“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Drury on our way down to Gulf Shores a few weeks ago. We checked in late, around midnight, so we had to get security to let us in. There wasn't enough parking, so we had to park at the steakhouse next door. The room was very clean and the bathroom had nice tile everywhere. The king bed was awesome. Just what we needed after a long day of driving. The breakfast was good with a lot of hot foods like eggs and bacon. The staff was very friendly as well. We didn't have time to swim, but the pool looked very clean. Overall, a great stay.

• Liked — Location and breakfast
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Houma, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

After leaving another establishment in Birmingham, we welcomed the hotel change. This establishment was clean and spacious (King Jaccuzi Suite). Complimentary breakfast was delicious. Only problem, the refrigerator was broken. I informed the staff that I had some items that required refrigeration and requested that someone check on it. After one call to the front desk attendant, Jonita, and one visit downstairs to speak with her, someone finally came to check on the refrigerator. It was determined that it was not working. When I requested that someone replace it (a small collegiate style dorm room refrigerator) with another one from another vacant room, I was told that the maintenance crew was not working. Jonita stated that she could swap out the refrigerator, but she wasn't going to lift it up. Rhonda couldn't because she had neck surgery. After about an hour, staff called to say that they would move us to another room. Rather that awake my sleeping significant other (exhausted from the long trip) to get him to move the refrigerator, I went downstairs and informed staff that I would move the refrigerator myself instead of allowing my items to expire. Needless to say they were pretty shocked that a tiny little lady would move it. At least my food items (chocolate covered strawberries and apples with nuts and coconut from Edible Arrangements- which were more important than the other food items -wink) did not expire. Needless to say, this was my second stay at one of the Drury Inn hotels at each I had problems with getting problems resolved by staff personnel, but I would still recommended it for its spaciousness (1st visit King Executive Suite, 2nd visit King Jaccuzi suite) and cleanliness. Great place to stay just don't expect the staff to resolve any problems should such arise.

• Liked — Spaciousness and cleanliness of the King Suite.
  • Disliked — Staff attention to responsing to a guest's need.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
los angeles, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

The hotel overall was okay. We booked a suite with a decent bathroom. The furniture was dated and old looking but it was the horrible beds that made our stay so terrible!!! I don't think I've ever slept on a more uncomfortable bed. We were there for 3 nights and I dreaded going to sleep everynight. Bed was mushy and the sheets and pillows were horrible.

the kids enjoyed the pool area.

the breakfast was near inedible with reconstituted scrambled eggs. We will try a different hotel next time we're in B'ham.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — BEDS!!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scottsville, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

The King Suite was wonderful and the hotel, about 2 1/2 years old as of this writing, was immaculate and overflowing with extras. We paid about $150 a night for the Suite however it was very large with a tiled bathroom with a jacuzzi, a stand up shower, and two sinks. The King bed was very, very comfortable and our son loved the sofa bed. He also liked that we had two TV's so he could watch cartoons while we watched what we wanted.

The lobby is large and pretty with a fireplace and lots of room to eat breakfast. Wonderful smelling and tasting popcorn was served every afternoon. The ice machine was new and functional.

The services or free extras (though I suppose you really are paying for them with the hefty room price) are:

*Free hot breakfast with sausage, eggs and waffles. Also had bagels and cereal as well.
*Free high speed internet in all rooms.
*FREE long distance for one hour every night.
*Free high speed internet in the lobby.
*Though we are not drinkers and didn't particularly care for the evening beverages being served, free beverages are served from 5:30 to 7:00 if that is what you are into.

Furthermore, this hotel has a heated indoor/outdoor pool that is very nice. Also has a hot tub.

Need to eat out? Lone Star Restaurant is adjacent with O'Charley's next to it. Many other eating joints are close by. Why, there's even a Wal-Mart across the road! What more could anyone want?

The hotel is located just off Interstate I-65 and is about 10 miles or so from Hoover where the Barons play. I think the SEC Baseball tournament is to be played there in 2007.

For the business traveler (Wachovia is withing walking distance), there was a Kinko's across the street and the lobby has a decent business area with the aforementioned internet and copying machines.

I tried to come up with a negative about this hotel and I suppose the only thing I can say is that it was unseasonably cold while we were there. Okay, okay, so they can't control the weather. They do a good job with everything else, though.

Well, it just hit me that one elevator was not working the day we left. So there's your con. Anyway, if you need to be in this area, this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Not In New Orleans Anymore!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

We stayed at the Drury Inn as a midpoint on our drive to New Orleans. We have a family with four young children, and the Drury was a great place to call it a night. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived during the daily manager's reception - it was great. Lots of guests were hanging out in the reception area, eating munchies and enjoying free drinks at the bar. Kids could help themselves to juices, popcorn, sodas or milk. The hotel definitely has a clean, good vibe. There is a very nice indoor outdoor pool. The area is safe and newly developed. In walking or very short driving distance is an Outback Steakhouse, Landry's Seafood, Taco Cabana, Books-A-Million (with a coffee bar...the coffee at the Drury is horrible), an Old Navy, and many other stores. A hot breakfast and wireless interent are included in your stay. The hot breakfast includes fresh belgian waffles, fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereals and breads, eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage - there's something for everyone. Our room paid for itself with all of the free food and drink! There is also free internet - but it's not wireless in the rooms. (It is wireless in the business center though.) The rooms are fine. The bathrooms are new, clean, and there is cable television. My only complaint about the hotel are the beds. We slept at the Drury for two different nights - on out way down and on the way back, and both beds were awful. The matresses were new, and had the support of a wet pile of cotton balls. The sheets were raw and scratchy, and the velux blanket was flimsy. Just bring a sleeping bag and your own pillow, and you'll have a great stay at the Birmingham Drury!

• Liked — Clean, convinient, economical choice
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Tips/Secrets — get the government or aaa rate over the phone
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
London, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

My family stumbled upon this hotel by accident. We were in Birmingham for 2 nights for a class reunion. We spent the first night at a different place but it was dirty and disgusting so we checked out early. We had never stayed at a Drury Inn before but the location was good and we were desperate so we decided to give it a try. We LOVED it!! The lobby was huge and beautifully decorated. The room was clean, spacious, and attractive. They offered free popcorn and soft drinks from 3-10pm. Breakfast was included with the room and it was a delicious hot meal, not just stale donuts and juice like some hotels offer. If I had to sum up the hotel in a word it would be "classy." The most amazing part: it was $10 per night cheaper than the dump we stayed in the night before!! I'm already looking forward to our next trip to Birmingham and I will definately stay there again.

• Liked — Beautiful lobby; nice, clean room
  • Disliked — I liked it all
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My family stayed at this Drury Inn in May 2005 and we loved it. This was our first time staying in a Drury Inn and we will be looking forward to staying with them again in our future travels. The staff and service was great. The afternoon happy hour and breakfast were all good. We also appreciated the free long distance, pool area, and the very clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham SW? Share your experiences!