. These two made check-out quite enjoyable. They both were constantly smiling, which rubbed off on me a little. One of them would say something to me and the other would add in and joke about it. These two are true superstars in service and atmosphere set-up terms. It was really nice to see the hotel can set up such a friendly enviroment at the front desk. The few things that went slightly wrong with my stay were basically completely forgotten by the time I walked out the front door. I definitely give this hotel and its impeccable service and staff a 5/5. Hopefully, I will get to return on a more personal enjoyment visit.

Room Tip: The even numbered room past 20ish have the best view in my opinion.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Michael P,

On behalf of The Westin Birmingham, I would like to warmly thank you for your wonderful and positive comments – we appreciate you taking time to post such comments. Moreover, we were so proud of everything stated in your review that we personally shared your comments with the entire staff. Thank you for taking time to put a smile on our faces as we did with you.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

First, let me start by saying how excited I was to hear of the Westin being build in my hometown of Birmingham. I am having a destination wedding in November and was looking into having an engagement celebration at The Westin early summer. I began contacting the Westin back in August 2012. After a few emails with various employee (catering, assistants), I was instructed to complete a RPF online and that I would be contacted in the Fall for a tour. Well, that did not happen. I also directly contacted the hotel inquiring about a wedding coordinator or event planner. No information was provided. I assumed with the construction of this new property that some transitions had to be made and I decided to wait until opening before I followed up with anyone. My fiance and I, along with our parents, decided to make a visit to the Westin last weekend and was immediately blown away! The decor is modern and elegant. We were in love! We were approached by a nice employee who listened to our story and offered to give us an impromptu tour. He was extremely compassionate and apologetic that we had not received a follow-up call/email regarding a tour and questions that we may have regarding our event. I left my card with all contact information and was told someone would contact me within the next business day. NO contact made as of yet. I have emailed the contact that I was given at their sister hotel, The Sheraton. No response. I also completed an updated RPF. On the website, it states that you should be contacted by a representative within one day. Well, it has been seven. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Although, this hotel is gorgeous; the lack of attention to customers really shed a negative light for me as well as my family. If the property is booked then a mere email stating that would be more than enough but not responding at all is unacceptable. With that being said, if the process to inquire about an event is this taxing I can only imagine what it is like to host an event there. Being disappointed is an understatement. I would like to thank the nice employee, Brian for his assistance and going above and beyond to make us feel welcomed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear J2B_2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize that there was no immediate follow up. However, I am delighted that our office was able to recently connect with you to discuss your matter further. Online reviews are great means to highlight areas for improvement, gain insightful information, and correct our faults. I am happy that we were able to do so in your situation. Moreover, we are excited to have the opportunity to celebrate your engagement at The Westin Birmingham!

We value each opportunity to delight your senses and look forward to additional opportunities to strengthen and expand our relationship.

Warmest Regards
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was there for a two day convention, and the hotel had not yet been open a full month even. The Sheraton next door (both connected to the convention center) is older but still has a very nice lobby. Other than a very minor case of food poisoning from the convention (of which I was not the only one - from the salad) this was nice. The text-for-car valet system was not working right at first, room service was a mess (three trips up to get me fries?!), and the phone operators are at the Sheraton and hadn't yet remembered that the Westin next door rang to them, too, so they transferred me to the wrong valet after the text didn't work. However, the staff overall was very nice and helpful trying to make it all right.

Room Tip: Make sure to be a Starwood Preferred Guest to get a better room - many rooms are set aside in better...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear NYCAngels,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. The room service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we currently offer, and I regret that there were many setbacks. Through changes in our processes, improvements have been made to correct different challenges like the ones you experienced. With this said, I hope you will visit our friendly and helpful staff again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The staff went way out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed for my husbands birthday. From the parking valet, baggage people and especially the concierge...perfect all the way around. We are so glad we stayed here. We will be staying again!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Exciting new up and coming area of birmingham. Russell was very informative about the areas restaurants. Eddie was also very helpful as well. The rest of the staff was awesome too. The lobby bar was nice, quiet and laid back. Room service was punctual and delicious. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear abertella,

Thank You so much for the two thumbs up! We appreciate your comments and look forward to servicing you again.

Been to The Westin Birmingham? Share your experiences!