“Ants and hair for spice” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 70 Restaurants in Battambang
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Battambang
“Ants and hair for spice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Traveling around here doesn't make you very picky but can't give a good review after a hair and an ant in the soup. The flavour was okay but not one of my best meals. Though the atmosphere upstairs on the balcony was lovely!

Sydney, Australia
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Staff were too busy watching khmer tv to serve us,food was ok,but only just,quite a dismal experience after the reviews we'd read, constant begging on outside porch by children and adults spoilt the meal.I understand this is Cambodia but the locals weren't being harassed ,just the foreigners.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Great restaurant and Great services!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Don't miss this restaurant. This was by far the best meal and dining experience in Battambong province and at an amazing price for the quality and creativity of the food. I would say this was one of the best meals of my life and I will not forget it. The atmosphere was comfortable and unpretentious. I wish I had known about this place earlier in my trip so that I could have visited more than once! This would be a great meal and restaurant in any city, the only difference is in the Battambong province the price is much lower. Once again most of the drivers know that place!! I would like to recommend this restaurant to all of you !!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Battambang, Cambodia
“The Rose Puzzle Warped in a Mystery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

The White Rose Restaurant nestled in the heart of Battambang’s city center is a puzzle warped in a mystery. It’s an expansive corner eatery that serves a hybrid western-Cambodian fare. The place is perpetually crowded; with a mix of foreigners and locals. One might assume with that kind of thriving business it would indicate that its cuisine was something special.
It ain’t.
Actually the two times I dined there the dishes I had were disappointing. They ranged from mediocre (the chicken curry) to awful (the so-called chili con carne).
The chicken curry was a listless affair of insipid curry sauce, wide white noodles and a smattering of small pieces of boiled chicken. For inexplicable reasons the curry included soggy French fries mixed in the soup. All in all the curry was not offensive, just instantly forgettable.
Now the chili was in a dismal class all by itself. In all my years as a chili aficionado I’ve never tasted a batch of chili that was so non-chili. Not sure how to describe it except that in no way could what I was served be called chili- maybe stir fried veggies with shoe-leather beef, but certainly not chili.
The service was predictably slow and the hospitality staff not very hospitable. I don’t mind a long wait for decently prepared food, but for the low quality at the Rose, it’s annoying.
Which comes to the puzzle warped in a mystery: how on earth does a restaurant do such a brisk business when its food is so lackluster?

Visited May 2014
Cairns, Australia
“MAGGOTS IN THE FOOD!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We have just walked out of this place as half way through out meal my girlfriend noticed there were maggots in her meal. Whilst complaining the owner (or who we assumed to be the owner as he seemed in charge) picked one of the maggots off the food and gestured as if we should carry on eating. Before we had noticed it the maggots the food was very average anyway. As we stood up to complain some homeless kids grabbed the plates and ate the remainder on the floor, this didn't seem to phase the owner either.

• Visited May 2014