“Felt we were scammed” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 830 Restaurants in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American, Belgian, Vegetarian
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Alabama
“Felt we were scammed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

This restaurant has an excellent reputation and the food was good but we felt scammed by the waiter. We had a party of 6 and were looking to split 2 or 3 appetizers. The waiter sold us on an "appetizer sampler" which we were led to believe was mini portions of several appetizers. We ended up with 6 full appetizer portions and a cheese plate. Needless to say this upsell by the waiter upped out bill exceedlingly. We felt manipulated and will never go back. Food was good but not as good as Bottega down the street and we soon wished we had gone there instead. The restaurant is loud and not a nice atmosphere. We won't go back

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hoover, Alabama
“Bizarre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

What a bizarre and pretentious little place. I was taken here for my birthday. After the ordeal was over, the best thing I can say is I would rather have had the cash they spent. The patrons need to know that nobody really gives a damn about their conversation, so lower their voices...we are not impressed. Same goes for the food and the waitstaff.....we are not impressed.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Austin, TX
“Awesome--and at the Chef Counter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

My wife and I hit this place first out of many fine choices in Birmingham. We sat at the Chef Counter which gave us a great view of all the work being done in the kitchen. Chef Hastings personally welcomed all that sat at the counter and ventured out to the tables as well. We started with the lightest tasting fried okra we have had--not greasy and heavy. I had chicken and my wife had a couple of salads. Everything was excellent. Additionally, the chef sent out a couple of small tastings. My dessert was good, however my wife had some cookies and ice cream. The only downside to the whole evening was the ice cream.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best fried egg plant around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Best fried egg plant around

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My favorite restaurant in all of Birmingham!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My favorite restaurant in all of Birmingham!