“Perfection in the middle of nowhere” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low season promotion
Ranked #1 of 367 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Nottingham
“Perfection in the middle of nowhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Definitely the best value hotel we have ever stayed in.

We stayed for 2 nights in early October when touring China and I really wish we had stayed longer. The hotel is about a mile outside of the town and you are in the middle of nowhere. This is what I expected authentic chins to get like. The staff were FANTASTIC in every way. Nothing was too much trouble. The service was superb , the food was to die for Nd overall I wish we had spent longer here.

We had a great room on the top floor with outstanding views up and down the valley. Oh, and the entire area is outstanding. Very rural very authentic and very friendly. Do the river trip on bamboo rafts and hire a bike.

We can't wait to go back one day. Very highlybrecommended

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CurryChen, Owner at Yangshuo Tea Cozy, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
On behalf of the whole team, thank you very much for your kind words, very glad that you have enjoyed your time here at Tea Cozy, and we always try our best to make your stay enjoyable! We hope to see you again.

The Tea Cozy team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We only stayed one night and checked in rather late but our very organized tour guide had called for us (thanks Wendy Wei) to tell the hotel we would be checking in late. At first I wondered if I had chosen poorly as the van driver rambled up the somewhat dark country mountain road but then there was the Tea Cozy and it was a charming sight. They right away offered us welcome tea and led us up to our rooms. We had the family suite for three of us (it is two separate rooms sharing a bathroom and three beds) . I had to make at least three calls down for electric adaptor help, extra pillows and cooling/heating system help and even though it was late they quickly obliged. The breakfast was wonderful and there was a fire going in the cozy rustic dining area. I regret not having been able to spend more than 1 night to enjoy this hotel. We went on a wonderful country bike ride the next morning before checkout , the bike use was included in the stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

After a long week in China, I was looking forward to staying in the 'county'.
We arrived and the staff was absolutely amazing. Our rooms were cozy. The surrounding areas were peaceful.

The best part - dinner! One of the better meals we have had at a hotel.

The only suggestion I have - we had spa treatments which were nice. I wish they were somewhere else (or an empty room perhaps) - as an oil massage on the bed you sleep in isn't the most ideal situation.

Thank you to the staff and management - you really rocked it! The decor, the landscaping - everything is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Superlative service along with beautifully appointed rooms rounds off this excellent choice for the area.

It's not a big hotel, and it's about 10-15 minutes cab ride out of town, but it's very well located for cycling along Yu Long He (Jade Dragon river) and since that's what we were mostly there for (*cycling and boat trips) we only went into town for a day the day it rained, so worked out perfectly.

Amy is great- motivated, articulate and very thoughtful in her directions, answers and willingness to look into special requests and routes etc. Curry was a great source of information as well for our onward leg to Long Ji area.

It was definitely a pampering experience to have them handle most of the logistics and we just enjoyed ourselves- we nearly felt bad how easy everything was.

Room was beautifully appointed with lovely views-

Recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great little hotel outside Yangshao city proper. Altho the building appears newer, it's been decorated to look older and has many charming touches. Richard and Curry, the owners, and their entire staff are extremely pleasant & helpful. Went out of their way to help us when one of us left our passport in a hotel in Guilin. We also had several delicious meals in their dining room, much of the food they grow themselves. A lovely place made special by the people.
Highly recommended

Devizes, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our first visit to the Chinese mainland and we were planning to stay for one week. We had to visit the Great Wall and Terracotta Warriors and were looking for a third, quieter, place to stay. After watching a few episodes of BBC's Wild China we decided on Guillin - and my wife found the Tea Cozy on TripAdvisor with it's amazingly good reviews.
We flew in from Hong Kong in the afternoon and were picked up from the airport by a driver arranged through Amy at the Tea Cozy. On the hour or so drive from the airport the roads started off being wide and modern and as we went further they became narrower, dustier and more pot-holed - as the karst mountain scenery became more and more spectacular. In the end we were beginning to wonder were we'd come to but when we arrived and were greeted at the Tea Cozy our worries disappeared.
The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, and we were shown to our Deluxe Suite which immediately blew us away with it's amazing wooden bathtub, traditional Chinese decor and the stunning view of the limestone karst mountains from our balcony.
We ate at the hotel on our first evening and the food was so amazing that we didn't eat anywhere else during our stay - simply the best Chinese food I'd ever had.
During our stay we arranged a visit to the light show at Yangshou, bicycles and a bamboo raft ride for one day, a sightseeing tour to a tea plantation and views of the Lee River on the next day and our return journey to the airport - all through Amy, an amazing bundle of energy who just couldn't do enough to help.
We felt that the area around the hotel gave a taste of the real China - a million miles from the pollution and traffic of Beijing. It's in a rural area and we saw many people working in the fields during the day, walking their cattle along the road or selling their produce in stalls by the road. Everybody we met was friendly and they were all happy to say 'hello'.
All of the staff in the Tea Cozy were extremely helpful and made our stay a real pleasure. Curry drove us to the airport for our onward flight and gave us a potted history of the hotel on the journey.
Of all the places we visited during our trip to China this is the one we would be most likely to return to.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite is amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I had booked Tea Cozy due to the glowing reviews on tripadviisor. I was really looking forward to a fabulous stay but left with mixed feelings. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I guess the first mistake I made was not booking through the website. It was a choice between Yangshuo Moondance Hotel and this one. The reviews for Moondance did mention that bicycles provided were old so I choose to stay here. I wanted the special offer for 4 nights stay which gave a one way free transport to/from airport. The tour guide I hired said she could book the hotel for me. I somehow missed the condition for the special promotion being only valid if booked through their website.

