“Excellent intro to Battambang” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
UK
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent intro to Battambang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We had great fun kayaking down the river. Your money goes to supporting this local NGO run school, and the staff were great at explaining the project to us. No need for a guide - it's just a straight line - you can't get lost! I found it hard to get hold of their contact details so here they are: fedcambodia@gmail.com www.fedcambodia.org 017736166
Well worth doing instead of the long and uncomfortable boat ride to Siem Reap - means you can get the bus without missing out on the river scenery!

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Great fun but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Kayaking down the river was lovely, the views of little villages and watching everyday people who live around the river going about their everyday lives was lovely. Beautiful surroundings and the river was peaceful and quiet.
You start near the Green Orange restaurant and end up in the centre of Battambang town.
The trip is quite long (normally takes 2 and a half hours but we did it in 2), and can get quite hot.
I thought that the cost was too high- we paid $24 for renting one two-seater kayak, and oars and life jackets and had no guide with us, so I don't see how it can be so high - dinner costs us less than that every night here!
Also we didn't realise until we had set off and were alone on the river, but the kayak had NO back support- even there was a hole where one should have been- both of us had very bad backs by the end.
A nice activity but make sure to ask and check back supports.

Visited January 2013
Battambang, Cambodia
“Wonderful time on the river!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am really glad I got to float down the Sangker river with Green Orange. All the other reviews make good points - the kayak trip helps support a great community organization stay self-sustaining...take lots of water, check your back brace!

I would add that I opted for a guide...and took my own kayak. It was nice to have a local guide to answer random questions I had about Cambodia, to explain the local agricultural practices and customs as we floated by villages and boats and kids playing in the water. It was a small added cost and made the experience much more of a dialog and a social experience. I would be sure not to miss this on your trip to Cambodia!

Visited December 2012
Battambang
“Green Orange Kayaks - Local & sustainable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

If you are in Battambang, taking a trip down the Sangker River with Green Orange Kayaks is a great way to experience the country side from a different perspective. Green Orange Kayaks is a local, sustainable business run by the Friends Economic Development Association (FEDA) in Ksach Poy village (about 7km) from Battambang on the road to Wat Banan. The trip starts at Ksach Poy, where I met Sokha from Green Orange Kayaks as planned at 7:30am and gives a great opportunity to see Cambodian life along the river banks. The trip takes you through small farms and terraced vegetable gardens, traditional fishing techniques, then through the riverside village of Slarkram with a large Cham community and small fishing boats. Along the way there are plenty of opportunities to chat with local people going about their daily business, including a group of young children who swam out and spent about 10 minutes talking with me and taking the opportunity to practice their backflips into the water from the kayak (they were very careful not to tip the kayak though!) The journey ended in Battambang across from the central markets where I was met by Sokha about 10am. A thoroughly enjoyable experience on a slow downstream current (the river is quite low at this time of year) and the early morning start avoided the heat of the day. It also supports a local small business initiative so it was also a good opportunity to give something back while having fun! I cheerfully recommend this trip.

Visited April 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Important, check back brace straps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

before you leave the dock. Both of mine broke and my back now feels like I'm 100 years old. Still a wonderful experience! And don't forget to bring lots of water.

Visited November 2011