“not the best...not the worst” 3 of 5 stars

Sun Suites Of Birmingham
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   424 Commons Dr, Birmingham, AL 35209   |
Ranked #62 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Greenfield, Indiana
“not the best...not the worst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

I stayed here for four nights while on business. The room I had was adequate. Had stove and fridge, air conditioner worked well, and the bed was comfortable. I read reviews on this hotel and the person talked about fights in the parking lot at night. I saw no sign of this. At night, some workers staying here would sit in the lot and enjoy a few beers, but that is their right to do so. If back in the area, I probably would not choose this place, but if my company booked it again I would stay here.

Deborah on the front desk when I arrived was very nice (and helpful) KUDOS

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Couples
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

I travel alot for work and stay at alot of hotels. This isnt the worst but its definitely a strong candidate. First, location location location! Right next to a sewage treatment plant that at times turns the entire area outhouse scented dreamland. This really adds the the crackden'esk ambiance!
My girlfriend even found a crack rock in the bed, nice touch! (My guess is, it was meant to be something like a mint on the pillow)
Add in the fact that im not entirely sure if anyone actually works here...every so often you see a person who appears to have access to the office from 9am-11am but this is the only evidence of possible employees I have found. This is only an issue when your key doesn't work or the fire alarm is tripped for a good hour or so.
The nightlife is exciting! You can always find a party or watch ameture boxing in the patking lot! (Fight night usually on weekends. Varies weekly)
All in all I've gotta say, is this has gotta be, hands down, the FANCIEST halfway home in Birmingham!!!

• Stayed May 2014
sunsuitesbirmingham, General Manager at Sun Suites Of Birmingham, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. First, I would like to apologize for any negative experience that you had while staying at our property. We are currently under new management and are making renovations to our property. These renovations include new carpet and wood flooring, flat panel televisions, and a new room paint scheme. We would love to have the chance to win back your business and to show you our new rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly with anything that I could assist you with.

Regards,
Paul F
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

So let's do some comparing. Sunsuites and In Town Suites located down the street from each other in Birmingham both cost the exact the same amount to stay for a week. Yes, Sunsuites is not perfect. I have been here a month while my husband and I wait on remodeling to be finished in our new home and there have been a couple hiccups. The fire alarm has gone off twice for no reason and there is some type of water treatment facility hidden across the street that has produced a slight smell two times in the last month. Other than those minor things my room was is good condition at Sunsuites and the staff was incredibly helpful and kind. Now let's compare that to the one week that we accidentally stayed at In Town Suites right down the road and for the same price. The management was rude and indifferent. The room was nasty. The carpet was worn and had some weird dry white powder that would not come up. There were roaches before I even put food in the kitchenette. The majority of other residents spend a lot of time congregating in the parking lot or walking around the buildings and they are usually drunk. At night there were people having sex and/or doing drugs in their cars in the parking lot. Some woman called our room and propositioned her "services" to my husband. Then there's the icing on the cake our last night there when our neighbor brought his subwoofers and speakers up from his car and turned them up loud in his room while people a couple doors down from us got in to a domestic dispute and some girl was cutting herself with a knife in the parking lot and then she threw a flat screen TV down a flight of out door stairs. Like I said all of the above mentioned incidents happened at IN TOWN SUITES. Not Sunsuites.I just can't stress enough that sunsuites is the second cheapest extended stay hotel in the Birmingham area and it is the best you are going to get for that amount of money any where near Birmingham. My recommendation... Save yourself the trouble and stay at Sunsuites if your budget is $225 a week including tax but if you don't want to put up with any problems or trash find a hotel in the bham area that's around 60-70 or more a night. I think the issue with the extended stays is that locals have moved in permanently and don't treat the properties like a hotel unless they just don't know how to act when staying in a hotel. Thanks for reading my rant... I hope this helps some one

• Stayed April 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

My family and I live local and was looking for a place to bunk while closing on our new home. . . From the website and the outside, this place looks decent but it is horrible!!
I have allergy issues and the "nonsmoking" rooms are filled with a smoky scent. The bedding is nasty, stinky, and old. There are cigarette burns EVERYWHERE and on everything.

The worst part is the management. We had an emergency after hours and NO ONE was in the office and they didn't even leave a contact name or number on the door for emergencies. There are children, pets, etc in this place and they leave no information for emergencies after hours.
I will NEVER stay here again.
The good reviews are probably lies or written by the staff.
IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO, PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Poland, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you would like to experience what it is like to live in a tenement or homeless shelter, definitely choose Sun Suites of Birmingham. What the advertising doesn't say is that this hotel is located directly across the street from the sewage plant and the smell wafts hotel-ward day and night. Rooms are poorly maintained (baby bottle found under the bed), mirror was missing, and the purchase and use of several bottles of spray deodorizer was necessary. The small kitchenette was clean, but the place was so unpleasant that there was no desire to eat here. Groups of "guests" congregate in the parking lot drinking and littering the grounds with refuse. Walls are paper thin and the more permanent next door neighbors kept us awake every night. I don't need fancy lodgings on a business trip, but I sure appreciate a place that is at least decent!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was by far one of the worst hotels ever. There is a sewage plant like 50 ft across the street. I didn't know this when booking for 5 days at $79 a night. I smelled something outside and didn't mind the smell being outside. After checking in and prepaying 5 days the room was ok. Old fashioned but dingy also. I said I can deal with this I layed in bed by air conditioning and was being awakened by myself and my daughter gagging and throwing up from awful smell. I smelled this all night and couldn't take it so I called front desk and complained. I pretty much had to beg for a refund and only received $157. It was so awful I didn't care as long as I had enough to go return to extended stay America across the street which was booked so I went all the way to 280. Thank God cause the room was worth the drive. I wouldn't stay at sun suites again if it was free or my life depended on it. I'd say kill me now literally. Please don't make this mistake. I now know why the parking lot was empty.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been staying at the SunSuites of Birmingham for several weeks now, and i am not only thankful to God for always providing, but also for the people He has put in my path during my stay here. Miss Tina is wonderful, and also, Miss Stephanie, Miss Deborah, & Miss Sonia have been so gracious. For all intensive purposes, this has been my temporary home, and i have truly been made to feel that way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sun Suites Of Birmingham? Share your experiences!