“Cool place with great food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 872 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/45/1641255/restaurant/Downtown/El-Barrio-Birmingham
Huntsville, Alabama
“Cool place with great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Got a later night dinner at the bar wtih some friends of mine from Bham. It has a great atmosphere and the server/bartender was very helpful. The Margarita was really good, I also had a Mexican Coke, which is a little sweeter and smoother. The Guacamole was incredible! Very fresh with a lot of avacoda and just enough lime and sour cream which they make there. I had the chille rellano and it was very good and all vegetarian, but it didn't taste vegetarian at all.

I had a bite of my friend's pork sandwich and it was really good. Crispy outside meat with some sweet lime sauce.

I also had Tres Laches cake with strawberries and a chocolate chipolte pudding and both were amazing.

Will definitely be back when I am in Bham! The waitress told us about the weekend brunch and it sounded really good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Somerset, Kentucky
“Hipster Location with Overpriced Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Yes, as some reviews have stated the décor is interesting, but that is about the best thing I can say about the restaurant. The staff had no personality and service was slow.

Prices were high for what was served but what made it even worse was the fact that there wasn't even any complimentary chips and salsa. Really, now.....At those prices, come on! The restaurant could afford a small cup of salsa and chips to go to each table.

To even get a barely drinkable margarita you had to pay $9....and it still didn't have the best tequila in it. The salad I had was tasty; the quesadillas average at best. Save your money and go to Sol Y Luna. Much, much better than this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Arequipa, Peru
“Fresh, tasty food, and great margaritas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Worth the wait! Every time I am in Birmingham this is one of the restaurants I must eat at!
Homemade chips and salsa, fresh ingredients, and the best margarita I have ever had.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“Fun atmosphere and fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My fiance and I went on a Saturday night to try out for dinner because all of the great reviews we've heard. It definitely lived up to our expectations!
We heard that there could be a wait, so arrived a little before 6:00. All of the tables were already full, so we opted not to wait and sit at the bar to eat. The service was great! The bartenders took time to answer our questions about the dinner menu and even made my fiance a special order jalapeno margarita. We both had the shrimp quesadillas, which we loved. The quesadillas were loaded with shrimp. It was also served with a delicious dipping sauce and salad. It was all very fresh tasting and not greasy at all. We were very satisfied and will be back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, nice atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Tried the crispy chicken and was not disappointed. Good Micro brews and $5 margaritas on special. Not used to paying for chips an salsa, but the it was homemade and tasty. Definitely a go-back place.

• Visited April 2013