“Food's all OK, despite some aspects of less-than-clean” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #426 of 872 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
south Florida
“Food's all OK, despite some aspects of less-than-clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

All seemed nice enough when we signed in with the hostess, but as we were seated we noticed dingy carpeting, bits of trash here and there. It certainly didn't help that we sat directly across the swinging doors into the kitchen, where someone thoughtlessly had a 55-gallon trash can—maybe 8-9 feet from us—and it wasn't pretty. Granted, had we been seated on the next aisle over, we might never have noticed it, but that did trigger an awareness of how the place just isn't quite *clean*. The "94" on the health inspection didn't quite overcome that impression.

Separately, our pizzas and pastas all tasted fine. And the service was adequate, timely enough, the waitress checking in at suitable intervals. No complaints there.

Management needs to give a LOT of attention to making the place sparkle. And not putting huge trash cans in plain view of roughly half the dining area. Given the abundance of dining options at this center alone, we see no need to return.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Palmetto Bay, FL
“Filthy Place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

If a place is not clean I can't really say much that is positive. The carpet was filthy and smelled of smoke. We were seated near the kitchen which you could see into each time the door opens. There was a garbage can spilled on the kitchen floor which nobody bothered to pick up. Near our table the wall had a huge dirty smear on it. I hate to think about what else you couldn't see if this was what you could. Yuk.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ASHVILLE
“Even better than before!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Since 1st of February 2014, Costas has made the restaurant Non-Smoking! Previously, smoking was allowed in the separately enclosed bar area, but the smoke-elimination system was occasionally challenged. Now, the whole establishment can enjoy clean breathing and tasting. Sorry for those with the habit, but this is good news for everyone's health and enjoyment of their fine delicacies.

Because of a central shopping location, Costas has earned a good following, and is host to groups dining there often. Even when busy, the staff is helpful to cater to special requests. This restaurant reflects the pride and involvement of conscientious family ownership.

Still our local favorite!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“I do enjoy this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love eating here--and I will often go there just to buy my own supply of the Greek house dressing. The food is very good but hands down--their fried cheese is the best I have ever had. Only once was I disappointed in them--they were overcooked. I love to dip the bread in the dressing. My favorite dish there is the Greek chicken. The portions are great (except, can't get enough bread or the cheese sticks!).

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ASHVILLE
“Our Favorite Local Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I try to dine at Costa's Trussville Cafe at least monthly, and at least whenever we have something to celebrate. It has become our local favorite, so much that we know which booth to request. The food is exceptional and the staff is a delight to get to know. They enjoy being part of the Costa family experience, and it usually shows in their service.
Confession: I usually order the Greek Salmon Salad because it is beyond comparison, so I don't have broad experience with the menu. Also go wild for their broiled grouper and grilled lamb, gyro sandwich, greek salad, and Ka-bobs. But, haven't ventured into the traditional meals much yet.
The only improvement would be a better air filtering system to isolate the smoke to the cloudy bar area; but it usually is kept from offending the dining area.
We highly recommend this dining secret, almost hoping it isn't discovered to the point that it could become overly busy. But, many locals are ignoring the hidden gem in their backyard.

• Visited June 2013