“all you get is a roof over your head” 2 of 5 stars

Shilin Hotel
Beihai Scenic Area, Huangshan 245800, China   |
Ranked #46 of 402 Hotels in Huangshan
new jersey
“all you get is a roof over your head”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I booked for two nites here but end up staying only one nite, sacrificing the other nite. this is partly my fault as I did not understand the routing of huangshan, and I'll be damned if I have to repeat the route and come back here. the hotel has a nice lobby and that's about it. the room was small, and as mentioned the bathroom was the dumbest thing I've ever seen,the shower and toilet share one space so the floor is wet after shower, you can imagine. although the day was warm, it got chilly in the evening. I called the front desk and they said heating is not yet available, I'm welcome to use the extra blanket provided. but I told them that won't help when I have my massage naked.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

This hotel was touted as a 4 star hotel. Perhaps a negative 4 would be more appropriate. The room was small and smelled like mold. The squished insects added dimension to the walls. I opened the window to rid the room of the moldy smell only to see blankets being sunned on the roof and the workers walking on the roof. The bathroom was the dumbest design. The toilet was next to the shower and the toilet paper would get soaked each time anyone took a shower. Fortunately the shower floor was dark. I'm afraid to think of what mold it camouflaged. The beds were hard as rock. The roll away bed was softer! The restaurant's floors were slippery from food being dropped. I have to say I did enjoy the food only because I watched as the workers carried on their shoulders at least 50lbs of pumpkins, bean sprouts, cases of water and beer, meat and provisions for the hotel. I felt guilty not eating the food on the table.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Silver Spring
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

You have to hike quite a ways to reach this hotel from the cable car. The hike was exhausting for me. We were hit by a typhoon when we arrived, so needless to say, there wasn't much to see. Everywhere we looked, it was foggy and we were soaking wet. The hotel were very nice and provided us with shoe dryers (although using the hair dryer worked even better). They have a drying service where we had our pants dry. Bring extra clothing if the weather is wet. For the early morning sunrise hike, they have Down coats stored under the TV cabinet (2 to a room). They came in really handy. It is a cooler in the mornings, even in June (about 50-60 degrees F around 4am). I took one, but by the time I got to the top of the mountain, I was so hot from all the hiking that I didn't need it anymore. After having my chance to see the BEAUTIFUL sunrise, everything that went bad the day before were less important. All in all, this was well worth it. I have the most beautiful pictures to bring home.

• Stayed June 2009
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

My husband and I along with another couple stayed here for one night. The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk once you get to the top near the gondola. You'll find most hotels are about $120 US a night on top of the mountain, which is overpriced for Chinese standards. It is worth staying up there one night though because you get the chance to catch a gorgeous sunrise over the granite peaks. The hotel is just a few minute walk to the lookout point.

We had heard stories about bad hotel rooms in this area, but our room was clean. Just be prepared for a hard bed. Our biggest complaint was that you could hear noise from the karaoke lounge and too easily from the room next door. A group had gathered in there to play cards. We had to call the front desk twice to get them to quiet down.

I'd definitely recommend bringing plenty of snacks if you don't eat/like Chinese food. They have a morning Chinese buffet that I remember lasted from 6:30-8:30. We ate dinner (Chinese) at the nearby Beihai Hotel. We thought the lobby of the Shilin looked better and it wasn't as smoky.

• Liked — Location, convenience store downstairs in hotel
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Even though it´s totally overpriced for what it is if you can stay one night on Huangshan I would totally recommend it as come 4pm most people have made their descent down the mountain and it´s a really nice time to have the mountain to yourself and see the sunset. Also if you want to see the sunrise on the mountain then you have to stay. Hotel is fine, clean. Double rooms are a lot smaller and pokier than the twin rooms. Shower and toilet are altogether in a small glass room but for one night its fine really.

• Liked — Location - on top of Huangshan
  • Disliked — Expensive for what it is
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Venice, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

The hotel is probably the best you are going to get on the mountain. The rooms although not big are clean and comfortable enough for 1 or 2 nights.
There were only 2 things we didnt like about our stay - we all thought the food was pretty horrible - large qty low quality.
We were also annoyed after having one of the foot massages that are offerred downstairs. The massages were poor and when we paid the tips recommended by our chinese guide all the masseurs complained they wanted more. What a lazy bunch.
Despite these complaints if I come back again I would definitely stay in this hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

This hotel was OK. Except for the stained carpet, the room was clean. It may have been small but unless you are used to 4 & 5-star hotels I don't think anybody should have too much to moan about. If you visit Huangshan you will see how everything is carried up the mountain on foot so I can understand the delay in getting the carpet replaced.
The beds were firm, the bedding was clean and after a day spent trekking up the mountain I slept very well.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Shilin Hotel? Share your experiences!