“Extra Special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inle Resort

You added Inle Resort to your Saves list
Inle Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mine Tauk Village | Nyaung Shwe Township, Shan State, Taunggyi, Myanmar   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Taunggyi
The Villages, Florida
“Extra Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I don't know why previous reviewers had anything negative to say about the Resort. It was wonderful. I was just there on the 31st of October as part of a Grand Circle Travel tour. The hotel is situated right on Inle Lake in Burma. My cottage was located right on the water (in fact, in it!) I had a wonderful view of the Lake only a short distance from the dining hall. The landscape was beautiful and was attended by at least 6 gardners (beautiful Burmese lladies) I had my first message there. It was wonderful and the price was right. The food was very good in my opinion. The Restuarant Manager was a French Chef and acknowledged that by the time we got to their hotel that foreigners might be tired of the Burmese style food and had selections on the menu to give you a change of pace that included such things as a Steak and Cheese Sandwich. It was a welcome change for me. The room had mosquito netting for the beds, a well operating Air Condition and Heating system and a BIG shower (big enough for at least two and maybe four if that makes your boat float) This is a perfect place for those who just want to chill out, grab a drink and watch the sunset or just relax. If you are not on a tour of the area, I must say I don't know what else you would do. The place is isolated and there is nothing around and no place to go without special arrangements.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I am flabbergasted to say the least at the negative comments about this beautiful hotel. What do people expect when you are in the middle of a lake in the middle of a third world country. Our experience was 100% positive from the approach on arrival, the welcoming smiling staff, the beautiful grounds, the great spa and the biggest surprise was the food, some of the best we have eaten in Myanmar. The manager Mr Bruno Chagnon was very hands on. He was there at breakfast, lunch and dinner doing the PR bit going around every table, speaking to everyone. And his training of the local village young people is to be commended especially in the restaurant. These youngsters come from homes with mud floors and no running water and yet they know how to open and pour wine correctly and how to address guests. We even saw him supervising the gardeners. Sometimes they forget things but hey thats part of the charm to coming to isolated places like this. We were actually in a Garden Villa initially and it was fine, we moved to a Royal Villa for the last two days of our stay because when our travel agent booked all other accommodation was booked out. And yes it was large, beautiful and well furnished, we did have to pay a lot but believe me it was worth it. If we ever come back to Inle Lake we would stay here again with no hesitation. I do agree about the grey towels but once again please remember where you are and if Mr Chagnon says they are being replaced I am sure it has already been done. Chill out people, be thankful you are in the enviable position to travel the world and experience such beautiful scenery, sunsets, different cultures and happy smiling lovely people. Or better still stay at home and watch it on TV and spare the rest of us your whinging.

Room Tip: Bite the bullet and pay extra for a Royal Villa. You are a long time dead
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
brunoinleresort, General Manager at Inle Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all thanks a lot for your wonderful review on our hotel, it is really much appreciated to see that all the efforts of the hotel team lead to an enjoyable stay for you.
Yes, you are right, many of our staff are young and they try hard to learn how to provide a good service and I think that their efforts to progress in addition to their natural smile and their kindness is certainly noticeable by anyone who realize where we are.
Thanks again for having noticed that.
Yes, you are right already a large part of the towels had been changed and the remaining will be also done as soon as the other part will arrive. Problem of color was mostly due to extremely hard water (excessive amount of calcium in the water hardness).

We will continue our efforts to always upgrade our quality of service to provide the best to our guests.

