“Don't miss the hidden cave” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Attractions in Battambang
Type: Ancient Ruins, Cultural
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
85 attraction reviews
“Don't miss the hidden cave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I arrived to Banan temple hill on a motorbike around mid-day when it was exceptionally hot. There is a $3 entrance fee to help maintain the temple (gladly paid). The long steps up to the top of the temple are beautiful. A Naga statue lines the bottom and top of the stairs, and its snake-scaled back makes up the bannister. As I climbed up the steps a young girl and boy joke-raced me and fanned me to help cool me down. We laughed and played until we got to the top and the little boy even showed me what he said were the "best spots." The view wasn't as spectacular as people had told me because there were a large amount of trees blocking the view, but it was still definitely worth the drive and climb to get here. I handed the boy and girl the equivalent of $0.25 each and they were more than ecstatic. To be honest, I'm not sure if these kids were on break because it was a weekend, or if they were taken out of school by their parents to make money at the temple. My suggestion would be to only give money to the kids on the weekends, and if you see them during the week don't as it encourages child hawking rather than education.

Just don't forget to head into the cave before you leave!

Visited October 2013

• Thai first
New York City, New York
“Nice temple hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I like Banan temple hill so much as it has a nice view, easy to take a fresh air and look around the hillside is so amazing .

Visited May 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden cave!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We were so glad when a local lady began to fan us on the way up the 300 plus steps; it was very welcome and she is only trying to make a living! The temple was very serene, although we were feeling a bit templed out after 2 days at Ankor! When we came to go down she led us through the back and down a precarious mountain path until eventually we came to an enormous cave! It didn't seem that large at first until a young local boy returned with head torches which we could then wear to venture into the vast bat laden cavern. I had never seen anything like it! It was a real warren inside and without our guide we would certainly have got lost! A brilliant experience but only go with a guide!

Visited August 2013
SE Asia
7 attraction reviews
“Mystical temple with a stair climb.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was led up the steps by a lovely little boy, who was fanning me down to keep me cool, from a fan that he made at school so he could some money (he didn't ask for a set amount). He pointed out beautiful and vibrant blue lizards on the way too. The temple is worth a visit if you are in Battambang, and the countryside on the way is also refreshing and relaxing.

Visited April 2013
Denmark
19 attraction reviews
“Its a good half day tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It was pouring down when we visited. I think at least 50mm during the hour for the climb up and down.

And it was a Cambodian Halloween holiday so half of Battambang was there too.

It costs 5 USD pr person to get in.

Its a long climb up but I guess in good weather it would be a nice and tranquil place to see.

I guess if you are in Battambang this is one of the places you must also see.

Visited October 2013