“A little overpriced but still a good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atacamadventure Wellness & Ecolodge

You added Atacamadventure Wellness & Ecolodge to your Saves list
Atacamadventure Wellness & Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pasaje Alana no.2 | Ayllus de Solcor, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile   |
Vienna, Austria
“A little overpriced but still a good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed three nights at the place and had a good time. The hotel is a little outside from San Pedro, but it is good to reach by bicycle (10 minutes). The bicycle you can take from the hotel and it is included in the hotel fee. The room (cabin) is divided in a bedroom and a shower with toilet and has a small veranda with chairs and table. It is very basic, however, it is very clean. It has no TV (since my Spanish sucks, I didn't need any TV), but trust me in the area of San Pedro there are other good things to do instead watching TV. So honestly you won't need one. The stuff at the hotel is very nice and helpful. Twice we had there lunch and it was really good. We got fresh made healthy 3 course meals served with wine and fresh juice. Overall we had a relaxing time at the hotel, nevertheless, I still think the price was a little to much.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Big room, but not so big bed. Very small shower box. Water temperature varies a lot (very hot or very cold).
The room was smelling fresh paint. Although I cannot complain about the room temperature, there was no Air conditioner. No wifi in the room. Slow internet wifi in the breakfast área.
Bikes are available (with lantern) because the hotel is a bit far from the town. Most of the way is sand, not asphalt. 10 to 15 minutes by bike or 20 to 30 minutes walk.
One night, I went to a Sky Observatory tour and my bike was not there where I had parked earlier in town. So, I had to walk back at 3am. It was completely dark (not even the moon light) and there were big dogs barking in a house 100 meters near the hotel. For my surprise, one of them was at loose that night. I was not attacked, they didnt approach but it was frightening.
About my bike, I found out that the restaurant where I had parked my bike took it inside. So, I got it back the next day, otherwise I would have to pay about USD300 for the borrowed bike.
The hotel restaurant meal was even more expensive compared to the towns restaurants. I didnt had dinner there but the menu was very basic.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wetzlar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel is expensive but offers relatively good value for the money you spend.

The rooms are big, the beds comfortable and large. Although it has been advertised that every room has a TV, none of the two double bed rooms had a TV.

The bathroom is very clean and relatively new. There has been a high tech massage shower which - unfortuantely - did not work. We told the staff to fix it, but they didn't do anything about it.

The breakfast was great, also the service - people were very friendly and helpful. On the day of our departure we could store our luggage in a safe place, which was very convenient.

We will consider this hotel the next time we visit San Pedro.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

​My husband and I just spent five nights in this great hotel in the middle of the desert. It is a bit far from the town, but they offer bikes and it takes only 10 minutes to get there. For us, it was a great choice, since we got the all inclusive package and we didn't have to look for restaurants or tour agencies - everything was already set up. The food in the lodge is very good. The lunch is always vegetarian and they include some kind of meat at dinner. But since I'm a vegetarian, they made special food for me at night. The room was clean and very spacious. There were just a few things that didn't match what they announce in their website: no TV in the rooms (not that it matters, but...), the hydro massage shower didn't work, the pool was not heated (it was 40° Celsius outside, but still the water was very very cool) and sometimes the Jacuzzi was overheated. When we got there, they had just adopted two puppies, which was a fun extra attraction. The excursions were fantastic, specially because of our guide, Javier, who is the best I've ever met. The last night we spent there was New Year's Eve, and they made a party for us, with a traditional band playing live, dancers and a delicious feast. All in all it is a great place, and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The Yapun room has a great view to the Licancabur volcano.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The hotel is a dusty couple of kilometres from San Pedro de Atacama. We saw people walk it, but I wouldn't want to. The neighbourhood is seedy, and there is a small bridge to get to the hotel. The bridge is narrow and diagonal to a small canal and has no side protection. Be careful especially at night. The parking area is small and hard to park in. Our room was partly flimsy plywood with apparent screws. There is a certain charm to the place, considering the unwelcoming desert it is set in. The jacuzzi and pool are nice. It is overall quite peaceful. The bathrooms are clean and modern. The lighting is 12 volts LED (there is an effort to be solar powered) and insufficient. The internet is terrible (but this is not specific to the hotel, I think). The staff were kind and breakfast was excellent, outstanding even.

What really got me was the price, USD 300 per night for the room for 4 people (writing this in a luxury room overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Antofagasta: USD 120/night for 4). And they briefly attempted to charge for a little map they had given me! It was about USD 180 per night for a double room.

Summary:

Overpriced, but then again all of San Pedro is.
Overall decent, but not impressive.
Outstanding breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

First of all you have to get into the mind set that you are in an oasis (San Pedro), in the middle of the Atacama desert, an hour and a half drive from Calama Airport. Don't expect 5 star luxury here. What you do get is rustic charm in abundance. The dirt track leads out of San Pedro, a good 20 minutes walk, (the only real draw back), and first impressions could be off putting - wicker fencing, irrigation channels, wooden walkways, lead to the mud coloured, straw roofed buildings. are we roughing it a bit here? No, you certainly are not! Our standard room was spacious, plenty of shelving/storage space, comfortable bed, clean (considering there is dust everywhere outside), not a great view onto wicker fencing, the bathroom was enormous, and everything worked.
The main eating area is delightful, all wood, high ceilings, and a bar/kitchen area where all the meals are prepared. We had the all inclusive option which we would strongly recommend, especially with the location out of San Pedro. Breakfast is pretty standard, the usual fruit, yoghurts, cereals, cold meats/cheese, bread/toast, juice/tea/coffee. However the lunches and evening meals we had were fantastic! Having just completed a 5 week tour of South America, they were one of the highlights. Three courses, beautifully cooked and presented, including wine. Saved trekking into San Pedro and after tiring tours, for us it was absolutely perfect.
Also as part of the package, we had a set number of excursions, Rainbow Valley, Valley of the Moon, Punta del Inca (gorge walk), Atacama Salt Flats, and the Tatio Geysers, all with Javier our guide who was first class. A rich variety of desert splendours made even richer by this superb guide. We stayed for 3 nights and just wished we had planned more.
There are outdoor seating areas to relax, plus a hot tub and small swimming pool. One feature the lodge does lack is a general inside lounge/seating/ relaxing area. There is a small mezzanine/landing area above the main eating space accessed up a steep staircase, however sitting on the floor on cushions in a relatively confined space is not our idea of comfort. This apart, we would not hesitate in recommending the Atacama Adventure Ecolodge.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I were here for five nights this last week. I made the booking largely by using Tripadvisor. We really enjoyed our stay here. We were met promptly at the airport and made the 100km drive to the lodge which is about a 20 minute walk from the town. We stayed in the Yapen room which had a large bed, small couch, desk and funky shower. It was perfect for our needs. The meals were very good especially the ones we had while on excursion that had been prepared by the lodge. Dinner was a bit late for us but it did give us time to relax and shower after the afternoon excursion. The best part was by far the excursions which exceeded our expectations. We had a fabulous guide, Javier, who went out of his way to figure out our interests and then tailor the trips in that direction. He is very experienced and found lots of different places to take us. Our groups were small, no more than 5, which was quite different from other lodges. The only complaint was the noise of the nearby dogs barking in the night. Ear plugs fixed this though. They are doing some upgrades and renovations, it doesn't interfere in the quality of stay. We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Atacamadventure Wellness & Ecolodge? Share your experiences!