“A home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Ridge Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Huangshan
Pine Ridge Lodge
You added Pine Ridge Lodge to your Saves list
South Gate of HuangShan Scenic Area, Huangshan 245800, China   |
Ranked #5 of 404 Hotels in Huangshan
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed at the Pine Ridge Lodge for only one night and after staying there, I can safely say that you cannot go wrong if you choose the Pine Ridge Lodge as your base for exploring Huangshan.
As I have never been to Huangshan before, and given our very tight timeframe, I was initially anxious about planning an intense one day trip there. The owner of the lodge, Wayne, who is fluent in English, was invaluable and helped me organise everything through email before I even left for China. He helped arrange a driver to pick us up from the airport (despite our arrival being at a very inconvenient time) and booked the accommodation for us, all at a very reasonable price.
On the day, our plane was delayed by more than half an hour, but we were not charged any extra fees by the driver, who was extremely polite and courteous. The staff at the hotel helped us process our check-in at close to midnight when we arrived, and despite the lateness, took the time to explain to us a suitable one day route for climbing Huangshan (and gave us a map).
We were shown to our room by a very polite lady who even turned on the heaters in our room before our arrival. We were in a garden room (for 3 people) which was quite basic, but clean and comfortable.
Free breakfast was included with our room rate. You can request a western breakfast if congee, pickles and egg is not your cup of tea in the morning. The hotel organised a driver to drop us and another couple to the bus station (only 2 mins away) from where you can catch transport to take you up Huangshan. It was all very seamless and convenient.
On the way down from Huangshan, the staff had already told us to tell the bus driver to stop at the South Gate where Pine Ridge Lodge is, so we were only just across the road from the hotel. The lodge appears to be the first stop outside the Huangshan scenic area so very convenient.
The lady at the hotel organised for the kitchen to prepare for us a delicious meal which I still remember fondly today - delicious crisp and sweet fresh bamboo shoots picked fresh from the mountain. Again all for an incredibly reasonable price.
As we had descended Huangshan quicker than expected, we were still early. The staff advised us that taking a public bus to the train station (which was our next stop) would be cheaper than using their private driver. We were incredibly impressed that the staff weren't trying to tout or push their services and make more money out of us, unlike everywhere else in China. Instead, they really had our best interests at heart. Once we finished eating the lady had already organised for the public bus to wait for us right outside the lodge. Again, incredibly thoughtful and seamless!
Overall, from start to finish, the service and friendliness of the staff, and their generosity made us feel like we were part of one big family. We went to many other parts of China, and never did we feel such warmth and enthusiasm from the staff. Staying at the Pine Ridge Lodge has really made our trip to Huangshan all the more enjoyable and memorable.

Room Tip: The garden room we stayed in had a very basic shower, no separate shower, just a showerhead in the b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Taipei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My parents, boyfriend, and I stayed at this hotel for only two nights, but it felt like much longer because it made such a positive impression on us. The best part of our stay was definitely the staff. The owner is fabulous. He helped us plan our trips by giving great recommendations and helping us sort out the logistics. He tolerated my numerous emails as I tried to sort out our plans ahead of the trip and really welcomed us when we got there. My parents had some long, friendly talks with him. We organized a private driver through the hotel and the driver was cheerful and punctual. We felt like the cook/servers at the hotel restaurant were family by the end of the trip, and we ate there for all of our meals because we'd heard about restaurants in town trying to cheat tourists. Plus, the food at the hotel was delicious, fresh, and extremely reasonably priced so why not? It helps if you can speak some Chinese when ordering, because we were able to tell them exactly what dishes we wanted, which weren't on the menu, and they cooked it up for us quickly. Even if you don't know the Chinese, they may just call the owner and have him translate for you. Make sure to tell them if you don't like fatty meat or meat with bones or you may end up with it. The included breakfast isn't run out of that restaurant and is in a different part of the hotel. It's very simple, not a buffet, but more than enough rolls (Chinese style) and congee (rice porridge) with some add-ins, and also a few hard boiled eggs.

We stayed in the cheapest rooms which are separated from the hotel's main building. Overall, the rooms were very nice, and we were extremely satisfied. But there were some small problems. Firstly, the wireless signal doesn't reach these rooms, and you had to go to the lobby or sit on the front steps of the main building which was a little awkward. The bathroom is small and doesn't have a separated shower as most Western-style bathrooms do. My parents were pretty shocked. Instead there is a drain in the floor and most things in the bathroom get wet. There was also a pretty awful smell that occasionally came from the bathroom drain, sort of an old sewage smell. You could control it by covering it with various objects, and it didn't bother us too much. I'm almost positive that the rooms in the main building wouldn't have any of these cons, which were completely okay given the great price, the great service, and the great location. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Guanajuato, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

You won't go wrong if you choose to stay for a few days at Pine Ridge Lodge.
It sits at the base of Huangshan Mountain and is10 minutes walk outside the small city of Tangkou.

