“WORST HOTEL EVER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn - Bessemer / Birmingham

You added Knights Inn - Bessemer / Birmingham to your Saves list
Knights Inn - Bessemer / Birmingham
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1121 Ninth Avenue SW, I 59 South, Bessemer, AL 35023 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn-Bessemer / Birmingham)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Bessemer
Jacksonville, Florida
“WORST HOTEL EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Traveling on military orders, booked through DOD travel. Arrived at around midnight. I should have turned around as soon as I pulled into the parking lot...no lights, overgrown weeds everywhere, looks abandoned, about 4 cars in the parking lot. Sadly, I did not leave (yet) but went to check in. The door to the lobby was locked. After a few minutes, a young woman let me in. After checking me in, she trimmed the door keys with scissors, apparently they have lock issues? As I'm looking around the lobby, I'm beginning to notice that it is extremely dilapidated. Still, I continue to my room, where the young lady met me to make sure the keys worked. I went in and the air was off, the room had a musty moldy smell. I walked over to the bed and flipped over the comforter and startled a roach that promptly ran under the pillow. "I'm outta here", I said to the roach, and promptly left the room. I walked to the side door of the lobby, passing the clearly abandoned pool, and the doors were locked, secured with a heavy gauge chain and padlock. The young lady again let me in. I checked out and stayed at the Hampton Inn right next door. When I told the front desk at the Hampton where I just left from, he had a good chuckle. Apparently this happens quite a bit.
My advice, do not go here. It is unsafe and unsanitary. After reading some of the reviews that date back to 2011 I find it hard to believe that this hotel is in a state of "transition". It is an abandoned hotel run by someone who is preying on the extremely gullible. It seriously needs to be shut down.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton next door.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Cannot put into words how horrific this place is. Body fluids down the wall, on the bed, beds worn through, absolutely, positively disgusting, horrific and nasty. Sleep in ur car first!seriously... Look at our pics!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is the worst hotel I've ever been in. This place is a mess. Trash all over the place, stains on the walls, ceilings, body fluid stains on the bed, floor. Furniture in disrepair. We booked online, the website said free internet in all rooms. There was no internet. Refrigerator and microwave in rooms. No fridge or microwave. The pool looked like it had been abandoned years ago. The pictures on the website were obviously photoshopped. We could not stay there so we went to the front desk and got the runaround. The owner/manager was there but hid from us. We could see him hiding in the back listening to our conversation with the clerk. We filed complaints with Expedia/AARP but so far they have been worthless in getting us a refund. I've stayed in my share of foreign owned, bring your own toilet paper type places before but this place takes the cake.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lanett, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place is really bad. There were 3 couples in all. We checked one whole wing of this hotel since there wasn't anybody staying in that wing. We finally found 3 rooms that were acceptable .They were supposed to be smoke free,we found butts under the bed,room smelled like a pool room.So much for smoke free.
The pillows in the room that my wife and I took had FOOT prints on the pillowcases. They stunk and were very stained. Phone did not work ,maintance tried to get it to work,but no way would it work. Tv had no remote and no local stations in our room.
The price was different on all three rooms. They were the same rooms in the same wing on the same floor. The price was 20 to 30 dollars different. Non-existent continental breakfast,too. They should change their hoteel amenities!!
The front door in our room had a gap on the bottom 1 inch wide.The door lock worked half the time.
When we got home one of the couples called to say they found bed bugs in their suit case. Now we are all spraying for bed bugs.
For the price and the mess.Not worth it.Supposely Wyndham is taking this over,if so, they should get a whole new staff,from the manager on down. Although,the young woman at the front desk was as helpful as she could be with what she had to work with.
Stay Away from this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Please do not go to the days inn Bessemer it is now called the American best value inn. The hotel rooms smell horrible the bed sheets were mildewed. The carpet was dirty and had stains on them it was cockroaches there I did not stay I left and could not get a refund please the Alabama department of health need to shut that place down ASAP.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have stayed at this motel for one night only on my way down south for at least five years. It is nothing great. It is old and not well-maintained. I have found though that it is OK for one night coming in at 9pm and leaving out at 6am. The price is right and it is quiet.

There are no microwaves or refrigerators but I don't care about that since I only ever stay one night. The sheets and towels appear clean but well used. Since I'm only ever staying one night that does not bother me.

Now I will admit I never see many guests so I do wonder how they stay in business, but neither have I ever seen any loiterers. The lighting isn't the greatest but I have never felt scared to stay there. In addition, I've never seen any roaches or other vermin in the rooms.

I rather like that it is quiet. It beats staying at some the others right on the interstate where it is crowded and noisy. This place is very quiet and easy to get to off the interstate. So when I'm traveling from Northern VA to points south, this is a good area to stop for the night for me.

Mattresses are OK. I can sleep on them which says a lot because I have a high end one at home so I know what is good.

I can understand why some folks might be leery about staying there. As I said, I only stay on average one night per year. I can't say what happens the rest of the year.

Oh one more thing, my daughter left her MP3 player there. I called on the road to ask about it and they found it. Honesty counts a great deal for me. So I put that out there also.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

This is the nastiest hotel I've ever stayed in,there were stains all over the sheets and roaches! the maids should be fired! i stayed here a week and they NEVER came to clean my room or give me towels and the front desk clerk (young black girl) claimed to not have any! i had to actually go to walmart and buy towels! i will never stay here again! you could not pay me to stay here! nasty ghetto hotel! not work 62 dollars!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn - Bessemer / Birmingham? Share your experiences!