“Loved that soul food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of saw's soul kitchen

saw's soul kitchen
215 41st st. south, Birmingham, AL 35222
+1 205-591-1409
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 872 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: you need to track this place down and add it. Great food in the Avondale district of Birmingham. Their phone is 205-591-1409
Birmingham, Alabama
“Loved that soul food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My sister and I recently ate at Saw's Soul Kitchen for lunch. I had read good reviews about it and knew that I enjoyed Saw's BBQ in Homewood, so we gave it a try. We must have arrived after the big lunch crowd, because thankfully we were able to get in and be the first one in line (although right after we got in line, several more people arrived) and we were able to grab a table. They only have six tables inside, so we were relieved that there were two empty tables left. It was raining outside, so we knew there would be no eating outside that day! Anyway, we both ordered the BBQ pulled pork on grits with turnip greens and fried onion rings. It was amazing!!! They gave a generous portion, and I cleaned my plate - enough said! I will definitely be going back to try some of their other items. They have a way with not only BBQ, but their sides are incredible! They have the best turnip greens in town. You may not want to go at noon since there will be a crowd. Either go early or go late, but enjoy it.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Dont let the outside fool you, Everything about this place was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Me and 10 family members went here and enjoyed everything. The baked beans are just ok though. The fries are the best you can find and the smoked wings are great they have a flavor I've never had befor.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A happin' place - SOUL FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a "must" stop while in Birmingham. Soul food that on the bottom of the chalk board menu that explains "the trouble of eating SOUL FOOD is that 6 or 7 days later youre HUNGARY AGAIN" It was good and filling with limited inside seating, some out side picnic tables in the alley and people standing in line out the door. We had the signature "pork and greens"

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“BBQ or soul food, it doesn't get better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

This place is a solid win. There is no better place in town. It's worth the wait in line and the lack of seating. The floor to ceiling chalkboard tells you the menu and specials, and I would highly recommend the bakers...

Rockaway NJ
“Best BBQ since Bryant's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

When he heard about my disappointment at Jim 'n' Nick's (though I can't forget those sublime grits), my local B'ham buddy said 'Y'all's have to try Saw's before you go back to Jersey', and I'm so glad we did. This was hands down the best I have had since I became a barbecue believer at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City many many years ago. Only problem is one short lunch visit didn't give me a chance to try much, but the pig sandwich and greens were superb, and I am told (and believe) everything else is too.

Saw's isn't for everybody. It is a hole-in-the-wall joint with very restricted space in a dreary and nondescript (though improving) neighborhood. There is room for about 12 people to sit inside and the same number outside. You may have to share a table. For beverages, you pretty much have sweet/unsweet tea and coke to choose from. Plates are paper and cups are styrofoam. The place gets deservedly busy. BUT - concentrate on the food and you have made a great discovery,and if you want your 'cue with beer you can take it to the next door (and excellent) Avondale brewpub. There is a terrific grocery selling locally produced vittles and produce right across the road. I was able to load up on grits and pickles before heading to the airport (via the excellent Garage Cafe. check that place out too if you are in town with an appetite for the unique and quirky). In short, this place is 'the bomb' and deserves your support. It will not disappoint.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere