“Family Reunion” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
chicago,il
“Family Reunion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

The hotel is in a great location situated right in a good shopping/dining area, the facility is new and nicely appointed, some nice perks, such as coffee and cookies in the lobby, fireplace and flat panel TV's.

But several inconveniences occurred that were annoying, not being able to get messages that were left for me, a clogged toilet on the last night, no towels, they forgot to wash enough so said the front desk. Plus, the plastic keys kept de-magnetizing themselves, and we had to get new ones at least 4 times. The rooms are nice with microwave ovens and refrigerators, but the beds are not comfortable and neither are the pillows. The staff was polite and accommodating.

But, even with those annoyances I would stay there again and recommend this location to anyone that reads this.

• Stayed May 2010

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I agree with the positive and comprehensive reviews that have recently been written. The hotel is conveniently located, very clean, and the staff was great. From the moment we walked in, the staff was attentive to our needs and never hesitated to provide helpful information or a quick response to our requests. The breakfast buffet was part of our package and it fresh and tasty. I will stay at this hotel again when I am in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lone Wolf, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Stayed here just as a weekend getaway with my 9 yr old son. Im a single mom so I always look for safe and clean places. Loved it here. Staff was very helpful. Everything was well lit outside (something i always look for). The pool was inside so my son got to swim all he wanted. The staff was very friendly about giving me directions and suggesting places for us to go eat. The resturant at the hotel was perfect but we just wanted to get out a bit. Great place to stay for all reasons, alone, with family, or business. I will stay here again next time in Birmingham. Thanks !!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Hot Springs, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Every hotel should provide a clean room with a comfortable bed and bathroom. Those are the basics. Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham on Lakeshore Drive throws in a good dose of extras: free high-speed Internet with a comfortable chair, decent coffee, nice bathroom amenities. The staff on duty this weekend - Eric, Brandy and Leona - made our stay here exceptional. When we couldn't get the business center printer to work, they printed our project on their office computer. When we ran out of coffee, they showed us where to get more. When we neeed snacks, they showed us a variety from which to choose in the hotel pantry. Breakfast at the in-house restaurant, which was included in the price of our room, was a great value - particularly because the selection of healthful items on the buffet. This hotel is a great representative of the chain. The staff made us feel like family and earned our respect for their attentiveness and helpful attitudes.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I stay at the Hilton Garden Inn chain so that I can be assured of the same experience no matter where I stay. That has worked for me for 5 years until I stayed at the HGI Birmingham, AL. This hotel smelled, for lack of a better way to describe it, like sweaty feet. The bathroom was full of mildew and the walls were thinner than paper. The sheets were also stained with some kind of black soot. I could hear people all night shooting off fireworks in the shopping center across the street; maybe that's where the soot came from.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
fayetteville, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We arrived on a Sunday. The check in was quick. The room nice and clean. Breakfast was plentiful with a lot of choices. The staff was friendly too.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

Plusses:
* Bright, clean place
* Friendly, helpful staff
* Has all a business traveler needs, especially an easy to access wi-fi network
* Convenient location to Birmingham without paying the downtown rates
* I've stayed at other HGI's and this does the name proud.
* Plentiful breakfast
* Bright, comfortable dining area

Small stuff (not to be sweated):
* My room didn't adapt to the temperature changes I attempted. It made the room too warm at night for my particular liking. I ultimately turned off the system
* Like diva009, I saw one ant, although it was tiny, and didn't concern me. It was in my bathroom, and no where near anything where it would cause a problem
* USA Today was delivered to several guest's doors, just not mine. Not a problem, since they were plentiful at the front desk.

Overall, a place I will stay again. Made me as comfortable as a business hotel can.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive? Share your experiences!