“Ok for its price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Corvatsch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Pedro de Atacama
Hostal Corvatsch
You added Hostal Corvatsch to your Saves list
Gustavo le Paige 178, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile   |
Vienna
“Ok for its price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

If we had read all the negative comments on Tripadvisor before we would not have stayed at this place. As we had not we just had a look around at a couple of budget places in town when we arrived in San Pedro. We found that the Casa Corvatsch had the cleanest, most friendly rooms (the only one we saw with big windows) and stayed there for 7 nights in a room with shared bathrooms.

We cannot confirm that anyone was unfriendly, the lady at the reception spoke enough English to communicate about everything we needed, and the bathrooms and the corridor were cleaned intensively every day. A big minus, however, is the small kitchen which is really dirty and also used by the host family themselves (and it takes some time when the senora cooks for 20 people…).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Valparaiso, Chile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I stayed in Residencial Casa Corvatsch one night and I bought there two expeditions (Valle de la Luna, Geyser del Tatio) at Corvatsch agencia de turismo.
After check-out, they did not allow me to store in a hostal my backpack for 3 hours, saying that these were their rules, and they did not tell me anything about their rules before check in.
I left my room 7 hours before the check-out time, so I think that I was a good customer!!!
Additionally their expeditions were quite expensive, and on the second a tour guide did not speak English and generally told maybe ten sentences in Spanish.
I do not recommend them.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Herentals
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The rooms are clean and the price is ok. But that's about where the positive news ends.

Now for the negative... where to start. The staff is incredibly rude, has no clue about travelers needs and wants. There is a TV, but don't get fooled it's for private use only (even though it's in the common area). They'll throw you out of the kitchen if they need it, they throw you off the internet without warning. But that ain't even close to the worst part. A Hong Kong girl was staying in the dorms and was taking the nightbus, so she left her luggage next to the bed of another friend. She checked out in the morning ... but after she left in the night they noticed in the night that she left her bags in the room during the day. She they became all pissed off and started yelling in Spanish at the girlfriend... she had to pay up. I jump in sayin" Hey, hey, slow down, she doesn't speak Spanish" Well that pretty much got me in a fight. The night guy started pushing and shoving, challenging me to come outside for a fight. Needless to say, I stayed inside... and we checked out the same night.

In short: Corvatsch was the worst and most unfriendly place we stayed at in 10 months of backpacking and sleeping at over a hundred different hostels and hotels...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

The Good: Located fairly close to the main street, Caracoloes. Had wifi enabled, which I think should be standard these days. Had a decent garden area with hammocks and shade and tables. Cleanliness was acceptable for a hostel though not sparkling clean. The price, paid 7000 pesos for a private room, even though the room was VERY minimal, it was acceptable enough for the price.

The bad: The owner did not seem to go out of his way to make you feel welcome. For example, he did not give access to the kitchen, which many of the hostelers were complaining about. Checkout time was 11am, but my bus wouldn't leave for several hours after that. He wouldn't let me have a late checkout without charging me for a full night's stay and he was firm and unsympathetic about it. The hostel seemed really noisy as the walls were very thin. All night you hear people slamming doors, doing their business in the bathroom, having sex, walking around. You hear EVERYTHING. If you want to sleep here, bring earplugs. I didn't feel there were enough bathrooms for the number of people they have. I'd sometimes see a small line of people waiting to get in the bathroom, and I also don't like the fact that the bathrooms aren't private as in having a door you can close and lock. It's just a pet peeve of mine that may not bother everyone but I don't want to be in the shower while some guy a few feet away is sitting on the crapper. Overall lack of power outlets. I stayed both in a dorm room and a private room. People had to complete for outlets to charge up their portable devices. In the private room, there were no outlets whatsoever and I had to charge my things in the hallway, which made no sense to me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

we made reservations at casa corvatsch for one of their cabanas 3 days in advance via phone and - just to be sure – via mail and Lorena, who runs this place confirmed that our cabana would be waiting for us on dec 30 and also confirmed our 3 days stay.

when we finally got to san pedro on dec 30 at 11:30 pm we were told that our reservation was cancelled due to someone else.
first they claimed to have not even a bed available but after we insisted, because naturally at that time of the night was no other place available, they let us have a cabana just for the night, suggesting to leave the next day not only their place but san pedro all together because with new years eve approaching there would be just no chance to find a bed anywhere else. we immediately felt at home.

after breakfast the next morning they did mention the availability of a twin room in their hostel which we had to stay in as there really was no other place to go. weird enough they never even let us book a tour with corvatsch tours or let us buy breakfast at their place (breakfast is only available for people staying in the cabanas).

it was quiete obvious that there is a strict 2 cast policy at casa corvatsch: you manage to get a cabana (= hotel) everything is perfect, you end up at the hostel not even the maids talk to you. of course you are not supposed to sit in the garden either.

rooms at the hostel are functional but there is no power outlet and you will only have hot water from the late afternoon on (also in the cabanas). you better avoid using the communal kitchen but always be prepared to pay for your room in advance.

we did stay in quiete some places of the same category around chile, everywhere people were helpful and outstandingly friendly, but casa corvatsch is for sure not the place you want to stay after exhaustive trips to atacama and beyond.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

The Hostal will be a part of a hotel (under construction). There is no recepcionist at the "hotel". You have to enter through the hostal gate, talk to the hostal recepcionist, that is not very much willing to help you.
The existing hotel rooms are nice and very clean but there is a lack of structure. You you want breakfast, you have to tell the attendant and she will ask someone to buy some bread.
Do not go there at this moment, wait till the construction is finished!

Been to Hostal Corvatsch? Share your experiences!