With my bests regards,

The management.
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Approach to the hotel by boat was promising. The reception looks lovely. People are enjoying the sunset out the front (note there are never enough sun chairs - they should put them all out instead of holding back until people are standing for 5 minutes and then bringing out a couple at a time). There is nothing else to do at the hotel at 5.30pm and the sunset is glorious from the front of the hotel so put them out and encourage people to order one of your expensive drinks. Anyway check in was fast and friendly. Upon being shown my room I stood there in shock for a few minutes as I was so disappointed but I didn't want to whinge (too much) as there was no point as I was stuck there for the next three days. The room is dark and dingy. The best part of the room is the living room. The bedroom part just doesn't look like you want to spend any time in there. Lots of brown wood and fluorescent lighting. The bed has fuzzy brown blankets. I guess years of sanctions mean they cannot source nice modern white duvets but hopefully this will change soon. Yes this is in the middle of nowhere so one must make allowances (for lack of professional service / lack of facilities) but the decorator should be shot. I read that the interior is supposed to resemble a 16th C Shan palace and the exterior and shared common parts of the hotel are lovely with the bougainvillaea etc and lovely wooden roof, but the rooms just look like a summer camp. On the plus side the air-con reverse cycle heating works very well and the room is warm at night. There is a mosquito net turndown service at night which is great. The shower has excellent pressure. The shower curtain is a bit mouldy. I was in a medium priced room out of the three levels. Pay extra as the views are better of the lake and that is what you are there for. Plus some of the more expensive ones are newer I think. I looked longingly in at the ones on the front. I was already paying usd 200+ but I tried to pay more to upgrade to a better room. However I couldn't as they were fully occupied. I heard another am trying to get into my hotel so I can only imagine what his was like. Bring your own toiletries if you are fussy. Theirs are so so. The towels are grey as someone wrote it's true. I guess this does not mean they aren't clean just that they are used (a lot) which I can forgive. The worst part is the lack of nice lighting to make the room homely and feel clean. The sheets were clean to be fair although I doubt they wash the fuzzy brown blanket very often. There is a safe which is good. At night after the boat drops you off you are pretty much stuck in the hotel for the night at their restaurant although this hotel is on land at the edge of the lake at the base of the mountain I am pretty sure there is nothing out the back in the way of restaurants. I don't think there are taxis to drive you to town. There is very limited lighting so you are stuck in their restaurant which is at best average. Dinner was interesting. The manager came around and introduced himself which was great PR. He is a lively Frenchman. He is doing a reasonable job but he is only one person. The staff are super friendly but are very young (all teenagers?) so of course their inexperience is forgiven especially as they are so friendly and are trying hard. They just need a proper system. Eg they should write things down so they don't ask me my room number at the beginning of the order then about ten seconds later at the end of the order. They also need a table numbering system as I assume the position if the tables doesn't change each night. We saw five waiters walk out with two stuffed fish and walk in a procession to each table asking if they ordered the fish. After going around to 50% of the tables they walked back into the kitchen. My soup came but I felt the chef was trying too hard to be fancy. The soup was poured into my bowl at the table over fresh tomato. It tasted ok but not amazing. I would prefer big bold flavours with less pretension rather than a fancy looking dish that misses the mark and tastes ok. Breakfast is ok. Fresh omelettes made to order and fresh honeydew and watermelon juice are the highlights. Somehow the whole breakfast experience is not amazing but I can't put my finger on it. This hotel could be great if they sort out the dim lighting, the fuzzy brown blankets, the lack of nice fluffy white slippers (perhaps they are being environmental as they have rubber ones that every other guest would have used), the food (make it less fancy and better quality - think simple but good). A glass of local Sauvignon Blanc wine is usd 5 ++ which is on the expensive side as it's local but I guess all the 'four star' hotels charge that so why shouldn't this hotel. Dinner for two with one beer and one coke was usd 40. Yes this is a hotel so fair enough. For comparison a restaurant in the lake is usd 15.

• Stayed November 2013
brunoinleresort, General Manager at Inle Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thanks for your comments on our hotel, that we will take in great consideration.

As per the sunset chairs, you are right, and we had instructed our staff to set all the chairs since each morning from now-on.

As you mention that the room was dark, we had instructed our staff to open all the shutters in the room to make them more lighted, usually we keep some of them closed to avoid them to become to hot prior check-in. We had also received new bed side lamps, with LED bulbs, which will provide more light.

50% of the blankets are going to be changed in the coming week, as some of our fluffy quilts has on their way and the other part will be changed also in coming weeks as soon as they arrive, but I might emphasis that our brown blanket are very often washed and are totally clean.
Also the new shower-curtains will be set at the same time as we were just waiting for their delivery.

They are taxis available on request to the reception if our guests book them and if they wish to visit the Nyaung-Shwe town.

Hoping that all those prompt taken actions will meet the requirement of our guests, we do hope to see you in our resort on your next passage to Inle Lake and we will be delighted to welcome you again.

With My Best Regards,

The Manager
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Ok- when u get there is a pleasure to see the place- well located, straight on the lake and with a nice reception, but that's it.
The room is totally disappointing. I guess its better if u go for one pf the villas, but the standard room is an old, stinky one, with no charm.
The restaurant is really disappointing- they charge US prices with no shame- 5 usd for a beer...cmon! And breakfast was totally disappointing, neither big nor good- the omelette was the only acceptable thing.
What also pissed me off is that the reception accused us of stealing the laundry bag... Seriously, in a 4 star hotel, this is not acceptable. Total disappointment.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
brunoinleresort, General Manager at Inle Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry to find out that you find our room dispointing.
Usually our 40 sq/m "Garden Cottage" rooms with a view on a private little pond and with a terrace are appreciated by the guests. And surely our villas are really a place for a nice stay.
Saying that our rooms are stinky, old an without charm is certainly not justified as one can see in all the reviews about the hotel and on the photos.

