“Well worth it!!” 5 of 5 stars

Camino a Toconao s/n, San Pedro de Atacama 2345, Chile
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: On Safari Atacama offers guided motorbike and 4x4 tours. Prices are all inclusive.
Santiago, Chile
“Well worth it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I orgainsed this tour for my parents in June, they absolutely loved it. I have been meaning to write a review for awhile. The hosts are very friendly, profession and fun. They took great care of my parents and made sure their time was the best in San Pedro. It was the highlight of their trip and an unforgettable experience, they likened it to how much fun they had on safari's in Africa.

THANKS!

Visited June 2012

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
“Your desert adventure awaits!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

It's really nice to be able to get into the desert with your motorbike. This is a professional outfit that enables you to do just that!

Equipment (helm, pants, boots, gloves) and bikes (BMW 650GS) are in prime condition and the guide is a sympathetic guy able to inspire confidence and give advice concerning off-road driving.

At the time I took the tour they had 3 types. Special (2,5 hours), Half-day (4-hours) and day tours. The prices were: 135/182/365 USD respectively.

The tour I took, a half day tour (SALAR DE ATACAMA Y TOCONAO) was an easy stretch on highway and a few kilometers on dirt packed road. That was well enough for me because I hadn't ridden much the last year.

On negative aspect was that the tour was not the 4 hours they promised. We were back at our hostel within 3,5 hours. That is including transport to and from the motor storage. Because the tour is more expensive than the 'special' I would have liked to get the full time on the bike.

So, if you are a beginner like me and would like to drive in the desert the tour is fine, but one of the specials is better value. If you are a regular driver, I would go for another tour.

Another point for me was that the information on the website about the tours is very limited and because I don't have a phone here in Chili it was hard to get enough information. I would have liked to know more about the route beforehand.

Visited June 2012
“Fantastic experience, great guides - a must-do if you have a motorcycle license.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011 via mobile

In September (2011), I did 2 tours in one day with these guys. The night before the actual tour we met at my hotel to discuss details and prepare. The guides showed a professional attitude and were laid back at the same time (which I think is a perfect combination).

On the day of the tour I was picked up at my hotel and we headed to the base camp just outside San Pedro. The motorbikes were quite new and well kept. One of the guys is also a mechanic which is reassuring. The tour itself was absolutely beautiful and the guide was very knowledgeable about the area and the history of it all. We saw some waterfalls, geisers, swam in hot springs during lunch time, saw some active vulcanos (or at least you could see toxic waste on the top of the vulcano), saw the salt lakes, the moon valley and a beautiful sunset.

Basically, if you have a motorcycle license, this is the best experience you can get.

Mike.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Fantastic, professional motorcycle tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I had an amazing time on my tour with On Safari Atacama. The staff picked me up at my hotel outside San Pedro de Atacama and took me back to their location, where my bike (BMW F650) was prepped and ready to go. They were incredibly friendly and professional, and spoke very good English to match my sub-par Spanish.

We explored the region around San Pedro de Atacama and did some fun off-road that included water crossings and even a little bit of sand. Nothing too technical. Also did a brief tour of the petroglyphs on foot. My guide was very knowledgeable about the history of the location and the region in general.

Chile just might be the best place in the world to ride a motorcycle, and I highly recommend these guys. Next time I'll spend a whole week with them.

Visited September 2011