“Perfect Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB

You added Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Enterprise, Alabama
“Perfect Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My mother had an appointment at Kirklin Clinic. Based on location and reviews we chose this hotel. I am so glad we did. We got the senior discount online. The only drawback is that the rooms do not have the option of two beds. You can, however, get a room with a king bed and a sleeper sofa.

Check-in was a breeze, with very friendly staff. Parking was convenient, and the breakfast was decent. The breakfast staff were steadily working and keeping the area clean. Breakfast consisted of pastries, sausage patties, eggs, potatoes, yogurt, cereal, etc. The bed was also comfy and the water pressure was amazing. There was a loud motor or fan running - on and off - during the night. I sleep with a sound machine, so once I got used to the sound it didn't bother me. It may bother someone else, though, so you might want to check with the desk about this when checking in. Our room faced the parking lot (315). On the upside, I think the ambulance sounds were less due to this location. The room was not totally dark due to the street lights.

I must say that every Residence Inn I have stayed at (here, Mobile, Franklin) have all been very clean. This room was no exception. As I have mentioned in other reviews, I always "re-clean" my rooms before I take one thing off the cart. In this room the only opportunity I saw for improvement was dusting of lamp shades and the bathroom floor. Still, the rooms were VERY clean and I felt assured that I was staying in a top notch location.

I like these rooms because of the living room area, kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator. We will absolutely be staying at this hotel in the future. If you are traveling to UAB for any reason this hotel is a no-brainer to me. Located blocks from Five Points, UAB, and Kirklin Clinic it is an excellent location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Karen S, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Maryville, TN, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed here to visit long term patient in UAB hospital. Very convenient for that, only about a 3 block walk. Better than paying for very crowded parking garage at the hospital. Shared a 2 bedroom suite, which has a common area with kitchen and living room. Very good facility for that type of visit.

Staff was extremely courteous, beds were very comfortable and room amenities were great. Breakfast was rather limited, repetitious and pretty mundane, but with a kitchen in our suite that was not really a problem.

Room Tip: Avoid room on 20th street side if possible ... considerable traffic noise from a very busy street.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
US Navy Afloat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Participated in the 2014 Merecedes Half Marathon, and my hotel property selection was perfect. Hotel is located at 5-points (which is a dining/nightlife area of downtown Birmingham).....which was a very short walking distance from the Hotel (on weekends there is nothing else open in the actual "downtown" area so while the other hotels might be a bit closer to the race start/finish, there is nothing to do on Sat and Sun near those hotels).

ROOMS: Typical RI layout - very nice exterior and interior. All appliances were brand new and worked perfectly. Internet was ample and free.

BREAKFAST: Typical RI (nothing spectacular)...but the hotel was kind enough to serve breakfast on Race Day Sunday at 5:30am - which the runners definately appreciated.

PARKING: Park on the street (if staying from 6pm Fri to 8am Mon.....no charge for on street parking during those timeframes).

RACE START/FINISH: The race start/finish is a 0.93 mile walk from the property (but if you are racing 13.1 or 26.2, then that little warm-up walk ain't nothing).

Would definately recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Florence, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

You know when you walk into the lobby and are greeted by a vacuum cleaner, commotion, and a foul smell, there's a problem. The desk clerk complained about things not being in the computer during the entire check in process. I have hearing problems and the vacuum, noisy guests, a complaining guest, all combined to create frustration for me and my husband. When we arrived at our king suite, the first thing I noticed was no fireplace. This was a romantic getaway for us and I specifically booked this suite because the fireplace was listed in the room amenities. I even asked the reservation clerk when I booked the room. I called the front desk and was told not all king suites have fireplaces. I told her I reserved a room with a fireplace. She replied that the previous nights guest decided to stay over. I tried to call the corporate number and was put on an interminable wait. I finally hung up with no satisfaction.
The suite is very clean, the bed comfortable, the shower heavenly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Karen S, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding our rooms being very clean, the bed comfortable and the shower heavenly. We strive every day to make our guests comfortable in our hotel. I apologize that you had some service issues when you were here, and I assure you we will addressig these issues with our staff. Thank you again for staying with us.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Excellent hotel that is close to UAB medical center. The hotel and the rooms are spotless and the employees are very nice. I'm not a fan of the bed, but that's simply a personal preference.

The breakfast and evening receptions are done very well and there is a small but nice workout room to burn the food off.

Parking is available at the hotel at $10 per day (If I remember correctly) but you can always cab it from the airport for ~$20 total.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.
jhth1234
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past year. The staff has been friendly and helpful. The rooms are nice and clean. The parking could be a little better but it is adequate. The location is good to UAB and 5 points.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us!
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

During a recent unexpected snow storm in Alabama, this hotel let me and my 8 yr old daughter stay here in the lobby, since there were no rooms available. There were many of us in the same situation since the roads were not passable to drive home. We only lived 8 miles from there. There were about 30-35 people that stayed overnight in the lobby. The hotel staff was very nice, offering us pillows, blankets, hot meals, crayons and coloring book, and anything we need. The lobby was very nice, with a fireplace, and plenty of seating. The bathrooms were very clean. I would stay here and pay anytime!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Susan, we were glad to be of assistance during the snow storm. We enjoyed having you and your daughter at our hotel!

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB? Share your experiences!