“OK for the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
Daphne, Alabama
“OK for the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the airport. Only one night. The price was really, really low. The hotel is dated and has seen better days. The door to the room was old and worn. The room was clean and comfortable and very quiet. The staff was friendly and efficient. Our friends that live in Birmingham were aghast that we stayed in this part of town, evidently it is not a good area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Alabaster, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel is across the interstate from the hotel where the murders took place during a robbery several years ago on Thanksgiving Day. I can't imagine how you can make such a bold statement, lie, about someone's business. The robbery was at Days Inn, it is now America's Best Value Inn. The Clarion is clean, comfortable and a great value. The airport shuttle is the best thing in town.

Room Tip: their park and fly program is great. the convenience to the airport makes it a great value. you ca...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BLOOMINGTON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here as a free rewards night and will never stay here again. First of all as we were checking in there was an upset customer at the front desk complaining about ants in his room and they didn't seem to want to do anything about it. Our room had a musky smell to it and the air conditioner cover fell off in the middle of the night. I turned the light on to see what happened and I could see spider webs and the parking lot below. The carpet was nasty and smelled. I would never stay here again free or not. Front desk was so slow at check out, that I left without a receipt or I would have been late for work.

Room Tip: Do not stay here or you will regret it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here overnite. The welcome was wonderful, room very clean. The breakfast was outstanding . The only bad comment is the plates for the hot food were not hot so when you put the hot food on, the food was instantly cold. Did mention it to the waitress and she was going to pass it along.

Room Tip: They did say at the front desk they will be upgrading the pillows and blankets, they have only been...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hotel had me worried. However, I found the lobby and staff to be invited. The hotel room and bath were slightly dated but clean. Only problem was noise from a party two doors down. I should have called to complain but I didn't. Airport shuttle was very convenient and efficient. Would recommend for anyone with an early flight.

• Stayed November 2012
Belleville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I decided to stay here based upon its proximity to the airport and the online reviews I checked prior to booking. Big mistake. This hotel was disappointing in every way. The lobby was nice upon entering, but that first impression was annulled immediately following my sub par greeting at check-in. I truly felt like I was an inconvenience to the clerk for disturbing his time and interrupting his self consumed cell phone business. Got to my room, and the smoke detector was beeping as the battery was dead. This same incessant beeping could be heard down the hall from one if not two more rooms. I called for service, and it took them 3 hours to bring me a new battery. I got so mad, I pulled it off the wall and took it apart myself before the continuous beeping drove me crazy. My bed cover was dirty, the shower curtain bar was hanging off the wall by a single questionable screw, the toilet paper holder was broken, the room was old, dated, dirty and not at all what I had been expecting from a Clarion hotel. Never again will I visit here. Oh...and the airport shuttle...what a joke. I asked the clerk in the morning for a ride to the airport and I was told that the driver may or may not show up...but that if he did, I could get a ride. Really? Might show up? Yes, she said...they've been having problems with their "help". I called a cab rather than waiting to see if he Might show up. ridiculous.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our recent stay at this hotel (4 nights) was not a good experience. We changed rooms twice, trying to find one that the toilet seat wasn't broken and about to fall off and a shower curtain rod that wasn't about to fall down. Imagine trying to take a shower and the curtain keeps moving to the center of the rod. We had to use the towels to mop up the water on the floor after each shower! No wonder the ceilings are patched and about to fall down in the bathrooms!

The worst though was the fact that the maid stole some of our food/snacks that we had brought. Another lady staying there said some of her makeup was stolen from the bathroom vanity. We reported this to the front desk, but their reply was "Sorry about that". We kept anything valuable with us or in our car.

Also ordered a burger and fries from the little mexican restaurant. Took one bite and knew immediately the meat was spoiled. They wouldn't give me a refund, only let me order something else that was the same price.
Needless to say, we won't be staying here again. We would have moved to a different hotel, but it was race weekend at Talladega and this was not an option.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!