After Beijing and Shanghai I continued on to Yangshuo. I requested a pick up at Guilin airport and was met in the terminal by a man who drove me the hour to Yangshuo (USD$50). When I arrived at the Villa my name was written on a welcome board at the front. I was greeted and promptly given a plate of fresh watermelon and cold water. Both came in handy as it was around 90 degrees (33 celsius) with some rough humidity.
The rooms facing the front of the building have an awesome view of a nice portion of the karst peaks. They provide complimentary tea, instant coffee and a hot water maker. The bathroom had stuff I was told not to expect in China. There was a small packet with tooth brush, tooth paste and comb. The towels were clean and the toilet was wrapped with a ribbon marking it as just recently sanitized. The bathroom itself was slightly worn. The room was comfortable and large with dark wood furniture and hard wood floors. They provide indoor and outdoor sandals for each guest.
Regarding location, the place is about 5 miles from Yanghuo city. It is very close to Moon Hill and The Big Banyan tree. Be advised, the Villa is around 300 meters from the main road. The main road is where you'll catch your buses and taxis and find road side food stands. The proximity from the busy main road adds to the charm of the place. It is a complete break from pretty much everything. The morning and evening hours are extremely peaceful. At night you have to strain to hear any sounds at all.
The roof top restaurant serves good food for all meals (have the dumplings for breakfast) and the beverage selection is nice for alcoholic and non. The women who staff the villa speak English and provide very good care and service. They are also quite knowledgable about the area and worthwhile tourist experiences. Bicycle rental is approximately USD$5 per day and they have a nice selection of rugged mountain bikes, which come in handy if you decide to explore the country side. I recommend a full body massage which can be ordered up to your room in 15 minutes and costs USD$20.
I really enjoyed my stay. It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton but it was nice. The women did their best to make sure I was comfortable. I got a gift for showing up and another one when I left. There was a brief power outage due to a bad storm and they apologized by showing up to my room with a platter of local fruit. Those kinds of touches are important and made me feel welcome. If you go, have a pot of ginger tea.
- Also Known As:
- Hidden Dragon Villa Hotel Yangshuo County
- Hidden Dragon Villa Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- elegant Yangshuo hotel with Beautiful Legend, Perfect Location, Elegant Architecture in the style of Ming and Qing Dynasties and Great Roof Garden Dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, Travelocity, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip DaoDao, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Hidden Dragon Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.