It was only when we checked in that I realized my mistake. No free transport, no free bicycles and no tea ceremony! My tour guide had already confirmed one way free transport to airport during our earlier emails so I guess that will be coming out of her own pocket. No wonder she was so keen to make the booking on my behalf - commissions! I did plead with the staff to consider at least letting us have the free bicycles as I could see there were a lot of bicycles parked opposite the hotel. She said she will check and let us know. They did allow us to use the bicycles during our stay.

We had booked the family room on the fourth floor. There was no lift but we didn't mind walking. There were 2 rooms sharing a bathroom with a balcony. The rooms were a bit dark and the bathroom darker. There was no place to place toiletries at the sink area. it would be nice to have a mirror in the rooms as well. Since there was a kettle and cups, we had expected tea or coffee bags as well. Anyway, we had brought our own beverages but no tea spoon! The view from the room overlooking farmlands and karst mountains was everything we expected and we didn't mind the shortcomings.

During our 4 nights stay, we did not make use of the tour service provided by the hotel as we had our tour guide. We did make a booking for a tai-chi lesson through the hotel. We were charged RMB180 for a 2 hour class. We ate all our dinners at the hotel and we can attest that the food is excellent. We tried the beer fish and it was really tasty and creamy, The vegetables were sweet and freshly picked from the gardens.

The girls were friendly and helpful. We especially got to know Bella and Amy and of course the chef! They seemed so nice and warm. Bella showed me beautiful photos of her trip to the rice terrace in October and her trek from Ping'an to Dazhai, something that I really wanted to do.

Events during our last day made me have second thoughts of this place. Amy spoke to the tour guide in Mandarin in my presence asking her to tell me to pay the hotel by that evening. The tour guide then spoke in English to me to pass me the message. I might not be able to speak Mandarin but that doesn't mean I am stupid! I understood what she said perfectly and I was kind of cheesed off after that. She doesn't need an interpreter to ask me to settle my bill, duh! I know they have to pay a commission to the tour guide but she doesn't have to take it out on me.

The next morning morning to the airport. Even though they said they had noted it down there was no one to help us with our bags. We ladies had to lug our heavy suitcases down 4 flights of stairs on our own as there was no one to assist us. The boy who was sleeping in the hall woke up after we were done with our bags to unlock the front door. So much for service! Sorry, no tips this time.

So I am having mixed feelings about my stay there. I did not meet Richard or Curry as they were away during our stay. I will be returning to this area but unsure if I will stay here again. I guess if Bella and the chef is still around, I might consider. Make sure you book through their website so you don't get second class treatment!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Richard c, Owner at Yangshuo Tea Cozy, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
First thanks very much to stay at our hotel. Sorry about left you a mixed feeling, i was on holiday, not in Yangshuo, i just came back to home and to get to know about it. Your tour guide help you booked 4 nights at our deluxe family room, it’s a same price that we give to your guide or you booked direct through us, no any different.
We did renovation again in last December, we changed all the lamps, now all our rooms had very nice light, also we fit on a towel rack and a small area for toiletries in the bath room, in the room we add tea spoon at the free tea bag area, thanks very much for these lovely suggestion.
We did arrange a private Taichi lesson for you at Yima Taichi school, they charged 90 RMB / hour. Thanks for enjoy our food, we have a organic vegetables garden just near hotel, we pick fresh vegetables for our guest everyday, also the guest can come pick vegetables.
Amy spoke to your tour guide want you pay for your bill at previous evening, because next morning you will leave here very early around 6:300AM, we don’t want you to be rush in the morning for all the bills, we hope this way not make a mixed feeling for you. Sorry about the bell boy sleep deeply in that early morning, we already talked to our bell boy not to do this way next time after we saw your review.
Through all we sorry to hear that you had a mixed feelings during your stay in here, but we are warmly welcome you next time here.
Richard, Curry, Amy and Tea Cozy team.

Been to Yangshuo Tea Cozy? Share your experiences!