“Diamond in the rough” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #53 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
“Diamond in the rough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hotel had me worried. However, I found the lobby and staff to be invited. The hotel room and bath were slightly dated but clean. Only problem was noise from a party two doors down. I should have called to complain but I didn't. Airport shuttle was very convenient and efficient. Would recommend for anyone with an early flight.

• Stayed November 2012

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Belleville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I decided to stay here based upon its proximity to the airport and the online reviews I checked prior to booking. Big mistake. This hotel was disappointing in every way. The lobby was nice upon entering, but that first impression was annulled immediately following my sub par greeting at check-in. I truly felt like I was an inconvenience to the clerk for disturbing his time and interrupting his self consumed cell phone business. Got to my room, and the smoke detector was beeping as the battery was dead. This same incessant beeping could be heard down the hall from one if not two more rooms. I called for service, and it took them 3 hours to bring me a new battery. I got so mad, I pulled it off the wall and took it apart myself before the continuous beeping drove me crazy. My bed cover was dirty, the shower curtain bar was hanging off the wall by a single questionable screw, the toilet paper holder was broken, the room was old, dated, dirty and not at all what I had been expecting from a Clarion hotel. Never again will I visit here. Oh...and the airport shuttle...what a joke. I asked the clerk in the morning for a ride to the airport and I was told that the driver may or may not show up...but that if he did, I could get a ride. Really? Might show up? Yes, she said...they've been having problems with their "help". I called a cab rather than waiting to see if he Might show up. ridiculous.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our recent stay at this hotel (4 nights) was not a good experience. We changed rooms twice, trying to find one that the toilet seat wasn't broken and about to fall off and a shower curtain rod that wasn't about to fall down. Imagine trying to take a shower and the curtain keeps moving to the center of the rod. We had to use the towels to mop up the water on the floor after each shower! No wonder the ceilings are patched and about to fall down in the bathrooms!

The worst though was the fact that the maid stole some of our food/snacks that we had brought. Another lady staying there said some of her makeup was stolen from the bathroom vanity. We reported this to the front desk, but their reply was "Sorry about that". We kept anything valuable with us or in our car.

Also ordered a burger and fries from the little mexican restaurant. Took one bite and knew immediately the meat was spoiled. They wouldn't give me a refund, only let me order something else that was the same price.
Needless to say, we won't be staying here again. We would have moved to a different hotel, but it was race weekend at Talladega and this was not an option.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellenwood, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel, Birmingham, AL airport. It was very convenient to the Birmingham Airport. The hotel staff was nice, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The elevators were a bit outdated, but it worked fine. If I have to go Birmingham again, I would definitely stay at this hotel. The price was very reasonable too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had to stay overnight in Birmingham, so we booked this hotel because if was near BHM Airport. We came in late, but the shuttle van was prompt in picking us up. The hotel was a Mexican restaurant and they accommodated us, even though it was closing time when we arrived. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. The continental breakfast was cold and left a lot to be desired, but overall, and nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bessemer, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The airport parking service offered at Clarion is excellent! The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I have never used their service before until last week. I would use them again next time I go out of town and would highly recommend them to my family members and friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

.Stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to Birmingham. We found it very well kept, clean and the staff was very accommodating. Its location is very convenient to the airport with easy access to I 20. Price was very reasonable for the amenities available. Bar and restaurant are on site. We will definitely use this hotel on future trips to Birmingham.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!