“Sketchy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
McKinney Texas
“Sketchy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This property has all the signs of a poorly managed hotel. Overall, the staff is friendly, but they just lack attention to detail. Also, although it's surrounded by other hotels, you dont get a very safe feeling at this property. There are always people loitering outside the hotel. Getting bath towels/linens replaced was very difficult. The "continental breakfast" is nothing short of abyssmal. For that reason alone, I would not recommend this hotel. There are plenty of decent places within a half mile that you shouldnt have to suffer through the breakfast experience. If you do stay here, requests a room as high up as possible because, although it is a non-smoking property, people (including an employee we discovered) smoke in the bottom stairwell and the smoke wafts up to the rooms. Having said that, I voiced my complaints to management following the stay and they were responsive and said they would address the problems.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors. Cigarette smoke from the ground floor stairwell can be overwhelming
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had a good stay at this location. The lobby staff is very polite. The rooms were clean and pleasant. There are a ton of general food and shopping areas surrounding the area. You are only about 10 minutes away from downtown. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of police and security in the area. Make sure you lock your car doors and take in everything that is valuable.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator to get better sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Orange Beach, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was my first time staying at this property. Overall, my experience was very pleasant. Initially, upon arrival, I was checked in by a nice young lady, I believe Dominica. She was very cordial and iniviting. Once I entered the room, I noticed there was an odd smell in the room...stale even.

I spoke with Dominica and she offered to transfer me to another room; however, I was already settled in and did not want to move again.

As I began to unpack some of my belongings, I decided to take a shower. I happen to look at the shower curtain and there was mildew on it. Again, I notified the attendant and she profusely apologized.

The GM, who I believe is Angie asked how I enjoyed my stay...I began to tell her the issues that arose. She then went above and beyond to rectify the situation.

This hotel operates in a team manner and is very efficient at their jobs. I also want to mention Helen was a very nice attendant as well.

I will stay at this property again...especially if the same workers are still around.

Thank you for being so accommodating!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Everytime I visit this hotel I enjoy my stay. everyone speaks. housekeepers go out of there way to make sure your stay is the best I love it there an I will be back this was my third visit...I also referred friends and family to visit..

• Stayed January 2014
Cleveland, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This old and worn out property is hardly worth carrying the Marriott flag. It began well enough. The desk staff was courteous, and helpful, but once they pointed me to the room, the problems began. This property is an extended stay, so the longer staying inhabitants are far more likely to wring the life out of the rooms. Extended stays are like rental cars. People beat the places to death because they can. My room had a faulty thermostat, which caused the room to be about 80 degrees until I adjusted the window AC unit. The outside temperature was 17 degrees because of the arctic blast, but ultimately, I ended up setting the AC at 61 degrees with the fan on "constant" to get it to be a comfortable 70'ish. As is their practice at this property, the front desk called to make sure all was well, but when I told them about the AC, she had no earthly idea what to do, and offered no help. The furniture is worn out, my bedside lamp had a burned out bulb, the bathroom was illuminated by what appeared to be a 5watt bulb, which gave the tiny bathroom the feel of a solitary confinement cell. With dim light comes mold, and the tub surround had plenty of it, especially where the drywall was eaten away from years of unabated moisture. The shower curtain fixture failed when I slid the curtain, and I ended up re-threading it back on the rod. This particular issue didn't just happen, based on the damage, it has been ignored for a while. I was going to stay 2 nights, but with that many issues, I'll go find another property.

Room Tip: Find another property to stay. This is not Marriott's finest, by far.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Travelled all day with 2 yr old and my mother on icy roads and this place was great to stay! Accommodated a room change (love the separate bedrooms suite) with a smile and we are forever grateful for the great service! Included breakfast was yummy with plenty of choices (clean and organized)and had us on our way well rested and well fed.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Canton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of Marriott properties but none like this. The room was old and very worn. the bath tub had hair in it when we checked in, couch and chair really worn, carpet tired old and smelled. two of the pillows in this room had blood spots on them. it was just gross.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!