Regarding to the restaurant, disapointing: you said, we had brought a Myanmar Chef coming back from some of the top restaurant in Dubai and he join us 3 months ago. Unfortunatly, as it seems to be the beer price wich was a concern to you, we can't do anything on that matter.

Breakfast buffet: with croissants, raisin rolls, jam puffs, 1 local dish, eggs to order, bacon, saussage, jams, cereals (3), yoghurt, salads, ham, salami, etc,,, it seems unrealistic to call it :"neither big or good", but we still open to any suggestion.

With Regards,

The Management
Staplehurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

we were greeted warmly, given a pleasant drink and the oldest cold towels on our greeting.

the rooms were at first glance lovely, however they were a bit tired. my main complaint was the towels, these were very very old and had worn thin and were greyish in colour,they need replacing immediately, they are not acceptable for this standard of hotel
i was ill during the night and also vomited , we reported this to bruno the manager, only to be told that it was ' impossible' and was not caused by his restaurant ( it was the only place i had eaten that evening.

the next day he did not inquire how i was and ignored us at supper, they is no where else to go and eat so we had to eat there the following evening, i had curried vegitables and was alright.

the dining room is a most unpleasant room, very large and dark with odd lighting.

r.houghton

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
brunoinleresort, General Manager at Inle Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
We had well noted your remarks and a quick action has been taken regarding the towels, they had been checked by our Housekeeping department and the incriminated-ones had already been replaced, thanks for the comment.

However, regarding your sickness, we had checked with the F&B department and we found out that on that night, 27 persons had eaten the same dish than you and no-one had any problem. Also following your own personal diagnostic, you had been sick in the night, few hours after your dinner wich according to the 2 doctors whom I asked seems a too short timing to be the cause, as following to their says, it seems to take between 8 to 24 hours before the symptoms appears, so it might be more realistic to think that your sickness was more related to your lunch period (outside of our hotel) or even from your previous dinner, where you were not yet in our hotel yet.

Regarding our dinning-room, all our guests usually appreciate this replica of "Shan Palace" from sixteen century, decorated with traditional "Shan" paper lamp and showing the ability of the workmanship of the Myanmar people, we are sorry that you did not like it, but qualifying it as the most unpleasant room seems a little bit hard saying.

With my Best Regards,

The General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

breathtaking location especially if you stay in one of the new, royal villas.

Villas are built on the pales put into a shallow water of the lake. we stayed in the royal villa and it was simply great. nice exterior and interior design, very clean and spacious. what's important there were no mosquitos (and any other bugs) in the villa. The villa is for 2 but they can put extra beds and it is easy to fit 2+2.

they have a huge restaurant with a good diner menu (nice pizza and burgers for kids and "coq au vin" for adults) but not as good breakfast. staff is truly welcoming. net, great place to stay if you want to explore Inle lake…which is the real highlight of Burma!

if you find my reviews helpful, vote it so! see my other reviews of Burma with kids and Asia with kids.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Superb hotel of 'lodge' style on the shores of Inle Lake. An achievement in its own right to create and run such a place. We went as part of a tour and so had the most basic rooms which were very good and even had a balcony over a little creek. Unlike some reports of Inle Lake, we found little problem with insects/mosquitoes (we did use basic preventative measures including the excellent Ultrathon). Splendid views from the main lakeside terraces and the expensive rooms must have wonderful views. Rooms were very comfortable, big and with a little luggage vestibule, an outdoors balcony and with all good services. WiFi available in the rooms (free) but more reliable in the reception area. Beds confortable. Staff, as elsewhere in Myanmar, courteous and helpful.

The place is accessed mainly by boat - and the same boats are used for day-long cruises around the lake. We were fortunate with the weather but be aware that they are narrow (four or five seats in a single row) and completely open, though most have umbrellas.

The bar and restaurant was very good indeed: one might expect extremely high prices as the guests are effectively 'caught' but the mark-up on wines was what one would expect (Red Mountain Shiraz $28 against $10 in the local shops and over $60 in one Yangon hotel) though a gin-andt-onic seemed likely to set one back $10 including service and tax which does seem a lot. Some dishes, especially the local Myanmar-inspired ones, were liked enormously. Breakfast was a big buffet spread with eggs cooked freshly to order. Everything was good. We would have liked to stay longer and thoroughly recommend the place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inle Resort? Share your experiences!