“Ok stay, but the place was loud.” 3 of 5 stars

Free Hot Breakfast & Wifi
Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Ok stay, but the place was loud.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The staff is very friendly and the property is clean, but I found it a little hard to get a good night's sleep here. The AC unit in the room was old and very loud. Our neighbors were pretty loud too. Lots of kids running around, loud tv, etc. The property is also starting to show its age and needs a bit of a face lift too. It's not a bad property but I would probably try some where else the next time. Best upside is the location. Close to great shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham SE, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
We always appreciate feedback from our guests. The AC should not be loud and we apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you continue to choose Drury for your lodging needs.
Stephanie West

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
alexandria,va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the last weekend in October. We usually stay here because they are pet friendly. First of all the staff were helpful, friendly and the breakfast was top-notch. The property however needs a face lift inside and out. The rooms were clean and spacious but the furniture needs updating and the carpets replaced. The beds were comfortable but linens need to be replaced along with the towels. The green space outside needs to be maintained. The trash needs to be removed every morning...The room we stayed in was above the mechanical room for the jacuzzi and the pump motor was noisy. The room was convenient when I had to take my dog out but I wish the front desk would have told me about the noise. All in all a good hotel but I might check elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Be wary of the noisy rooms above the swimming pool and jacuzzi.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am a little surprised this hotel was rated so highly. While the staff was more than friendly, I had a problem with the set up of the hotel and the general party type crowd staying for the weekend. My room was facing the open atrium type lobby and it was loud. There were a lot of party people staying there- have fun catching the elevator on your way down on Sunday. Overall the rooms are old fashioned. I think there are better choices in Birmingham like the Aloft (see my other review).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham SE, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guests. We did have an unusually large number of families staying for a tournament here in Birmingham that weekend. We strive to provide top notch service and a great value.

At Your Service,
Stephanie West
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have to go to UAB for a Doctor appointment. We chose the Drury Inn because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. If you are going to UAB it is very close just a few miles away. Hotel was very clean, staff also very good. Between the hours of 5:30 and 7 pm they have a spread of food out.The night we were there it was hot dogs, salad, soup, nacho, mac and cheese and chicken fingers. They also have a very good breakfast. We will be going back nest time we are in Birmingham, Al..

Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

First time I've stayed at a Drury Hotel (mostly in the South). Definitely impressed. The atrium lobby extends all the way to the sixth floor. The glassed in elevator off the lobby looks down upon the atrium space. The room was very spacious, very, very clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast had some very healthy choices and the Kick Back Happy Hour from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. is not only soft drinks, beer, wine and mixed drinks but also a full meal. No reason to go out for dinner. Staff were very helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: The area is very quiet and away from heavy traffic. Any room should be just fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

At the price you pay for this hotel you really shouldn't expect miracles. It is on an out of town business park with precisely no facilities - if you want a drink or some dinner then you'd better get in the car.

The hotel is basic but just fine, rooms are huge (we were upgraded to a multi room suite), clean and have all the facilties you might need. Did I mention it's ridiculously cheap?

The hotel had a pool and a gym but sadly due to the short term nature of our stay I didn't get to use either of them - they look nice enough though.

A big thank you must go to the staff, however, who were especially helpful. They made sure a rather expensive item which I stupidly left in the hotel made its way back to me. Top marks for honesty and customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I like the Drury Hotel Chain. I spend my time with them or with Choice Hotels. For this 5 night stay, I chose this Drury because of proximity to where I needed to be in Birmingham. This is one of the hotels that the chain built, so it has the open 4 floors with giant chandelier hanging over the lobby area.

This is the first Drury Hotel I have stayed at that changes up their evening meals. My first night they had meatballs and penne pasta with Marinara sauce. They change up the soups from Broccoli Cheddar to Minestrone and Chili, depending on the day. While this doesn't seem like much, it is a pleasant change.

The hotel is located less than a mile from The Summit Shopping Center, which is a very high end shopping area. It is also about 3 miles from another shopping center.

The hotel is clean and mostly well-maintained. The desk phone in my room doesn't work, and I couldn't retrieve my message, but that was minor. Everything has been updated and it is a nice stay. Their workout room has weights as well as 3 machines. They also have an indoor/outdoor pool.

I will stay here again if I come to Birmingham again.

The only negative I can say about the hotel is that I am not a fan of the pet policy. The people in the room next door had a large dog with a loud bark. When they were gone, the dog barked a lot, and that is annoying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham SE? Share your experiences!