“A very nice museum” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 30 Attractions in Birmingham
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This three-story museum houses an eclectic selection of art, including Wedgewood pottery, the largest collection of Asian art in the Southeast, Native American and African art, impressionism, contemporary art and American landscapes.
San Antonio, Texas
43 attraction reviews
“A very nice museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a nice place to visit! Very nice exhibits, and well laid out. We spent almost an entire day, and loved it.

Visited December 2012

Northwest Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Refreshing Oasis in the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Birmingham Museum of Art offers one a refreshing oasis in downtown Birmingham. It houses the finest collection of Wedgwood in the United States and the largest outside England.
Open free to the public, its hours are Tues-Sat 10 til 5 and Sunday noon til 5. On-site parking is available--remember to have your parking stub validated before leaving the museum.

The outdoor sculpture garden is a pleasant spot to enjoy a leisurely walk, especially after a lovely lunch at Oscar's at the Museum. Oscar's is open for lunch Tues-Fri 11-2 and a Sunday Brunch on select Sundays. My family enjoyed Easter Brunch with excellent food, impressive presentation and live music--all creating the perfect ambience.

We were visiting from out of state at the invitation of our daughter . We would not hesitate to recommend this as definitely worth a stop while in the Birmingham area.

Visited March 2013
Argo, Alabama, United States
15 attraction reviews
“I love museums!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

HOWEVER, I left this museum feeling violated, harassed and having endured a most unpleasant experience. I could neither focus nor enjoy the exhibits from the distraction of being followed by either bored or poorly trained staff offended when I tried to PAY for admission to a special exhibit. I can not recommend wasting your time here, I not only was forced to impose upon the time of ticket sellers to obtain admission, I left still unaware of what was on exhibit there... As a Birmingham native and former educator....don't waste your time... the distractions will prevent any enjoyment anyway.

Visited May 2012
Toronto, Ontario
20 attraction reviews
“A 'Must-Do' in Birmingham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

So, I'm going to start off with three very impressive offers from the Museum: 1) It's free. There is a suggested donation and I dare anyone to leave without feeling the need to contribute. 2) Parking is validated (Free parking!). 3) The Cafe. They serve from 11am - 2pm. The cafe offers friendly staff, quality food, very reasonable prices, and a more quiet atmosphere.

The Museum itself is well curated. The permanent collection is impressive for a Regional museum. There are not many cities will less than 500,000 that have a comparable offering. The Museum has very extensive collections for its size.

My favourite parts of the Museum: The Sculpture Park (outdoors) - it creates a sense of 'escape' while seeing contemporary pieces; and the American Art. My favourite piece was Albert Bierstadt's 'Looking Down Yosemite Valley'.

I would suggest about 2 - 3 hours of dedicated time to the Museum. You'll find that there's more than enough to fill a morning or afternoon.

I strongly recommend a visit to the Museum. And to the gift shop. Great offerings from local artists.

Visited February 2013
Alberta, Canada
267 attraction reviews
“One of the best art museums in the eastern USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The permanent collection is vast, and of excellent quality. While we were there, they had a travelling Norman Rockwell exhibition. As a NARM member, we had a hard time convincing the lady at the reception desk that I was the equivalent of a BMA member, and so did not have to pay extra to attend this exhibition. In the end, she threw up her hands and gave me the tickets. The restaurant is very good.

Visited December 2012