“We lucked out by going in the rain” 3 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$1,615*
and up
6-Day Best of Southern China Private Tour: Hong...
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
shenzhen
32 attraction reviews
“We lucked out by going in the rain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went down river in the rain. The typical tourist traffic was at a minimum, we were able to get amazing pictures, with few other boats creeping into our photos. Our guide was sweet, but a chain smoker. He put his cigarette out when we asked him to. He also indicated which peaks and formations had been used in print media for product ads.
There are dining options as you float downriver, we just chose not to use them.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
78 attraction reviews
“Cruising along.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Another vote for the northern reaches of the river, best accessed by bicycle from Yangshuo (beyond Yulong Bridge). Here the boatmen seem to understand that " foreigners" like peace & quiet and not the shrieking, water-fighting that is the highlight of the coach tour crowd.
200 RMB is the Government fee for a 1 hour raft trip (2people). Our guide suggested this is NOT what the boatman gets for his work! They could spend some of the money on cleaning the toilets, which were more disgusting than some of the rural cess pits I've used in remote parts of China.
Cycling through the villages was a highlight, although the day was extremely hot.

Visited July 2013
Jersey-Channel Islands
11 attraction reviews
“A must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

There are a number of hot spots on the river where it's really congested but this can be avoided by going toward the end of the day and starting as far up river as possible away from the coach drop off points.
We hired bikes from tea cosy hotel and they arranged everything for us. We cycled for an hour or two to the rafting. Our bikes were transported to the end of the rafting while we were paddled for two hours downstream .
The scenery was magnificent. We didn't begin rafting until 4.30pm therefore we missed the scorching heat of the day and also the worst of the crowds. An added bonus was that we enjoyed the beautiful colours of the late afternoon sun.

Visited July 2013
Hengyang, China
“not very exited for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

i like the price,haha ,it's cheap,only 50 rmb one person.but i like more exited activites.if you want to relax ,maybe it's a good place

Visited June 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
26 attraction reviews
“one of the best trips I had in China”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I recommend the tour bike from Yangshuo, along the Yulong river.
The rounded hills, thegreen fields, the river - it was all so peaceful and picturesque. I loved it.
I biked from Yangshuo to the Yulong Bridge, and further north to some remote villages which I have no idea as to their name. It gave me a superb opportunity to observe close-handedly some aspects of the authentic rural life in China. Very fascinating.
The roundtrip - Yangshuo as a starting point - took me 7-8 hours, but it's totally up to you: depends on how far you reach, how fast you bike, how many "photo-ops" you take etc..
Tips:
- Take with you a tourist map of the area; they are sold/offered everywhere in Yangshuo.
- Make sure you choose the right exit from Yangshuo to the bike path (I didn't and it cost me time and sweat).
- I was here during early June, and it was hot & **very** humid. Dress lightly, bring hat & suncream, and drink a lot.
- at some point it started to rain (though the temperature didn't drop below 30 celsius). Either bring with you a cheap poncho (like the one many Chinese use), or wait under a cover and hope the rain stops quickly.
- don't bother to carry water or snacks; you'll find along the road many street vendors selling food and cold drink.
- the bamboos: every bridge across the Yulong offers an opportunity to board a bamboo boat. I personally don't like such things, but from what I heard it's (1) nice and (2) very expensive.

Visited June 2013