“Below my expectations, but adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #56 of 82 Hotels in Birmingham
“Below my expectations, but adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The desk personnel were professional and handled their job adequately. Upon arriving in our room, we found a soiled wash cloth in a corner near the entrance and the bathroom smelled of cigarette smoke (a non smoking room). The carpet had tiny pieces of chain and glitter and appeared not to have been vacuumed. The TV worked properly and the beds were comfortable. It was chilly so we turned on the heat. It smelled like something was burning but warmed the room. For awhile. Then it stopped heating. Fortunately the blankets kept us warm. The breakfast buffet left much to be desired. Fruit flies in the bread/bagel box and cereal canisters empty. Fortunately I like yogurt, which held me over until we made it to chik fila for my daughter to get something to eat. It was a perfect location for us and there is a great thrift store nearby and lots of shopping and restaurants. Not sure if I would stay there again though.

• Stayed January 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Auburn, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We've stayed at the hotel in the past because the other Choice Hotels property off Grants Mill is atrocious. The price is about right for the hotel and the room and bed were decent. The side entry door lock was broken and that was a concern. Never eat breakfast here, so can't comment on that. Registration was easy, helpful, and courteous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed on cross country trip having just picked up my two dogs in addition to the one I already had with me. Chose this hotel as it was pet friendly ($20 per pet...ouch) and near the airport as I was retrieving my husband there for the remainder of my drive. The room felt so damp but I initially attributed it to the humidity in AL. After going out for food and gas, I returned and kicked off my sandals. The floor felt damp all over. I went to the front desk becuase I thought that the water heater (the manager said it was being worked on) which seemed to by outside my room (repairman there) may have popped. He came back to the room with me and explained that the carpets had just been shampooed that day and that it wasn't really wet, just seemed that way. He offered to move me to one of the other pet friendly rooms but they had all been shampooed and I did not see the point. I decided to keep my room and he offered to remove the pet fee which I thought was a very nice gesture. The bed was comfortable and the morning breakfast was nice. So, despite the fact that the room and carpet felt damp, it was still a good stay. I realize things sometimes happen and the management did make it fair so I am happy with the deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We chose this Comfort Inn for its location--close to the family homestead for a family reunion. We were leery of the other reviews of it not being clean, but in our experience, it was clean. but not without some shortcomings.

When we arrived there was a mop and bucket in the middle of the lobby for no discernible reason--a bad first impression. But the room was nice--we weren't expectiong Hampton Inn class here and it was satisfactory. It was adequately cleaned the second day except the trash can wasn't emptied. Bed and bathroom both clean.

Liked the free Wall Street Journal newspapers and the free breakfast.

But desk staff needed to be more professional---when we checked out, both were outside taking a smoke break, leaving the desk unattended--not good.

Overall, we'd stay there again, given its location and proce. But one bad stay here next time would make us consider the venerable old Birmingham Motel around the corner as an alternative. I hope the competition will keep this Comfort Inn on its toes!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms were very convenient.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bartow, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed on May 13 for one night, choosing the location for the pet friendly nature. The location is good and there are places to eat nearby. The room was not cleaned as well as expected, especially the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the TV worked fine. Breakfast was adequate, average for Comfort Inn. The A/C was set to 68, a little cold for our taste.
Not the best stay but not the worst either.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaunakakai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I've stayed at this Comfort Inn before many times since 2005. I never had a problem until this visit.
I stayed there 5 nights. When I returned to my room the first night at 8PM after leaving the room at 6AM the room had not been made up. Neither had 3 of my colleagues rooms. I went downstairs to get fresh towels and was told the housekeeper had just "missed our rooms."
The last night I was there I again left the room at 6AM and returned at 930PM. The bed was made this time but the dirty towels were still in the bathroom and there was actually more trash in the waste paper baskets than when I left. Again I was told as the hotel was "full" she just didn't get around to it. She also left the A/C on full blast when she made the bed. It was so cold in the room I had to wear my coat to bed!
I am Diamond Status with Choice Hotels and this is unacceptable. I'll stay at the Hampton Inn next time I'm in Birmingham.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012 via mobile

Great value- we enjoyed the suite with separated living/bedroom, big bathroom and kitchenette, plus pet friendly. Worked perfect for us! Nice and helpful service, too. Would recommend, for sure.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Comfort Inn Airport? Share your experiences!