“A great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sandestin, Florida
“A great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at your suites Aug, 15th, and 16th,. We were there for a medical appointment at the Kirklin clinic. We found the hotel very clean and well furnished. The staff at the welcome desk were very helpful and efficient. All the employees were cheerful and friendly. Many going out of their way to make us feel welcome. The comp, breakfast was was impressive and more than expected. The suites were large and well appointed. We used the shuttle bus to get to the medical clinic and back to the hotel. Again, the shuttle service was prompt and efficient with a very helpful driver. We enjoyed our stay and plan on returning next week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
creativeingenuity, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
To our Tripadvisor Nation and Hospital travelers:
Our staff has been consistently trained on taking care of all of our guests and strives to ensure comfort, safety, convenience, and customer care. We will do whatever it takes to make sure that when you here in Birmingham whether it is for business travel, personal travel, or medical purposes. We know that often times our guests are here during rough times and we will make sure to do our part to help make your stay more enjoyable, pleasant, and peaceful.

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My team and I travel to Birmingham quite frequently and stayed at the Springhill a few times. During the course of that time, I found hair in my food several times, hairs in the shower (not mine), I was double charged for items I ordered, room service took over 1.5 hours, and the customer service is FAR worse than any I've seen at any hotel in the country. One of the employees blatenly rolled his eyes in my face and was incredibly rude, and actually thrust a hairdryer at me very forcefully after I had to request one four times. Their amenities in the room (such as hair dryers, irons, etc.) don't work, and they make no efforts to replace or fix these items. I reached out to the the manager on duty regarding the my experiences, who referred me to the General Manager. I've sent 2 emails to the GM and also spoke with a sales director, none of which seem to mind that their employees are blatenly treating their paying customers with up most disrespect. I cannot emphasize enough how terrible the employees at this hotel are. I could write a five page review about every thing bad about this hotel. They clearly don't understand that they are in the hospitality industry. Our team not only is discontinuing our business with Springhill @ UAB, but with Marriott in general after this behavior and service has been enabled to continue.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Usually I have a good stay at a Marriott but not this time. First I was there for four days and one of two elevators was out of service the entire time. That left one elevator for guests AND staff so the mornings I had to wait multiple times to get to the lobby. On the third day we left the room at 12 noon and the maids did not clean our room! When I brought this to the attention of the front desk they were not that concerned. The breakfast was good I will give them that but I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
creativeingenuity, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Kearse thank you for taking time out of your day to review our hotel and tell everyone of your experience with us. Unfortunately Last week we did have an elevator issue and 1 of our 2 elevators was down waiting on a part for 6 days and this did cause headaches for our guests and for that we are truly apologetic. It is never convenient when anything breaks but it’s even more frustrating when the broken item is used daily hundreds of times! Fortunately our elevators are new and should not be prone to breaking down often. We hope that your experience with our elevator and staff will not hinder you from coming again and feasting on our amazing breakfast buffet and giving us the opportunity to serve you again.

Chris Nelson and the SpringHill Suites Staff
north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I came here in early July with a bus and the Staff was helpful to me on parking the bus and luckily I was able to park it on the street during the weekend. This is a fairly new property. I was in a king suite and it was nice and well laid out with a sectional couch in LR area.. The partial shower door is a very weird design to me. Noticed there was no bath tub in the bathroom.
The breakfast bar has great oatmeal and grits there. Had multiple groups there and the breakfast bar was jammed packed. I liked the bar set up in the lobby and you can have a salad and an appetizer there also.
Indoor pool was great on a 100 degree day. Will recommend this hotel any day for any one needing a hotel in downtown Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Penguinlimo,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for letting the TripAdvisor nation know about our great rooms, and amenities and while all of our King rooms have the half glass shower wall and no bath tub, all of our Double rooms feature a sit down tub and Shower head. So for any guest that would prefer to have a tub the Double room may be the best option. Thank you again for your time and your bus is welcome here anytime! See you again soon!

