“Great location and decent rooms.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ancient Town Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Ancient Town Youth Hostel
No.11 Third Road, Tunxi District, Huangshan 245000, China   |
4.5 of 5 stars 88 Reviews
“Great location and decent rooms.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Lovely old street good for evening stralls after busy days travelling. The hostel has a great location and a lot of usefull information about the surrondings. Their tours are done with private travel agents so you might get in a middle of a bus with 50 chinese tourist going for the mountain with no english speaking guide. So better just ask help with transportation. Rooms are quite nice and clean and theres a good vibe in the hotel. Staff is nice altough some members are too nervous (once they woke us up at 5 am when we had booked a tour with meeting time 6h30... Try to avoid those).

Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The location of the hotel near the Old Street is excellent. We stored our suitcase in the hotel before heading up the mountain. Mr Gu from the hotel was very helpful by providing a copy of his hand-drawn map of the mountain and told us how we should spend our two and half days up there. Walking sticks were also lent to us for free. He also recommended the excellent wonton restaurant two doors down where locals eat. When we returned for our one-night stay, we planned to visit Hong Village and Nan Ping for the ancient Hui-style houses. Parts of "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" was shot in Nan Ping. Again Mr Gu made suggestions as to which one we should visit and which ones can be skipped.

My room has a damp, musty smell. To top off that, the stinky smell from the stinky tofu (a local delicacy) stand a few doors down wafted in through the bathroom window which is permanently left open. Also this is a no-nothing (one notch below no-frill) hotel as soap is not even provided. Shampoo and body wash packets can be purchased at the front desk for 50 cents. I wonder why they aren't provided for free given I was spending 130 yuan a night.

Would I come back? No. But others can certainly use Mr Gu's knowledge. Mind that he works the night shift between 10pm and 8:30 in the morning and he sure loves company.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three friends in this hostel for two nights. The location of the hostal is pretty good, in a nice part of the city and 5min by cab from the bus station. The strenghts of this place are nice dorms and good international ambiance. The weak points are poor front desk asistance (rude & incompetent) and TERRIBLE bathrooms, there are two bathrooms (chinese) for the entire hostel and it seems nobody takes care of them. The bar/restaurant schedule is also ridiculous giving lunch till 12pm and dinner till 7.30pm. If you want to stay one night, the place is ok but for a longer period you may not be able to get along with this inconvenients.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We (a young couple) spend two nights here, using it as base camp to visit the yellow mountian (must see). we had a double room.
Hotel: staff is really helpfull in planning your trip to the mountain and speak good english. They have ponchos, water, food, walking sticks (free) available. We arrived at night which was no problem. The hotel has several 'chill' areas to hang out, which is nice. Two internet computer available
Room: clean, warm water, good shower, good bed, good value (if not in peak season)
Neigboorhood: many restaurants for diner. Some good coffee places for great coffee and breakfast/lunch. Lots of souvenirs shops with actually pretty nice stuff.
Improve points: beer is expensive, not all rooms of same quality.

Yellow mountain itself is touristic but views / sceneries are worth it!! In addition, they build stairs everywhere so easily accessible

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I enjoyed staying in this hotel, not just because it was cheap but the staff was very helpful and the most important thing is they can speak English :)
You can arrange a tour or transportation from here, even a package food to bring to the mountain! :D
I stayed in single room which is decent, need to clean the floor as I found an unpleasant smell from the small can near my bed (I don't know if it was food or insecticide)
The bathroom is clean but the window can't be closed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This seems to be the most popular hostel in Huangshan for foreigners. When I was there, there seemed to be more foreigners than Chinese tourists. There weren't too many people staying at the hostel and the common areas were surprisingly quiet.

The hostel room is decent and the reception speaks English, although if you have a heavy accent they might struggle a bit. I booked via email and they were quite prompt in responding. The reception is open for 24 hours. Their attitude is good compared to the staff in most Chinese hotels. They can also book tickets for you.

The rooms have cable internet access but no wifi, though wifi is available in the reception. The breakfast (not included in the price) is not terribly good.

The location in the hostel is also good, very close to the "old street". I would say that all taxi drivers would know this hostel if you give them the Chinese name.

From the train station I paid 10yuan for a taxi to the hostel. It should be around the same from the bus station.

There is no lift in the hostel so a staff member helped me carry my heavy suitcase upstairs (there are four floors). However, when I wanted to take it down at checkout, the reception told me to ask my friend instead, although another staff member saw me and helped me in the end.

I also hired a driver for a whole day by negotiating with a taxi driver on the street and paid 280rmb to take me from the hostel to Hongcun/Xidi/Mukeng and then to Tangkou.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We had a great stay at this small hostel in the center of Huangshan Old Town. The rooms were absolutely clean, all other guests were very nice and the staff very helpful for planning a hiking trip or organizing a bus to Shanghai. The night doorman even opened the bar especially for us, in the middle of the night :-)

We can definitely recommend this place and would certainly stay there again, if coming back to Huangshan!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ancient Town Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!