“Nothing to shout about” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lonely Tree Cafe

The Lonely Tree Cafe
No. 134, Street 121 | Kompong krobey Village, Svaypoa Commune, Battambang 02360, Cambodia
+855 53 953 123
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 70 Restaurants in Battambang
Cuisines: Cambodian, Mediterranean, Spanish, Asian fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Lonely Tree Cafe is a social enterprise impulsed by the NGO S.A.U.C.E with the goal to obtain profits to help finance the activities of the Apostolic Prefecture of Battambang.Our aim is to create a welcoming environment for our customers by offering a great service and food quality, as well as the opportunity to acquire unique Cambodian handicrafts elaborated with the best fabrics.The projects we support cover a wide range of humanitarian aid including education, support for the disabled, healthcare and preservation of Cambodian cultural heritage. At the Lonely Tree Cafe we give employment to underprivileged and disabled people: the staff consist of vulnerable youth and most of the products sold in the Lonely Tree Store are crafted by people with physical disabilities who are in permanent need.
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Nothing to shout about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I first visited this cafe about a week after they first opened and despite being disappointed, I decided not to review it then, hoping things will improve. I have since then visited it 3 times and sad to say, not much has improved.
First the positives: Friendly staff, nice bamboo interior downstairs and nice formal sitting upstairs.
However, the food (which is the most important component in a cafe/restaurant) leaves much to be desired. Although the pricing is average for most foreigner owned outlets in Battambang, the quality of food, size of portions and overall quality didn't match the prices.
This cafe is owned and operated by a Spanish church-based organisation and perhaps they are confident of patronage from only their brethren, but I think this is not the best approach to business - especially in the very competitive cafe/restaurant category here in Battambang.
I also noticed many positive reviews from "new" TA contributors (only 1 review?) but I think many are just friends and supporters to game the rankings here. (Pardon me if I am wrong about this but it will be interesting to see some of their reviewers actually review other outlets).
I hope they will improve their menu soon to give better value for money. I will revisit this place again in the future to see if they have moved from being a religious charity place (funded by donors in faraway places) to a real business outlet (focused on customers, services and profitability)

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Boa Vista, Cape Verde
“An absolute must!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Food is great: the mix of the local cuisine and Spanish traditional dishes is absolutely rivetting and a truly exciting experience which I recommend as an absolute must! I was travelling alone and I immediately felt at home at the restaurant where I met fun new people from all over the world. Plus: quality - price and service is top! The restaurant does not only offer unique food but also has a store with beautifully crafted hand-made goods which you must take home as a souvenir! As a matter of fact, I learned that the profits of both the restaurant and the store go to a non-profit organization.

• Visited July 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Best place in Battambang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

After 2 weeks visiting Camboya with college friends this was the best restaurant we visited. Delicious food (both Spanish and Khemer), charming decoration and wonderful staff. I specially liked the Spanish tortilla and the gazpacho (made by Spanish people) and the staff speaking very good English and very friendly. They also have cheap nice wines and a shop downstairs where they sell traditional clothing of the area made by handicapped. And furthermore, revenues are for the ONG. 100% recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Helsinki, Finland
“A must in Battambang!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent food. Very welcoming staff who were charming with the kids. A very nice mix of Spanish and Cambodian food. Eating the Spanish omellette for a moment I thought I was in Barcelona! Very nice atmosphere with international and local people!
Also a very nice store with handcrafted goods.

• Visited September 2013
Newport, Rhode Island
“very tasty and cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went there with my husband and children and we all really enjoyed the delicious food, the calm atmosphere, and the tasteful decorations. There is a shop downstairs that is worth a look, has beautiful shirts made by the handicapped. If I ever go back to Battambang, i'll be sure to visit the Lonely Tree Cafe again.

• Visited June 2013