Workington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

lovely hotel staff very friendly,rooms great with mini kitchen,close to (six blocks ) uab area with bars and resturaunts.only downside breakfast was not topped up as people ate it,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be above reproach, however we did not leave you with a WOW experience and our Breakfast staff fell short. We have addressed this issue in staff meeting and have tweaked our system to ensure a fully stocked breakfast at all times (even when we are busy). I apologize for the shortfall you had on your last stay but look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Thanks you for your review,

Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Five night business stay and disappointed I could not afford the Courtyard immediately adjacent to UAB Hospital. SpringHill provided a suite at a very reasonable rate and now I am happy I could not stay at the Courtyard. I had a large room with a separate sitting area and a work area. The rooms have a few unusual features but nothing that detracts from comfort or functionality. Examples include the recessed closet and the shower which does not have a complete door. Probably the main reason I would go for excellent on this property is that the promised breakfast at 6:30 was not ready until 6:45 or later (the hot food at least). If you are planning on 6:30 for your business meetings this is a disappointment. If the time is not important you are fine. I needed 6:30. Otherwise a pretty good deal. Two blocks from UAB, which is walkable except for the heat and humidity. If I walked I would be sweating before reaching it and would not appear professional. So, unless the weather is comfortable take advantage of that great shuttle and the great courteous drivers. You can also walk to some restaurants and a short drive from 5 points and Highlands Bar and Grill (the best place in the Southeast or further). You can get a view of Vulcan if you walk the right street. On my return to Birmingham I will start my search with this Springhill and hope the prices have not increased.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
creativeingenuity, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Sometrip,
With Marriott having so many different hotel options here in Birmingham you will always be able to find a hotel to suit your needs. In your case it happened to work out to our advantage and you stayed with us. We are a very contemporary and modern hotel chain, we still provide you with all the customer service, and amenities you expect to find in all Marriott’s. We are actually adjusting our Breakfast hours, to ensure that all of our guests enjoy a nice hot breakfast when they want it. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our shuttle and convenient location in Birmingham, we look forward to having you stay with us again and I will make sure we take great care of you. Feel free to call me directly for your next reservation!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed here several times over the last couple of years and my experience has consistently been that it's a pleasant stay in upscale digs at a reasonable value.

My last stay -- over 2 weeks long -- was long enough to expose the rough spots if there were any. But there were none. Not one problem. Everything was top rate.

Atmosphere: The staff set the tone with unparalleled professionalism. Employees and management seem to genuinely enjoy and appreciate the guests. They know that their guests put the bread and butter on their tables. EJ at the front desk is especially wonderful to deal with (I'm so glad to see him year after year). Ebidjan is pleasant and helpful as well. Even the hotel workers (maintenance, housekeeping) greet guests as they pass and, if appropriate, offer help. I ran across Justin (a hotel worker) on my way to get some extra towels and shampoo and he seemed genuinely happy to take care of the matter on the spot -- and did very rapidly. A typical reaction from Justin, and others who work here as well.

Management: Continuity in the management guarantees that guests will consistently receive great service. Chanile was especially helpful with my reservations and went an extra mile in helping me resolve a question with my Marriott points.

Rooms: Are extra large, extra clean, and well stocked. Each has a small kitchen area with a microwave and a refrigerator.

TVs: Are widescreen flat TVs. We found a free family movie channel that was lots of fun to watch.

Parking: There is plenty of convenient parking next door in the garage, although parking is an additional charge. The garage has cameras and I've felt safe parking there at night.

Restaurant/Bar: A+ in hospitality. Coffee is well stocked (including a tap for "extra dark" yea!) all the way to noon. Breakfast is good. Ordering from the menu at the small bar in the lobby is surprisingly great! We loved the food and the consistently positive attitudes of the people working there.

In short, if you are looking for a downtown hotel in Birmingham, this is the best choice. Been there. Done that. Hope to do it again.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are roomy. I've stayed in several and they were each nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lavida,

You have provided such a great review for our hotel and it brings a smile to my face to know that we are consistently providing superior customer care, and an exceptional product. We work hard in all areas of the hotel from the bar tender to the front desk and housekeeping. We want to make sure that every guest experiences a breath of FRESH AIR, and consistently experiences top notch amenities and service whether found in our Paul Mitchell bathroom collection, or in our Starbucks coffee. We want to pay attention to detail so that all of our guests will want to come back to Birmingham.

Thank you for your continued loyalty!

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Staff!

Been to SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB? Share your experiences!