“A good fish restaurant with a great beachside setting” 4 of 5 stars

Avenida del Mar, La Serena, Chile
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 63 restaurants in La Serena
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“A good fish restaurant with a great beachside setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011 via mobile

I have been many times and have always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The staff are always friendly and the food consistently good. The mariscos and fish are all good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
astro17
“Simply awful and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

This used to be one of our favorite restaurants in town. For many years, I was excited to visit it whenever I had business in La Serena. It was a beautiful setting with a lovely view, excellent wine list, and good food. This was all offered at a premium, for sure, but it was worth it.

However, since I've moved here two and a half years ago, the prices have gone up and up and the quality has gone down and down. Last time we were there, I ordered a pastel de jaiba, which is supposed to be a cream based crab dish, not unlike a very creamy crab imperial. I was served 4 stone crab claws on a plate! Clearly they thought that I wouldn't know any better; I was FURIOUS. I then ordered a shrimp dish and was served out-of-a-bag, pre-cooked miniature shrimp that you'd expect to see as a garnish for a salad. On top of that, we ordered another bottle of wine that we were charged for, but which never arrived.

The time before that, we were served a truly embarrassing Jardin de Marascos while visiting with a friend. All for the most expensive prices in town.

If you want a fine dinner out, go to the Oire in the new Enjoy casino or Porotas (near El Faro) and save yourself some grief and money!

• Visited December 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pasadena, California
“what a glorious dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

This is the place I have been searching for.
It all looks wonderful. I would love the sea food ....not to mention those corvin
Congratulations to the super chef

• Visited February 2011
Fort Collins, CO
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

The best restaurant I ate at while in La Serena. The waiter had them make a special vegetarin dish for me and it was out of this world. The view of the beach from this restaurant is wonderful. Go have dinner and watch the sun set over the water. It is just wonderful!

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Food, Mediocre Service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I decided to try this restaurant after asking local relatives which was the best place to eat in La Serena. Unanimously they replied the Tololo Beach, which surprised me given their differences in age and tastes. The enviroment definitely shows that the owner has been around. Modern and warm colors and real hand towels in the bathroom. Nice touches. We ordered Filete a lo Pobre (typical Chilean dish made of Filet Mignon, French fries, 2 fried eggs and caramelized onions) and Filete a la Parrilla (Grilled Filet Mignon) with assorted salads. The meat was of a good size (10oz) and perfectly cooked. The sides were all fresh and seasoned just right. All in all the food was top notch. Now for the negative side, our waiter. He seemed clueless from the very beginning. I am a Chilean native so the English barrier was no excuse. Even though we ordered two dishes, he only brought one. Fortunately, we decided to share one while the other one was being cooked. Lastly, while I was leaving he caught up to me to let me know that a little mistake "had happened". Instead of charging me $62 he had charged $118 into the credit card machine. I told the cashier to give me the difference in cash and walked away. Is sad when one person can make the essence of the restaurant, the food, less desirable. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. Just prepare yourself for a possible inconsistent service.