The owner Wayne Tong restored an old inn set in a pine garden right outside the South Gate, and it rates high in terms of comfort level, excellent attentive service, and tasty food from the included Chinese breakfast down to dishes made to order in their kitchen.

I found it extremely peaceful in spite of the afore-mentioned construction project in front. I really never noticed noise from this and it is shut down at night.

Wayne sent a car for me to the Huangshan airport, 1 and 1/2 hours away, at a modest price. There was a driver available all day at no charge to ferry guests into town to take the local buses to the Huizhou villages nearby and for the transport that gets one up to the jumping off point on the mountain.

They arranged my onward train tickets for almost nothing and my shared private car back to Huangshan City, answered a million questions, kept my room spotless. There is wireless internet in the main building. I was out in the bungalows which I think are even more serene and private. AC, TV, wonderful hot water, bath amenities, comfy bed with real down duvet and first rate linens.

Huangshan City is far away, and although it should be visited, does not make a good base for the exploring the mountain. I ended up staying extra days at Pine Ridge Lodge just to relax.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the privacy of the bungalows, but all the rooms are well-appointed and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was planning our first family trip to China. It is not easy as I'm bringing along with me my parents, parent-in-laws and young children. Never been to Huangshan before, I have to rely on information from website to plan my trip.
I have chosen Pine Ridge Lodge based on the reviews in Tripadvisor. After making my reservation, I got the contact number of Pine Ridge Lodge, contacted the Lodge to get help on transport arrangement and got in contact with Mr. Tong - the owner of the Lodge. We exchanged email and started to communicate using gmail.
Mr. Tong is so efficient in English making the email communication very easy. To plan the trip for 11 people with old age parents, there are many things that I need to consider. I explored many options and Mr. Tong patiently guided me, provided me with suggestions and solutions. We exchanged more than 50 emails (thanks to gmail for tracking) to plan this trip. At some point, I was worried that Mr. Tong is going to get impatient with me and ignore my email. He didn't. He consistantly reply my email within less than 24 hrs.
I just returned from Huangshan. My trip was so well planned and everyone enjoyed ourselves so much.
Mr. Tong is truely someone you can trust if you are planning a trip to Huangshan. At the last minute, we changed our booking of bus from Huangshan to Hefei and it was done in less than 15 minutes without any penalty charges.
If you are not able to communicate in Chinese, I strongly recommend Pine Ridge Lodge as you can be sure that the owner, Mr. Tong, is trustworthy.

YB&LE from Singapore

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We chose this hotel on the recommendation of friends who had visited earlier in the year and did not check Tripadvisor reviews as is our usual practice.
The airport pickup arrangements worked perfectly and we enjoyed the drive to the hotel.
We met Mr Tong, the owner, when we checked in and discovered that he was from the States which explained his excellent English!
Our room was comfortable with a clean bathroom and with wifi. The room had a kettle and cups but no supplies. (We always carry tea with us.)
The hotel staff were all very pleasant although with very limited Englsh.
Mr Tong arranged our transportation to the shuttle which took us to the mountain. He also arranged a car and driver for a trip to see local sights including a wonderful bonsai garden.
On the day we left, he arranged for the driver to stop in Tunxi so that we could have lunch and visit the old street before we went out to the airport.
One of the great things for us was that Mr Tong encouraged us to call him on his cell phone if we found ourselves needing help. We did in fact call him several times.

A Chinese breakfast is included in the room rate but the alternative was 2 slices of toast with marmalade plus one cup of tea available for 12 yuan. We would have liked a wider choice - omellette, fresh fruit or fruit juice for example.
We ate dinner in the hotel three times. Mr Tong suggested either chicken or pork with a vegetable dish and he ordered the meal for us. On the 3rd night we indicated we would like 2 different vegetable dishes and we received 2 varieties of Chinese cabbage. There was a wide choice of vegetables in the kitchen so the 2 cabbage dishes surprised us. Dinner was good value for money but it would have been better to have a menu in English with wider range of choices.
The major construction was still in progress when we were there with noise going on in the evening and early in the morning.

Mr Tong's personal approach was the thing that made our stay memorable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

It's a very nice place, really, the rooms, the service - everything.
The owner just forgot to mention that there is a huge construction going on 24 hours a day!!!
You can't here it only if you stay in the cabins (and not the main building) with your windows closed.
Supposed to be over in October 2011.

Eventually we had to move out one day before planned - because of the constant noise. Got our money and deposit back, there was no problem with that.

Room Tip: I wouldn't reccomend staying there.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

this great hotel, clean, quiet, with big rooms and with very helpful and friendly staff (the manager speaks a perfect english)surpised us! we reccomand pine lodge even for the restaurant. do not hesitate to ask for driving to hanghzou or elsewhere with very convenient fee!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pine Ridge Lodge? Share your experiences!