“Good value, basic and comfortable place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Sonchek

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro de Atacama
Hostal Sonchek
You added Hostal Sonchek to your Saves list
Calle Gustavo le Paige 198, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile   |
Ottawa, Canada
“Good value, basic and comfortable place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We paid 19,000 chilean pesos per night for a cosy private room with shared bathrooms (which were always spotlessly clean). The room is made of adobe, so you are kept warm at night (and it gets very cold up in the desert) and cool during the day when it gets very, very hot. The staff were fine - easy to talk to and doing their jobs well. The hostal cats are fine, just being normal cats, and one was a handful. We befriended the shaggy tabby who turned out to be a bit of a psycho - she kept running into our room and when we tried to shoo her out, she turned into a bit of a demon and scratched my husband! But she was really cute and mostly lovable, and we adore cats, so we just laughed it off. I would stay here again. The prices in San P de A are very high and it's a tourist trap - it was nice to escape to our nice, quiet adobe room at this laid back hostel.

The restaurant next door to the hostel is awful - do not eat here! I traveled in South America for 3 weeks and this was the worst and most overpriced meal I had during my entire trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in April 2012 and had a great stay. We paid 18,000 Chilean Pesos a night, for a double room, with a shared bathroom. Our room was comfortable and cosy, with a nice table and chairs to sit out in front of the room. There was a resident cat who had a fascination with our room, and constantly kept running in whenever we opened the door, but we found it quite humorous.

The hot showers were not always that hot, or powerful, but we didn't expect much else as you are in the middle of the desert.

The wi-fi signal was usually very good, and the table tennis area was great to while away some time in the evening, while waiting for a bus!

The communal kitchen was clean and well-stocked, which saved us some money as we didn't need to eat out as much.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere in the hostel was nice. The whole place felt quirky, especially as the area is unique. The location of the hostel was fantastic, a short walk from the bus station and all the shops/restaurants.

The only slight downside was the rush of people needing to use the bathrooms in the early hours of the morning, as everyone is going out on tours. We wish other people would use there brains and shower at night instead of the morning! It makes it much easier for people to use the toilet in the morning if they do.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Excelent adobe hostel, with a pleasant shared yard, well equiped kitchen and nice staff.

• Stayed July 2012
Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Overall we had a great stay at the Soncheck hostal this June. The room was extremely clean, as were the bathrooms.The water pressure in the showers is poor, and you are only able to shower in the evening (at least in the winter when we stayed) as they are solar powered and would be freezing first thing in the morning. But for us this wasnt a problem, just a simple adjustment of routine which I am sure most travelers are used to.
Its true, there are cats. They hang out in the courtyard. Someone here mentioned 5, but I saw 3 of them, all of which were very friendly (as I myself love cats) and would come jump on my lap, purr, and cuddle. It reminded me of home. Very happy about this, but other travelers may not feel the same way. If you are allergic or dont like them, I imagine they are easy to avoid. They are not allowed in the rooms.

One thing that did bother me however was that the wifi does not work in your room (at least it didnt in ours) so you have to sit outside. I imagine this is fine in the summer, but in the winter it is a bit of a nightmare.

At the end of our stay the manager asked us if we had any complaints. We didnt. We were incredibly warm at night (surprising, winter in the atacama desert!) and the beds were so comfy, it made it hard to get up in the morning.

A major word of caution: Do not eat at the restaurant next door. Overpriced. Disgusting. Incredibly bad service. You have been warned.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sucre, Bolivia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed in a double room, shared bathroom. Clean sheets and towels. The adobe walls are really thick and keep most of the cold out at night. Rooms are big enough. We also had our own little terrace. Communal showers and toilets are cleaned daily very thoroughly. We always had hot water. The kitchen is too small for everybody wanting to cook at the same time.
Very good location. Great staff, always ready to help.
We stayed 7 nights and got a 10% discount.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

It was fine for what it was. I arrived very late and left early the next morning. I was backpacking for several weeks and meeting friends the following day at a hotel in town. This was merely a place to lay my head. I had to walk outside to go to the bathroom, the room had a twin bed, a small table and a few shelves. It was very dated and not well-kept. There were cats on the premises which could be a problem if you are allergic. I checked out as soon as I woke up and headed to the hotel to meet my friends.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hostel is set in an adorable building with the rooms centred around a pretty court yard littered with cute cats. It's located very near the bus terminal, which was helpful when I arrived at 11pm and it was cold and windy and I was disorientated. The location is perfect, the streets were well lit at night, and I always felt safe.
The staff ensured people kept the noise down during the night, and the morning which I really appreciated. I found the staff fine, but not very forthcoming with suggestions and advice for tour companies and activities. Also their English skills might be somewhat exaggerated depending on who you're talking with, the basics were ok but anything more complicated usually required hand signals. I had to wake up the poor receptionist at 4:30am to check out before my Geyser tour!
I stayed in both the 4 bed dorm and private single room due to availability (it was a long weekend), I found the private bedroom bed to be more comfortable, but both were quiet and warm despite the 5 degrees C nights, and I didn't need any more than thin pajamas to keep me toasty all night. The rooms were clean, save some inescapable desert dust, and pretty in a simple way.
I didn't find a problem with the shared bathrooms besides the cold dash between bedroom and bathroom, some smelt better than others and I would recommend thongs (flip flops), and avoiding contact with walls.
All in all this was quite good for the price, other guests were friendly, and I'm staying there again in my next trip!

Room Tip: Single room more comfortable bed than dorm.